Grande 6 Speakers

Uke Player

Grande 6 Speakers
« on: 17 Sep 2004, 12:06 pm »
I sent an email to Omega speakers asking about one of their speakers. Louis emailed me back saying that while the speaker I asked about was a good speaker he thought that the Grande 6 was a better speaker. I called Louis and ended up ordering a Parisian Red Maple Grande 6.

The Grande 6 speakers arrived sooner than Louis said they would. The first thing that I noticed was that the fit and finish was some of the best I have seen. I liked the way the connectors in the back of the Grande 6 were set out so it is easy to hook up any kind of speaker wire.

I have the Grande 6 well broken in now having run them over a hundred hours. I have the Grande 6 hooked up to a Harmon Kardon Trio tube amp rated at 12 watts a channel. The other euipment I am using in this system consists of a NAD 533 turntable with a Grado Blue cartridge and a Marantz CD-17 CD player.

I broke the Grande 6 speakers in using some generic oxygen free speaker wire. From reading in the Omega forum page I found that some people were using Cat 5 wire. I remembered that I had a pair of Cat 5 speaker wires that I had bought a few years ago and had never used. With the Cat 5 speaker wire the Grande 6 speakers really opened up. They have a bigger sound stage than my PSB Stratus Gold speakers and quite enough bass for the small room that I have them in. I rarely have the volume knob on the Trio amp up more than a little over a quarter of the way and the Grande 6 speakers are plenty loud for my tastes.

Thanks Louis for suggesting the Grande 6 sperakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Grande 6 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2004, 12:16 pm »
Welcome to the circle.

superdow

are you using a single strand of cat5? eom
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:12 pm »
xxxx

Uke Player

Cat 5 speaker wires
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2004, 09:15 pm »
The Cat 5 speakers wires were ones I bought already made up on Ebay. They are three complete cables braided together with the outer covering still on them and spade connectors.

My 32 year old son was over today and he heard the Grande 6 speakers for the first time. He really liked the sound, he liked that they had better highs than most speakers he had heard. I played him some disco and he also liked how low the Grande 6 speakers went.

Louis O

Grande 6 Speakers
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2004, 02:12 pm »
Hi Uke Player,

Many thanks for joining the circle.
I'm very happy you went with the Grande 6s and couldn't be happier that your enjoying them in your system. Great to haer you like the Red Parisian Maple finish too. Out of the laminates is the one I like as well.

Glad you went for the Cat 5 cables. I have made them out of 2 lengths of cable braided together and worked out great. It's a very good match.

Thanks again,
Louis