newbie hello!

mullman

• http://mullwerks.com
newbie hello!
« on: 29 Sep 2004, 01:42 pm »
I've heard of Omega but never went to the website until today.
Wow!  Nice work! :D

Some of you will recognize me from the Decware forum as I own two Selects (one is forsale) and have the new SE34-2 on order.  Also building a pair of Paramours.

Omega speaker seems to be well respected on both the Bottlehead & Decware sites - it is rare that these two groups agree on anything, so these speakers must be special.

I'm quite happy with my DIY Buschhorn MKIIs with Fostex FE108E Sig drivers, but always looking around for something else I guess.  Can your speakers be used in a small room (11x12x10) and sound right WITHOUT a sub, in your honest opinion?  I'm somewhat nearfield approx 6 ft from drivers.

FYI I have built two pair of the Parker 95s which are advertised as "engineered for the Zen", but after the excitement wore off I just could not settle in with them - missing too much low end - maybe I'm more of a full range guy sans the hissing tweeters...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
newbie hello!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2004, 09:26 pm »
Mullman,

Glad you made it over here.   :)

You asked if the Omegas can "sound right" without a sub.  That's a subjective question.  The warmth of the TS1 and TS2 can help "fool" you into believing that you have bass satisfaction.  Most of the rest of the line up are Fostex FE127E based, that provide a suprising amount of bass considering the size of the driver.  All the Omega speakers I've heard sound surprisely good (in that bass reflex is not normally associated with Fostex drivers and taking price/size into consideration).  Good enough that I told Louis that the Super 3 only needed a sub to put them fully a step above the TS1/TS2.  The dual driver versions can be wired to provide a 4 ohm load to help match up with the Select.

Generally the Omega speakers do not provide more bass than the Parkers (having heard both).  You can do the math on the maximum output to be expected using a Select.  Both Dave and Louis are fine young gentlemen.

Louis O

newbie hello!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2004, 01:59 pm »
Hi mullman,

Welcome to the circle. Many thanks for your kind words.

I also have the Paramours in my soundroom in N.J. and the Decware. Both are really great amps and amazing value too.

All the speakers sound great with the bottleheads and the Decware, but the Decware really likes the dual driver speakers in 4 ohms. The TS33s and the BPCs. The drawback to the BPCs is that they really need alot of space behind the speakers. JLM knows me well and he's right about my attention towards the 127Es. I like this driver a lot and they are very surprising, especially in bass response in the Super 3 and the TS33s. I do have more plans with the drivers as well. They are great in the nearfield being single cone and have amazing soundstage and imaging.

Thanks again,
Louis