Is anyone using the Super 3 XRS with...

chadh

Is anyone using the Super 3 XRS with...
« on: 14 Sep 2006, 08:18 pm »

a gainclone?  The XRS has some physical characteristics that make it particularly appealing for my stereo space, but I'm wondering if anyone has a good feeling for how they mate with something like the Channel Islands VMB1s.

Likely, the system would also include a simple 6sn7-based pre-amp and a modified squeezebox.

Thanks.

chad

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Is anyone using the Super 3 XRS with...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2006, 08:35 pm »
I have the Omega Super 3 Bipoles V1 and use a DIY 100w/ch @4ohms Gainclone with a Mapletree Line 3 SE tube pre. I like the sound so far but I'm still tweaking the system and speculating on what acoustical treatments I want to employ. A stock Squeezebox 3 and a yet to be deployed Bolder modified Power-One power supply will complete the system. I also use a Onix 10" sealed subwoofer to fill in the bottom end. I will probably have Wayne mod the SB3 sometime down the road.

Raja
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2006, 01:07 am by rajacat »

schotter

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 12:52 am »
Sort of a gainclone here. I use it with a 47 Labs Shigaraki and like it a lot. It is definitively on the fast side, very much 'there'. Rather like a full-on live gig it's musical but not romanticizing. Exact imaging, the soundstage is spacious, slightly behind the speakers with voices, horns and guitars a bit more forward. Bass is well-defined and bigger than expected from these speakers. Amazing stuff with acoustic guitars or chamber music. A bit revealing with thin, mid-bass-lacking or just plain bad recordings (80s indie pop, some electronic in my case). Can't comment on the squeezebox, it's all CD and analog here.

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:26 pm »
Hi schotter,

Works well with the AudioZone, but don't know about Channel Islands. I haven't heard them.

Thanks again,
Louis