TS3 and Super 3 placement

cil

« on: 9 Jun 2004, 04:19 pm »
Hi, I'm interested in the TS3 and the Super 3 Standard. However due to some limitation, I can only place speakers in 2 of the corners in a small room. Will the TS3 or Super 3 work well with this limitation?

Thanks

CIL

Bwanagreg

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 06:12 pm »
The front firing port makes room boundary bass loading much less critical than for speakers that have a rear port.  I have TS-1s up against a rear wall (with lots of acoustical treatment behing them though) and they work very well.

I would be concerned about side wall early reflections in a corner. If you can line the walls in from of the speaker  liberally with thick acoustical foam that should really help. If you can put a bass trap behind the speakers in the corners that should also help I would think.

cil

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2004, 06:16 pm »
Where can I buy the foam and bass trap? and can you tell me how much will they cost?

Thank you very much.

cil

Bwanagreg

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:11 pm »
I bought my foam from these two sources:

http://www.foambymail.com/soundproofing.html
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com

Foambymail has the best prices, but Acoustical Solutions has some really thick anechoic chamger foam (8") that I use selectively to absorb nearfield reflections from a bookcase. I don't have bass traps myself (my room is very well damped for bass), but the corner foam at Foambymail should work pretty well.  In either case get the thickest foam you can afford, ideally at least 3".

Are you familar with the mirror trick to find where you should place foam? The idea is that high frequency sound and light both reflect off of a wall the same way - the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. Have someone move a mirror around on the side wall in front of one speaker, while you sit in the primary listening position.  Move the mirror until you can see the center of the speaker driver in the center of the mirror. Mark that spot - it should be covered by foam. Repeat for the other speaker and side wall. The foam in these locations will absorb the first (strongest) reflection from the speaker. Since you are placing them in a corner you'll want to cover the wall from a little in fromt of the the marked spot all the way back to the front of the speaker if you can. That should reduce the corner horn loading effect quite a bit.

Of course, the further out from the corners you can put the speakers the better. You should also try aiming in the speakers in toward the listening position. Spend some time experimenting - you might find that small placement changes have a big effect.

Good luck!

cil

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2004, 09:56 am »
Thanks.
btw it seems that the TS2 standard only costs a little more than the Super 3 standard. Which one has better dynamics and imaging? In my situation, which one will you recommend?

Thank you very much.

cil

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2004, 10:57 am »
TS2 sounds warmer/more romantic, less accurate/analytical than the Super 3.

TS2 is slightly more efficient and will play louder than the Super 3.

Within it's volume range the Super 3 should have better dynamics (being the smaller, lower mass driver).

Without a whizzer the Super 3 should image slightly better.

Keep in mind that both being Fostex single driver, bass reflex designs by the same vendor that they will sound much more the same, than different.