all I want for Christmass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lazydays

all I want for christmass is a new phono stage!
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage with two inputs
all I want for Christmass is a tubed, dual input phono stage with external 
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage, with dual inputs, external   
     loading, and of course in black with it's own power supply
gee I almost wrote a song
gary

Rob S.

Is my 9/30/06 order of my candela to be finished and mailed to me.  Keep at it ALex!!!

Merry Christmas to all,

Rob S.

Haoleb

all I want for christmass is a new phono stage!
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage with two inputs
all I want for Christmass is a tubed, dual input phono stage with external 
all I want for Christmass is a tubed phono stage, with dual inputs, external   
     loading, and of course in black with it's own power supply
gee I almost wrote a song
gary

Well shucks, All I want for Christmas is a Candela and I thought I was asking alot.   :thumb:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Rob S.

Your Candela has been playing notes for the past 15 hours and just passed my final testing!  aa
It should be on your way later on today...

Enjoy and happy holidays :guitar:

Alex

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Guess that leaves a slot for me. 

I just want Plitron to ship my transformers to Klaus/Alex so he can build my Mono Extremes.

Bryan

DMi

I will second that motion for the transformers to show up. Looks more like mid-January.

Doug

Steve Vol

Are the transformers for the amps on back-order?

DMi

I don't want to start a rumor.

What I know is that the transformers for "my" Stratos extreme monos are on back order and that Klaus expects some mid-January. According to him my order is setting there assembled lacking only the transformers now. I am not sure of other details other than to say his normal source has been slow to respond to his orders.

I wouldn't wait to order if you're planning on doing so based on my comments. My experience with Klaus is it normally takes a while to get things but the wait is well worth it. 

I hope that's helpful.

Doug

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Absolutely - they'll be worth the wait.  I know he had them on order and his supplier didn't ship everything he ordered.  If it's mid Jan, then so be it. 

Bryan

lazydays

I'm still singing that damned christmass song!!
gary

DMi

Darn. I thought I still heard singing but I assumed it was in my head.

Did you have a phono pre-amp in mind your lusting after? I am still waiting on the Mono Extremes here and I have been craving a universal player for digital but haven't found my hearts desire yet.

Doug

lazydays

Darn. I thought I still heard singing but I assumed it was in my head.

Did you have a phono pre-amp in mind your lusting after? I am still waiting on the Mono Extremes here and I have been craving a universal player for digital but haven't found my hearts desire yet.

Doug

I've been dropping hints to anyone that's willing to listen! I just think it's stupid to have to take the top off a preamp to make a normal cartridge load adjustment. All this should be done externally, where one could test while playing music. Secondly; many folks would like to have a second input for something like a mono cartridge. It'd just be nice to have all this in one box. I may go with one of those Bellari VP 129 preamps to handle chores from a planned excursion into the world of mono jazz. the other problem I have is that I have nowhere to hook a second pho preamp into the candela without removing something I listen to on a regular basis. I gotta think on this some more.
gary

DMi

Just poking around on the web it seems like about half of the phono preamp makers think the same as you about it being silly to have to remove the cover. I have been using a Project SE for sometime and it has DIP switches outside the box, it's a match for my Grado which certainly isn't high end and my tweaked Revox B790. I haven't shopped around much but it seems like you have to be in the 2-3K range to get multiple inputs and a few of the preamps in that neck of the woods actually let you use a remote to change the values.

Considering a lot of pre-amps and processors don't even include internal phono sections anymore and the record business actually seems to be thriving it might just be a matter of time.

To get somewhat on subject... How's the Candela sound and what are you matching it with?

Doug

lazydays

Just poking around on the web it seems like about half of the phono preamp makers think the same as you about it being silly to have to remove the cover. I have been using a Project SE for sometime and it has DIP switches outside the box, it's a match for my Grado which certainly isn't high end and my tweaked Revox B790. I haven't shopped around much but it seems like you have to be in the 2-3K range to get multiple inputs and a few of the preamps in that neck of the woods actually let you use a remote to change the values.

Considering a lot of pre-amps and processors don't even include internal phono sections anymore and the record business actually seems to be thriving it might just be a matter of time.

To get somewhat on subject... How's the Candela sound and what are you matching it with?

Doug

Well I had a discussion with Klaus a couple days ago, and he feels the amps are not completely broken in yet (he should know better than I do). Anyway I have new cables being made to further things along, plus a pair of power cords on the way for both cd players.
     The amps are Stratos Extreme mono blocs with all his goodies installed. The candela is just the way he shipped it (I see no need to change the tubes out yet). The speakers are Meadowlark kestrel Hotrods, and I use a Marantz 8260 and a Jolida CD100A for the digital devices. I see no need for an upgrade in any of these units. The turntable is an Acoustic Signature Final Tool with a Graham Robin tonearm. The cartridge is a Denon MC feeding a George Wright WP100 phono stage. Going to replace the cartridge with a Grado Reference Platnum soon as I get the time. The Speaker cables are 10ft long Synergistic Alphas, and the IC's are:
8260 / MIT's
Jolida / ZU Gede
T.T. to phono P.A. is a Graham (have a custom made ZU waiting to go in it's place)
phono to Candela / Synergistic Alpha
Candela to amps / MIT (this really smoothed out that connection)
power cords:
both digital devices will get MIT power cords very soon
T.T. is factory OEM
preamp is OEM, but will be getting a Stealth cable this afternoon
amps are Gronenberg
    The amps replaced a tube amp in an all tubed system, and tobe truthfull I had some serious second thoughts about doing this. The Candela replaced a Quicksilver line stage that always seemed like it lacked something, but still had a nice sound (cables?). The other pieces were unchanged before switching out the amps and preamp. I also had a Nakamichi R202 tape deck and an Onkyo tuner in the old setup. No longer have a place for the tuner, and of course there's no tape loop. Didn't use either pieces very much anyway.
    So how does it sound? Pretty damned good right now, but seems tobe a prime candidate for some minor tweaks. Mostly cables, but have now noticed a very slight feed back problem in the turntable (very slight at most). The amps are plugged directly into the wall receptacle, and I don't like this at all.
    The speakers are about two feet too far apart, but that's as close together as I can get them. Still it's not as noticeable as you'd think. They are bi-wired, and just slightly bright in the mids (cables?). The preamp is a killer with a 160 hours on it! Imaging to die for, and really fits in well with the amps. The system is very, very fast, and has more bass than I ever dreamed it could have. Maybe the best acoustic jazz combo I've yet to hear under $7500 (if not $9K). Constantly hearing new things on recordings that I've never noticed before. But it's not there yet! I think we are still in the hunt for the very lowest end of the register in the tenor sax (maybe two octaves). With the S.S. amps the keyboards have now became slightly bright (cables or break in?) Drums are the best I've heard regardless of how much cash spent, and the timing with the brass is a story in itself (I can actually pick up the distance between each piece of brass). The upright bass was very good in the old setup, but maybe getting even better (starting to open up in the S.S. amps). The sound appears tobe coming from about eight to ten feet in front of you (speakers are about ten feet out), so I'd put it four or five rows from the front. Vocals are excellent, but have a real test in the works. I have a local singer dropping by to listen to some new material, and some of her old stuff. So what she has to say will be of great interest.
    So I'd have to say at this point that what I felt was burnt in, was not burnt in. But getting there (amps probably have about 450 hours on them). Changes will be done one piece at a time to keep me outta trouble. As I said most changes will be in cables with a pretty good bunch of work in the turntable setup. I may add a DAC to the Marantz sacd player for redbook playback. That's a ways off. The Jolida is going to be re tubed in the next couple weeks, as well as the phono stage (has a tube getting bad).
Good day
gary

DMi

I'm still waiting for the monos but going on vacation so I can wait a bit. I hope to be able to pick them up after I get back from relaxing... directly from Indy.

Sounds like a nice setup. And yep even here with a multi-channel setup (Anthem AVM-30) and Maggies backed up by a subwoofer, vinyl sounds better than SACD. I don't have the investment you have in turntable, etc and no tubes but there still is a significant alure to wiggling a needle.

I still have an older Stratos Stereo Plus driving the fronts and it's destiny is to be a three channel when I am done with the round of upgrades. I don't have anything plugged directly into the wall. I use a Panamax A/V unit that has a couple of high output unfiltered connectors which the amplifers are plugged into. It has saved the bacon more than a few times and since I live out in the country power can do flip-flops or I can have a near lightening strike most any time.

Also the phono pre-amp and the turntable are plugged into a surge strip that is on one isolated connection away from the digital and the power amplifiers. It still routes through the Panamax A/V unit but keeps them close to the same grounds to prevent loops. That might be part of the hum issue, but it sounds as you are on it.

I suspect that Klaus is likely to be right about the burn in. He knows his stuff well and is more often right than wrong about combinations of stuff. Good luck on the phono amp hunt and happy listening.

Doug

lazydays

I'm still waiting for the monos but going on vacation so I can wait a bit. I hope to be able to pick them up after I get back from relaxing... directly from Indy.

Sounds like a nice setup. And yep even here with a multi-channel setup (Anthem AVM-30) and Maggies backed up by a subwoofer, vinyl sounds better than SACD. I don't have the investment you have in turntable, etc and no tubes but there still is a significant alure to wiggling a needle.

I still have an older Stratos Stereo Plus driving the fronts and it's destiny is to be a three channel when I am done with the round of upgrades. I don't have anything plugged directly into the wall. I use a Panamax A/V unit that has a couple of high output unfiltered connectors which the amplifers are plugged into. It has saved the bacon more than a few times and since I live out in the country power can do flip-flops or I can have a near lightening strike most any time.

Also the phono pre-amp and the turntable are plugged into a surge strip that is on one isolated connection away from the digital and the power amplifiers. It still routes through the Panamax A/V unit but keeps them close to the same grounds to prevent loops. That might be part of the hum issue, but it sounds as you are on it.

I suspect that Klaus is likely to be right about the burn in. He knows his stuff well and is more often right than wrong about combinations of stuff. Good luck on the phono amp hunt and happy listening.

Doug

Actually I virtually stole that turntable! It was bought off Audiogon for $1250 (he even paid the shipping from Chicago!), and was about three months old. When I bought it I also had the chance to get the Shelter cartridge for $300, but declined at the time because I'd never heard of them before (really dumb!!!). I called my friends at the Elusive Disc, and they said the Graham was just what I needed. Already had a solid state phono preamp laying around. Later the Wright WP100 came into my system. Looking seriously at one of the better Origin tone arms for a future upgrade here. I still have a Music Hall #5 laying around (it needs a new dust cover really bad), and will put it into my bedroom system later in the year.
gary

lazydays

OK Klaus,
I think we need to add a pair of 30 watt set mono blocs to that Christmass wish list as I think they'd really make my bedroom system zing!!
gary

DMi

You didn't just virtually steal it... you got a outstanding deal on the table. Most of my listening is on the little silver disks (SACD and up-sampled CD) but I have heard some Graham phono pre-amps and it should be a great match even if you pick their least expensive model. You probably really regret not grabbing the Shelter!

Personally I am back from vacation. Although from 87 degrees to 10 degrees in one day I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I will contact Klaus sometime this week and see how the transformer shipments and my Extreme monos are coming along. I hope to have them soon.

Doug

lazydays

You didn't just virtually steal it... you got a outstanding deal on the table. Most of my listening is on the little silver disks (SACD and up-sampled CD) but I have heard some Graham phono pre-amps and it should be a great match even if you pick their least expensive model. You probably really regret not grabbing the Shelter!

Personally I am back from vacation. Although from 87 degrees to 10 degrees in one day I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I will contact Klaus sometime this week and see how the transformer shipments and my Extreme monos are coming along. I hope to have them soon.

Doug

You know I had about 350 hours on my mono blocs, and felt they were there. But I now am pushing 500 hours and can still tell they are making subtel changes. Noticed the depth is changing on the right bank (figure that out!). I'd almost swear that the sound is getting higher in the room. Been breaking in a new cartridge for a week now, and I think I need to open the phono stage up for a different load setting (have no idea what it's set at). And the new tubes are here for the P.S. as well (has one tube starting to go south). A little off the subject, but a couple weeks ago I bought a Turntable Basics alignment tool ($20), and this has to be the best $20 I've spent in a long time.
gary

DMi

I don't have need of an alignment gauge since the Revox has a linear tracking system but I have heard good things about the one you bought. My ol' table is one of the ones made before Revox got the idea they could save a few bucks on the damping system, sort of a high end version of a close and play circa 1976. The only real issue I have with it is that I need to take it apart some day and replace the shoddy original RCA cables with something much more clean and better shielded. Fortunately as long as I watch the routing of the cables and keep them clear of the back of the Anthem it isn't an issue.

I wish I had 350 hours on a pair of extreme monos here. Gotta make the call to Klaus so I know if this week is good to make a pickup and drop off run to Indy. I hope I need to pick up a pair and drop off the stereo unit for it's upgrade to a three channel. Fingers crossed.  :thumb:

Doug