Two-Thirds V2 build...

Chops

Two-Thirds V2 build...
« on: 24 Feb 2012, 04:25 am »
Today I got a couple of boxes in the mail. Well actually, they showed up at my girlfriend's office.  :green:

What came in those boxes are two SA-1 plate amps and the V2's four Eminence 12" woofers. That's the two-thirds part. The last "third" will be my own choice of driver for the top end (working with somewhat limited funds). This is where the Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 fullrange drivers come into play.

I've had the Alpair 10.2's for a month now, the majority of that time breaking them in on small 12" x 12" open baffles. I started off using the little Dayton DTA-1 amp to run them in. A week later, I was tired of seeing that blinding blue LED shining in my face all day, so I decommissioned my main speakers, also a creation of Dannie's, the AV123 X-Statik, and have been using that amp on them, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro.

I think the SM-70 Pro is the perfect match for the Alpair 10.2's. It's a small Class-A with only 25 watts of power, but it has plenty of balls and control to get the 10.2's to sound great, even on their small temporary baffles. They are being crossed over by my receiver at 40Hz. Bass duties is being taken care of by dual Polk Audio PSW505 subwoofers being crossed over at 125Hz. It's not a perfect match by a long shot, but surprisingly enough, it's sounds pretty darn good most of the time!

Anyway, the project is going to consist of pretty much a DIY clone of the awesome V2's, but I think I'm going to shape the side panels more in favor of the Super-V's with their more modern, sharp, edgy look. One of my friends that I work with has a nice shop with all the proper tools at his house and has offered to build these for me! He said all I have to do is give him the plans and the materials and he'll do the rest. I've seen his work before (a lot of the furniture in his house) and he does mighty fine work!

The only real issue I'm going to have is figuring out the passive crossover for the Alpair's. I don't have to worry about the woofers obviously with the use of the SA-1 amps. If I can get away with something very simple like a single cap and possibly a zobel network, I'll be happy. Although, I have to say, these little Alpair's are doing a LOT of things right just being wired directly up to the amp.

It'll probably be a few weeks still before I get started on this project, but just wanted to start a thread about it because I got all the parts in for it. I can't wait until I get them up and running!
« Last Edit: 29 Feb 2012, 05:19 pm by Chops »