The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #40 on: 7 Dec 2009, 02:33 am »

I do think they should put the impedence and voltage specs up for those that want it.  But clock, jitter rates, asynchronicity, chipsets, etc, -maybe not so much.

-Tony

Not to further beat a dead horse, but...how about just "what it plays" as in bit depth/sampling rate(s)...or for the friends of yours that just want a DAC...."plays cd's" ?   :o

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #41 on: 7 Dec 2009, 02:35 am »
No output impedance spec. or voltage output spec. make it impossible to ascertain if it will work for me.

Audio by Van Alstine also does not publish specs for their equipment but all a person has to do is call because they are not a secret, plus AVA has a stellar reputation for quality. A new company has to go the extra mile to get customers, flowery obtuse language only goes so far.

The website says "the Tranquility DAC is the cumulation of over three years of research and development by an assembled team of engineers who previously worked at Bell Laboratories." so publishing some actual numbers should not be too hard.

Without some hard information about the quality inside, the dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC is destined to be just another flavor of the month.

Wayne

AVA also offers a 30 trial with no restocking fee. When the Insight DAC was first offered I took advantage of this, at the intro price, and compared it to the Bryston BDA-1 in this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64204.msg583793;topicseen#msg583793
I had to email Frank to get the specs and Bryston publishes theirs on the web.

bunnyma357

« Reply #42 on: 7 Dec 2009, 02:36 am »
I think a USB only DAC has to partly be considered a computer peripheral - and info on what it is compatible with needs to be provided. The market is people who want to use a computer as a music server, so I think it is a different segment of the audiophile market than those that would just buy a standalone DAC on reputation alone.

As others have noted too much fluff and not enough info will turn a lot of people off. If I need to go through the trouble to contact them to get basic info, I feel they don't respect me or my time and it would take a LOT of great word of mouth to get me to consider their product.

Based on everything I've read it sounds like a great product - I'd still like a lot more info before dropping a grand.

Jim C

ehider

« Reply #43 on: 7 Dec 2009, 08:29 am »
Hello to all from dB Audio Labs :D

Mgalusha, thank you for inviting me into this thread to shed some light about dB Audio Labs and to explain some details about our new Tranquility DAC. So, Guys, PLEASE cut me some slack on this first posting as I will attempt to provide you guys with the tech details you all wanted that wasn't outlined via our website.

First, a little about "who is dB Audio Labs". We are a very different audio manufacturer than what many audiophiles are used to seeing. Just as Traderxfan considered, we will NOT sell products based on specs alone. Our philosophy is to sell products based on TRUE SONIC PERFORMANCE, period. What does "true sonic performance" mean to us? It means that we want to offer audiophiles products by "winning the day" when compared to other similarly priced products in listening comparatives. How many times have you guys followed the marketing/techno-number-bit hype over the years and just replaced one digital product with another one year after year? Waiting for the "digital promise land of sound", yet it never really happens! In dB Audio Labs products, you WON'T find any cheap and dirty connectors, capacitors, resistors, wires or other abysmally meager sounding parts in anything we offer. We will work our "R & D tails off" to develop and offer products for prices that are a fraction of what other true statement level sounding products are selling. Yep, the REAL expensive ones!

We won't have fancy magazine ads, we won't have the 50% brick and morter dealer mark-up and we will be VERY efficient with everything we do. And, we will NOT price our products when we could double, triple your price based on how it compares to others. What does all of  that mean for you guys? Real breakthrough sounding products at very real prices. Finally, everything will be designed, manufactured and assembled in the United States. And we do our due diligence to win in direct sonic comparatives. We will be "measured" by this standard. That's what dB Audio Labs is all about.

Now, on to answering many of the inquiries that were on this thread (note, some redundant answers)

- The Tranquility is a computer connected via USB DAC with many refinements and optimizations that are unique to dB Audio Labs. It is based around a special chosen NOS chipset with refinements on the USB input, the transmission paths, jitter reduction, the NOS chip itself, the power supply, the regulation, the output stage and some proprietary things we hold very closely to ourselves. Hence the Tranquility design is a holistic cumulation of design elements that is meant to "sonically exceed" anything else, with any other technology near the price we are selling it. We define "sonically exceed" as: true harmonic naturalness, soundstage depth, space and sonic decay that are analog's traditional strengths that have been typically elusive from a digital source.

- The "NOS" DAC we use has 16 bit internal native resolution (we aren't revealing the exact one we use other than to say is the BEST sounding of all the NOS chipsets we evaluated).

- Since NOS chipset architecture is built differently from a 24/192 solution, ours will "flag the computer" to automatically send the dac playback fitting its native 16 bit resolution, hence, this is how the Tranquility DAC manages to play the high rez music files from the computer. (BTW; the flagging of the computer to auto adapt to the dac connected is true for 98% of ALL computer/USB DACs, regardless of DAC maufacturer).

- The trademarked "cryo treatment" of our IC's was meant to show the obsessive LEVEL OF DETAIL we have gone into with every single little refinement we found and subsequently incorporated into the Tranquility. We are not going to Trademark all the crazy refinements we incorporated into this DAC and then subsequently trademark dozens of names ;-)

- Yes the DAC will playback 24/176, 24/192; fitting the DAC's native 16 bit rez and NOT spit out any sort of buzz. Yes, it works!
- The output of the DAC exceeds 2 volts rms.
- The output impedance of the DAC is approximately less than 50 ohms.
- The signal to noise ratio is > 96dB
- Yes the DAC plays 24/96 music files by fitting its native 16 bit resolution
- The DAC will "convert" high resolution files (via the computer being flagged to send it 16 bits to the DAC) - hence; the computer automatically does the actual "converting"
- It should NOT really be considered "Redbook only" since it WILL play the HIGHER files, just at it's internal 16 bit native resolution.
- The USB input implementation is not using the specific async. technology.
- The USB input is a cumulation of selected low jitter parts, unique low litter pathways and proprietary receiver optimizations meant to keep the cost of the dac from skyrocketing, avoiding using costly async. or other methods.
- The Tranquility is only the first of a series of DACs to be made by dB Audio Labs.
- Professional magazine reviews are forthcoming and will be published late winter/ early spring.

Our design team is assembling a very extensive "white paper" on our website soon (within a few weeks) outlining the technical depth of our development process, technical discoveries and unique technical refinements that encompass the Tranquility DAC and application theories

Side notes / specific answers to posters here:

SRB: Your quandary to playing back on Windows avoiding the K-mixer is an issue with all USB dac solutions using the driver you have chosen. Go to Wavelengths website and check out their step by step solution outlined for another driver you can use. Or you could update your Windows Operating System too. Did you know the later Windows OS will sound better than XP's, even with your avoiding the K-mixer with XP's OS? Feel FREE to email me for other issues to your quandary if you want to get into a USB connected / computer digital solution.

konut: We will revisit our restocking fee once we take away the $500 off introductory promotion and sell the Tranquility for the full $1495 MSRP. Currently our margin at the $995 promotion is very, very slim.

WGH: Don't forget to look for our white paper in a week or so you can get your "hard technical information".

Thanks to all on this thread for your feedback, concerns and insights.  :thumb:

brj

« Reply #44 on: 7 Dec 2009, 07:23 pm »
Hi Eric - glad to see you were able to jump into this thread!

A couple of quick comments...

1) Please add a signature that indicates your affiliation with an audio related company, as discussed in the "Disclosure" section of the Industry Participants policy
2) You're above post is great, and I encourage you to continue responding to direct questions within this review thread.  I suspect, however, at some point you may want to provide more general support oriented information.  As such, I might suggest that you create an additional thread in the Product Support Threads circle.  (Note that industry participants can only have one thread here, so consider that when discussing multiple products.)

(You're not new here, so please pardon me if I'm repeating the obvious!)

And for what it's worth, I'm curious to someday audition your DAC as well, based on what I've heard to date, although I confess that I'd hate to give up the 24 bit capability of my current DAC, and would need to know that you support operating systems other than Windows.  (It isn't clear to me whether you require/supply your own USB driver or not, but I may have missed it.)  Of course, you can also put me firmly in the camp of those that want as many specs and data as I can get, even if I do let my ears be the final judge! ;)

Thanks!

Co-mod of the Critic's Cricles

Jon L

« Reply #45 on: 7 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
Hello to all from dB Audio Labs :D

- Since NOS chipset architecture is built differently from a 24/192 solution, ours will "flag the computer" to automatically send the dac playback fitting its native 16 bit resolution, hence, this is how the Tranquility DAC manages to play the high rez music files from the computer.

Thanks for providing the additional information.  If I understand correctly, however, the DAC will "play" (make sound) 24 bit/96 kHz files, but 24 bit is truncated to 16 bits and 96 kHz (or 88.2 to 192 kHz) is downsampled to 44.1 kHz.   

ehider

« Reply #46 on: 7 Dec 2009, 09:53 pm »
Hi brj,

We look forward to having moderators such as yourself getting a chance to hear the Tranquility! As far as your inquiry regarding if our dac works with both Operating Systems, yes, the Tranquility DAC works with both PC and Mac without having to install anything whatsoever. Hence, it works for PC or Mac right out of the box.

As far my affiliation with dB Audio Labs, I actually wanted to post under the new user name we attempted to register under the user name - "dB Audio Labs". We've been waiting for an approval from your system to no avail. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your support!

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
Hi JonL,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding that the Tranquility dac plays the non-standard "hi rez" music files (such as 24/96, 88.2 and 192 files) with this method. Hence, the Tranquility and the computer automatically communicate into sending/receiving 16 bit information so Tranquility's NOS dac's native resolution is exactly matched.

In a nutshell, the computer ends up automatically knowing what to send the Tranquility, so the Tranquility DAC seamlessly plays all music files, regardless if they come from "Redbook" (regular CDs) or any of the hi-rez formats too.

Cheers!

Eric H

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:22 pm »
FYI, there is another review out on the Tranquility DAC:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rdgtl&1260416833&openflup&1&4#1

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #49 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:12 am »
Ok. I ordered it on Saturday, and it arrived today (well technically Monday, I just haven't gone to bed yet) lightning fast delivery for the ol post office.

I really intended to just get it all hooked up, and then leave it play for a day or 2 and not even listen to it. But since I am new to using a mac, I have been trying to figure some stuff out... so I had to.

Anyway. Fresh out of the box, no fireworks. But I have to say, after just a few hours in on this thing, and it is starting to sound SPOOKY good. I mean, you have the title right- "Wow!"  This is very exciting new addition to my setup.   :thumb:

[My system is Geddes Abbey tops, on gr research dual ob servo subs, powered by the 30.2 red wine integrated, fed by tranquility dac, read off of itunes on mac mini Aiff files. Reality cable for interconnects and speaker wiring, but just an old usb 2.0 cable for the mac to dac. And I read upgrade of USB actually should make a significant improvement too.  I have a nice open area it plays into, and several room treatments to give some absorption.]  I had used an onix cd-5 player, which I thought was quite nice.
This was the last disc that I just listened to, when I had that spooky good experience
http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=SACD323&productcategoryid=3
Audiophile Vocal Recordings
by:
Various Artists

Should have a Dodd buffer preamp in a couple weeks, which should also make some magic...

-Tony

jhm731

« Reply #50 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:04 pm »
Has anyone compared this USB DAC to the Wavelength Proton USB DAC?

It does 24/96 and has a headphone output and volume control for $900.

http://www.usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html

trianglezerius

« Reply #51 on: 17 Dec 2009, 12:51 am »
Hi JHM731,

To your question about the Proton, I talked with another guy who's had a ton of the USB dacs including many Wavelengths all the way up to the $3500 Crimson. He said his new Tranquility is quite a bit better than any of his old Wavelength dacs including the Crimson. And he said that the Crimson crushed the Proton sonically (it should though for 3X the price!). I must qualify I wasn't there to hear all these differences but he seemed to have turned over more rocks than myself on the varios USB dacs. I wanted him to post here but he's pretty afraid of some of the other guys attacking him due to their harshness towards my thread. I just don't understand how anyone here could be so hard on a company that brings out such an overperforming dac for so little money. At this point I'm pretty convinced the Tranquility is in a whole different league.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #52 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:07 am »
Hi JHM731,

To your question about the Proton, I talked with another guy who's had a ton of the USB dacs including many Wavelengths all the way up to the $3500 Crimson. He said his new Tranquility is quite a bit better than any of his old Wavelength dacs including the Crimson. And he said that the Crimson crushed the Proton sonically (it should though for 3X the price!). I must qualify I wasn't there to hear all these differences but he seemed to have turned over more rocks than myself on the varios USB dacs. I wanted him to post here but he's pretty afraid of some of the other guys attacking him due to their harshness towards my thread. I just don't understand how anyone here could be so hard on a company that brings out such an overperforming dac for so little money. At this point I'm pretty convinced the Tranquility is in a whole different league.

I really don't find it all that hard to understand myself at all. I see where the doubts lie very easily and they have been expressed quite often if you feel the need to try and understand them for yourself. What I won't do myself is slam a product that I myself haven't heard nor will I slam someone who has heard it. But that doesn't mean I don't have my doubts like everyone else.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #53 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:14 am »
I think a lot of what some folks are calling harshness was just a repeated request for some basic information (like sample rate capability).  We got that, we're over it.  I hope everyone is (doesn't seem like it), and is willing to give this inexpensive NOS USB DAC a shot. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #54 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:21 am »
Frankly I can't wait to hear more about this DAC myself,,, hopefully from some knowledgable AC folks whom I know.

Cheers,
Robin

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #55 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:56 am »
Well, anyone near western suburbs of Chicago, that wants to hear this thing in action?

-Tony

tubesound

« Reply #56 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:20 pm »
If high resolution music is downsampled to 16/44.1, how big would be the loss in sound quality?

I'm guessing the dac chip is a or several TDA1541As.

And a comparison between Tranquility and Ayre QB-9 would be interesting ...
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2009, 07:18 pm by tubesound »

pardales

« Reply #57 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:06 am »
Well, anyone near western suburbs of Chicago, that wants to hear this thing in action?

-Tony

I'd like to hear more of your impressions in another week or so, after you have had some time to get used to it and listen to a variety of music.   :D

truant

« Reply #58 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:13 pm »
my Tranquility arrived this afternoon.  I'll follow up with some initial impressions this weekend. 

newzooreview

« Reply #59 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:21 am »
Any first impressions to report, Truant?

I have to say, although intriguing as this new DAC appears to be, it raises my skeptical eyebrow:

1. Two reviews pop up on Audiogon and Audiocircle in early December, and there's a buy-now-or-pay-50%-more sale promoted in conjunction with each of those reviews.

2. Each of those reviews touts the DAC as being clearly better than a buddy's or friend's very expensive, very well-reviewed source: on Audiocircle it's "my buddies [sic] $9K AMR player" and in the Audiogon review a friend lends the reviewer "the new berkley alpha dac that everyone is raving about".

3. The representative from the manufacturer here will not speak in plain language. Firstly, the DAC cannot receive a signal above 16/44.1, which is CD Redbook bit depth and sampling frequency. The DAC requires that the operating system down-sample any higher resolution files to the Redbook standard. So, if you have high resolution files, you won't hear the benefit. That doesn't mean that this DAC doesn't sound wonderful, but there's no need for the representative to be so circuitous in stating that. He even goes so far as to call high-resolution files "non-standard." That kind of lame spin just lights all the bulbs on my B.S. meter. Files above 16/44.1 are standard in recording studios and down-sampled when CDs are produced. They are also standard on DVDs and Blu-Ray. And they are readily available now for two-channel audio.

4. The representative won't tell us what the DAC chip is. Why so evasive? If someone opens the DAC won't the chip be sitting there--with the part number on it? Or has that been scratched off? The DAC chip is only part of the story in the overall sound of the DAC, and I fully respect the emphasis on sound quality as the most important specification, but withholding such basic information is strange. It does not inspire trust or confidence.

So, as I said, I am skeptical. I really hope I'm wrong and it's everything it's touted to be, but geez the approach to introducing it to the public leaves a lot to be desired in my book. If it is better than a $10,000 DAC for $1500 then I'll get lin line and eat my words. Happily. So I hope I'm wrong.