LIO DAC

firedog

LIO DAC
« on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:29 am »
Vinnie, is the statement:
Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates from 44.1kHz to 384kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible).

accurate for both the BNC and USB input, or just the USB. If not the BNC, what are it's limits? Can the BNC accept DSD?

Thanks

Vinnie R.

Re: LIO DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:17 pm »
Vinnie, is the statement:
accurate for both the BNC and USB input, or just the USB. If not the BNC, what are it's limits? Can the BNC accept DSD?

Thanks

Hi firedog,

This statement is true for the USB input.

For the BNC and optical inputs, the max. input signal resolution is 24-bit / 192kHz.

The BNC (coax) and optical inputs are SPDIF inputs... and as such, they do NOT accept a DSD input.

Vinnie

brh

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:26 pm »
Hi firedog,

This statement is true for the USB input.

For the BNC and optical inputs, the max. input signal resolution is 24-bit / 192kHz.

The BNC (coax) and optical inputs are SPDIF inputs... and as such, they do NOT accept a DSD input.

Vinnie

Am I correct in understanding that the limitation is the AKM DAC chip takes in a DSD stream via its I2S line, and the XMOS handles both USB interfacing and DoP to DSD deencapsulation? Meaning a potential I2S input (suggested elsewhere) could also be capable of receiving a straight DSD stream?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:19 pm »
Am I correct in understanding that the limitation is the AKM DAC chip takes in a DSD stream via its I2S line, and the XMOS handles both USB interfacing and DoP to DSD deencapsulation? Meaning a potential I2S input (suggested elsewhere) could also be capable of receiving a straight DSD stream?

Hi brh,

Correct - the XMOS chip handles the DSD input (via USB) and DoP, and I2S is fed to the dual AK4399 d/a chips.

If an external transport can feed a similar DoP stream, then I don't see why a straight DSD stream could not fed in.

I have to admit that I'm not used to seeing I2S lines being used beyond runs just a few inches on a PCB.  I would think
that running long lengths (over HDMI) would result in high jitter and defeat the point, but I am NOT saying that is happening
with those who are doing this.  I'm sure it is all in the implementation.  Just trying to see the benefit.  :wink:

Vinnie

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm »
Vinnie, the implementation being used here is called LVDS i2s (HDMI); I don't understand the technical details, but it is designed for longer lengths than a few inches. The reason to implement it is that users report that in many cases it is their best sounding input.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm »
Vinnie, the implementation being used here is called LVDS i2s (HDMI)

Thanks for the clarification, firedog!

brh

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:24 am »
I think the idea behind this implementation of I2S is that jitter is reduced since there's a dedicated clock signal coming from the source. Anyway, I've never heard a setup that uses this, and I don't really have any need for/interest in it, I just like hearing the technical details… thanks for entertaining me!