Any chance of a set of towers?

Dadn5kids

Any chance of a set of towers?
« on: 30 Nov 2007, 05:07 am »
So after having to sell my complete HT system due to a work accident and the subsequent 2 years off for knee surgeries, I'm slowly putting a system back together.  I've purchased a Cary Audio Cinema 11 processor and Butler Audio 5150 for the amplifier.  I had a Cinema 6 and 5150 combo for my last system and loved it, thus the repurchase of like products.  But I've decided after hours of research that direct marketed speakers seem to offer the best value, even tho I haven't had a chance to audition any.  I am very intrigued by the Sapphire XL/XLC combo after reading all the reviews, both professional and personal.  My only concern is that they are monitors.  The reason for this concern? Identical twin boys age 11, boy age 9, boy age 7, daughter age 3, 2 dogs, 1 cat.  Yep, my house is a crazy all the time.

Since I don't have a dedicated HT/listening room, the placement of speakers has always been a concern.  Being that it is a family used room, the gear placement is typical - placed against a wall, with perhaps 12" from the back of gear/speakers to the face of the wall.  Just enough room for the cat, chased by the dog, chased by the young son, chased by the older son to get into.  The cat tried to climb the back of the big screen tv, which incited the dog to bark madly and try to jump up to get the cat, which brought the smaller young son behind the gear, promptly hooking the speaker wires of the book shelf speaker on the stand, pulling it all down in a resounding crash.  Since that experience a few  moons ago, I have taken a VERY strong liking to heavy one piece towers with low mounted binding posts.  While all my children fully understand that the wrath of Dad will be incurred if such an action happens again, I fully understand that kids are kids, pets are pets, and that neither are predictable 100% of the time.  And, accidents happen. 

If a tower speaker is used, in my special situation, I can at least eliminate the joining of monitor speaker and stand, and replace it with one unit that might stand up to a modest bump or push.  So this brings me to my question.  Is there any chance that ACI might be bringing out a tower in the near future?  I remember the Talisman and wish I had been one of the fortunate people to have purchased a set of those.  But alas, it was not in the stars at that time.  And if ACI isn't going to make a tower, can a special order be made that would convert a Sapphire XL into a tower that could be loaded with sand/buck shot on the bottom level for stability?  Or could a pair of the XLC's be converted to a tower, thus giving three identical speakers across the front sound stage?  I would think the XLC would lend itself to a very remarkable front end being used like this. 

Well, thanks for your time in reading this post.  May your bass be solid and your treble non fatiguing.

Dadn5kids

Photon46

Re: Any chance of a set of towers?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2007, 10:47 am »
Hmm, I wonder if ACI (or any other accomodating manufacturer) could perhaps install a pair of T-Nuts in the bottom of a pair of monitor sized speakers which would allow you to secure your speakers to the base plate of appropriately designed stands. If some method of securely mounting speakers to base could be devised, that should be as stable as a pair of towers. To be honest, I don't think my Talismans would be all that stable if someone were pushing them side to side. However, if you added a pair of aftermarket extended outriggers that are sold to allow the use of better cones (can't remember the manufacturer at this early hour,) that should make a tower speaker considerably more stable.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Any chance of a set of towers?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2007, 02:49 pm »
I’d recommend a matching set of three XLCs on the dedicated Sound Anchors stands. Stability is determined primarily by the ratio of height to width. This would be a low and wide solution . . . . inherently stable, and of course sounds fantastic.

For additional security, you could drill holes through the stands into the bottoms of the XLCs and attach with screws. This would be just about impossible to knock over in any circumstance! PM me ASAP if interested as XLC cabinets are in very short supply right now  . ..