Newbie questions about Omega XRS

humanflyz

Newbie questions about Omega XRS
« on: 12 Sep 2006, 03:34 am »
Hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to speakers, but based on some very positive word of mouth, I became aware of the Omega XRS speakers. So far, they seem really nice, but I am wondering how they would sound in a small room. My room measures 10'x11'x8' (WxLxH), and my speaker setup will probably be diagonal. What I'm worried about is that the Omega XRS will sound boomy and too overwhelming in my room due to the small size and the difficulty in positioning them. I currently have a Pass Labs Aleph 3 amp, which puts out 30wpc. Thanks.

humanflyz

Re: Newbie questions about Omega XRS
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2006, 06:52 pm »
No replies?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:02 pm »
Hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to speakers, but based on some very positive word of mouth, I became aware of the Omega XRS speakers. So far, they seem really nice, but I am wondering how they would sound in a small room. My room measures 10'x11'x8' (WxLxH), and my speaker setup will probably be diagonal. What I'm worried about is that the Omega XRS will sound boomy and too overwhelming in my room due to the small size and the difficulty in positioning them. I currently have a Pass Labs Aleph 3 amp, which puts out 30wpc. Thanks.

Hi humanflyz,

Welcome to Audiocircle!

I recommend the Super 3 V2's over the XRS for your room.  The V2's are front ported and are not boomy when placed close to walls (in my experience). 

Here is a 6moons review of them (by Jeff Day, who recently reviewed the XRS) from back in December 2004:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/omega2/super3.html

The Skylan Stands are a great match, too!  :)

Best regards,

Vinnie

humanflyz

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:12 pm »
@Vinnie:

I thought about the Super 3 V2s, but I'm just a bit concerned about bass extension, because I'm a sucker for a taut and extended bassline 8) I'm not sure if the Super 3 V2s go low enough for me without a subwoofer. Do the Skylan stands help with that?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:30 pm »
@Vinnie:

I thought about the Super 3 V2s, but I'm just a bit concerned about bass extension, because I'm a sucker for a taut and extended bassline 8) I'm not sure if the Super 3 V2s go low enough for me without a subwoofer. Do the Skylan stands help with that?

While the V2s have nice tight, "fast" bass, they don't go much lower than 55Hz.  The bass that they do make is very clean though...

I don't think the stands help with getting deeper bass, but you can play with the height of the speaker to get better bass reinforcement in your room. 

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

humanflyz

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:58 pm »
Thanks Vinnie, and BTW, I might buy one of your Sig 30s for my K1000s one of these days :green:

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:19 pm »
Hi humanflyz,

Thanks and welcome.

Vinnie is right about the XRSs and they really have great bass for there size. The speakers are also very fast so close to wall positions won't hurt. The tilt back gives you even more adjustments. The Aleph is a good match and Nelson Pass tried the Super 3s and gave me great feedback regarding the combo.

The Sig 30 is amazing with both the K1000s and the XRSs.

Thanks again,
Louis