new 'bookshelf' speaker needs a name?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: new 'bookshelf' speaker needs a name?
« Reply #60 on: 11 Feb 2013, 03:01 pm »
Glad to hear you are moving forward with these. Would love to hear more about them. I may need a pair here :wink:

R_burke

« Reply #61 on: 11 Feb 2013, 08:45 pm »
 :bounce:   :thumb: :banana piano:   :bowdown:  and that's all I have to say, other than can't wait

bummrush

« Reply #62 on: 11 Feb 2013, 09:21 pm »
The Pirouette

ThomDP

« Reply #63 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm »
Aphrodite.  :thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #64 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm »
Aphrodite.  :thumb:
I like that though I had been running with Pan...

btw these will be  among other things really perfect as studio monitors, acting as a point source with a wide sweet spot and even on and off axis response.

thanks,
lou

fado

« Reply #65 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:11 am »
When you say "studio" monitors do you mean that they will work the same as "near field" monitors for mixing such as Mackie, Adam, Tannoy, etc?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:18 am »
When you say "studio" monitors do you mean that they will work the same as "near field" monitors for mixing such as Mackie, Adam, Tannoy, etc?
yes, they will be very well suited as near field monitors.
there really is a need for a higher quality near field monitor than what is commonly used...

fado

« Reply #67 on: 12 Feb 2013, 01:28 pm »
Many of the "pro-audio" studio monitor speakers built for mixing are individually powered. Will yours have that option?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 12 Feb 2013, 05:18 pm »
Many of the "pro-audio" studio monitor speakers built for mixing are individually powered. Will yours have that option?

I feel that one of the reasons those type of studio monitors sound so bad is that they use internal amplifiers (of questionable quality) and electronic crossovers, so no they will not be powered. I know that can be convenient for a small studio but that is a compromise i don't care to make.

thanks,
lou

mmcentyre

« Reply #69 on: 13 Feb 2013, 02:29 pm »
Hi Lou.  How deep do you think Pan will go -- mid 40's?  I could never afford your floorstanders (despite my attempts to save money), and I think this opens up your speakers to a whole new group of music lovers.  I bet many will start here, and move up the chain as finances permit.  It's a good thing you increased your workshop space.  I'm pretty excited, frankly.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 15 Feb 2013, 06:05 pm »
Hi Lou.  How deep do you think Pan will go -- mid 40's?  I could never afford your floorstanders (despite my attempts to save money), and I think this opens up your speakers to a whole new group of music lovers.  I bet many will start here, and move up the chain as finances permit.  It's a good thing you increased your workshop space.  I'm pretty excited, frankly.

these should be pretty smooth down to the low 40's and a gentle slope below that so they can couple easily with a sub.
thanks,
lou

steve76

« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:02 am »
Very cool, Lou, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to pass it along.

Abstractly they strike me as a somewhat smaller version of the DA-RMa's. I'm not sure if the DA-RMa's are suited for near-field listening as the Pan's seem to be, but do you see a clearcut "guideline" based on, say, room size or listening style where one might be more suitable than the other?