Gainclones with Omegas?

masi76gc

Gainclones with Omegas?
« on: 8 Mar 2006, 02:10 am »
Has anyone tried using one of the popular "Gainclone" type of amplifiers with Omegas?  I am especially interested in LM3875-based amps with Omega 3Rs.  I am interested in hearing about peoples experiences and impressions, positive and negative about this or similar combo.

maxwalrath

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2006, 02:14 am »
I used the audiosector patek with great results driving the 3R's

mcgsxr

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2006, 01:36 pm »
I am using an LM3875 gainclone with some Visaton drivers, exactly what are in the A8's - great combo, in my books.

CJ Paul

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2006, 03:47 pm »
I was loaned an LM3875 gainclone by a friend from another forum that I'm using with my Hemptones.  I liked it well enough that I'm building one now.

masi76gc

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2006, 01:24 am »
Thanks for the replies.  What do people feel in terms of how Gainclones compare with tube-based amps.  For examples, how would you compare LM3875-based gainclones to 2A3-based SET amps when used with Fostex-based Omegas or similar speakers?

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:05 am »
I found that mixing the Gainclones with tubes to be a great combo. You get the speed and transparency of the the gainclone with the lushness and palpability factor of tubes. It kind of adds the ying to the yang ..if you know what I mean.

CJ Paul

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:41 am »
I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps.  I've only really heard them at shows (RMAF) so obviously not in my own system.  That said, the gainclones are really designed to provide a killer midrange.  My plan is to pair my gainclone (when I get my own built) with a tube preamp.

maxwalrath

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2006, 06:33 am »
If you can add a tube pre to a gainclone with some Omega I think you are killing the game (getting the best of all worlds).

masi76gc

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2006, 01:47 am »
Sounds like the overwhelming recommendation is to try the Gainclones with a tube preamp.  I do currently use a tube preamp to drive my current favorite solid state amp, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro.  Does anyone, then have any experience comparing the SM-70 Pro to the Gainclones?  I think it might be interesting, because the Monarchy also has a very nice mid range.  Many describe the Monarchy piece as sounding a lot like the older Pass Labs amps.

Sarchi

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2006, 03:51 am »
Nothing in the world can match the midrange of a 2A3 or 45, the 300B is also very close and maybe there are a couple others, I haven't heard them all.  BUT... this is only true on speakers with >98dB sensitivity.  IMHO

The Gainclones can drive more speakers and are in general much better value.  Probably 85% of the SET realism, if such a thing could be measured.

Bemopti123

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2006, 04:22 am »
Quote from: Sarchi
Nothing in the world can match the midrange of a 2A3 or 45, the 300B is also very close and maybe there are a couple others, I haven't heard them all.  BUT... this is only true on speakers with >98dB sensitivity.  IMHO

The Gainclones can drive more speakers and are in general much better value.  Probably 85% of the SET realism, if such a thing could be measured.

I had the 47 Labs Shigaraki and let me tell you, it reaches the palpability and midrange qualities of my 300B amp to about 95% of its quality.  How GHM has said, Op Chip amps kick some serious butt, especially with fullrange drivers.

KT

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2006, 04:40 am »
Tube preamp + Gaincard =    :thumb:

Currently I use a dialed-in Cary SLP-94 and Gaincard. I've also had very good results using the Electronic Tonalities Foreplay preamp (amazing bang for the buck).

Haven't used them with the Omegas, but works great with Lowthers.

You haven't heard how good the chipamps can be until you put a good tube preamp in front of one.

Best,
KT

Dmason

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:02 am »
I've been saying this for awhile. Add a really juicy tube in front of a Gaincard, or T amp and it becomes whole. In my case I chose a very minimal circuit, summed to one NOS Ken Rad 6SN7 which is pure liquid ambrosia, right into the ClariT and BOOM. Synergy. I bet the GC are just as synergistic.

Using it with 1/2 inch tape via Samsung (Fostex) PAL stereo VCR deck. Man what a rig. Try good analogue with GC/T and tubes in front. Best of all. Guaranteed.

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2006, 09:27 am »
I've had a Monarchy SM70 and enjoyed the heck out of it. It is also one of my favorite amplifiers. The GC is just as transparent..maybe just a tad more transparent. The GC is also extremely neutral sounding. More so than the Monarchy which has that Class A warmth that I really love.
The GC is also quieter than the Monarchy by a few hairs.

The GC sounds almost like a piece of wire with gain between the preamp and the speakers. It's the closes Amp I've owned to not sounding like there's an amplifier in the signal path at all. The Monarchy falls right in there behind it.

I got the idea of using the Single Power MPX 3 Slam from Dmason. He and Bemo are right about the mix...the music is more liquid now. I couldn't see using the GC without the tubes in the mix. It just wouldn't sound whole anymore.
The area where the GC surpasses tubes is its absolute transparency and speed across the frequency band..they are deadly fast little buggers with tremendous bass on the right speakers!!!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:39 pm »
Here's a product that puts a tube pre-amp together with a chip amp:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/jlti_mk2_e.html

Sarchi

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2006, 06:08 pm »
Quote from: GHM
The area where the GC surpasses tubes is its absolute transparency and speed across the frequency band..they are deadly fast little buggers with tremendous bass on the right speakers!!!

Not to be argumentative :roll: but I believe DHT's used with the best  ('modern') output transformers on the best 'modern' single-driver horn speakers...whew...  will be just as fast and linear as anything that we've seen so far.  I agree with you about the bass, triodes in even the best setup will always be missing a lot in the bottom octave.

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2006, 08:04 pm »
JLM the Blue Circle FtTH Hybrid Integrated Amplifier is another one. I would love to hear one. Thanks for the link .. I've never heard of that integrated until now.

mcspack

no tubes here
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:32 am »
running my lowther pm2a drivers on OBs paired with a homemade sub and driven by TVC buffered inverted gainclone, sound is unreal!! definetly magic with the lowthers.

source is a modded samsung uni player

MC

chadh

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:43 am »
GMH - Are you still using the singlepower "loaner" as the tubed buffer in your system?  Or have you actually bought one?  I thought you were awaiting an EQ Tubey for this job.  Any new reports?

Chad

GHM

Gainclones with Omegas?
« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2006, 12:19 pm »
Quote from: chadh
GMH - Are you still using the singlepower "loaner" as the tubed buffer in your system?  Or have you actually bought one?  I thought you were awaiting an EQ Tubey for this job.  Any new reports?

Chad

Hi Chad still using the SP loaner at the moment. I haven't communicatd with Mikhail in about a month. Too many other things going on. I really haven't bothered as I was enjoying the Slam model so much. Actually I had already paid down on the EQ tubey. So the unit I'm using now is partly mine until the EQ is completed or not.  :lol:

I told Mikhail I was in no rush to let the MPX3 Slam go. In the end this may become the tube buffer / preamp in the system. I like having the gain control of the MPX3 Slam. I've considered having this unit slightly modified. Bypassing the selector switch and having one of the RCA inputs converted to outputs. This way if I ever get a separate amplifier, I can use it as a tubed preamp . With BGs through out and a 600 volt Plitron transformer, this little headamp is a force to be reconed with..that's for sure. Driving long ICs or worrying about ICs pf is an after thought with less than a 20 Ohm output impedance. It is also the quietest tubed component I have ever heard in my home or anyone elses for that matter. I have to remind myself this is a tubed unit and not SS..it is that quiet.

The other night I watched the movie about Johnny Cash " Walk the Line" with this system. I could feel the upright bass slaps and the foot stumps from my seat. My wife commented that it almost scared her when the band started to play. Coming from two drivers and nothing else(no sub,center or rears) was a compliment.