XLR or/and RCA

newschool

XLR or/and RCA
« on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:17 pm »
I just ordered the Extreme Mono Blocks with  the Candela preamp to use with Eminent Tech speakers.  I've decided to place the Mono Blocks close to the speakers and put the preamp and source components to the rear of the room.  I will need a cable of at least 29 feet from the amp to the preamp.  I understand that XLR cables are better for long runs.  I was just curious if anyone out there is running a similar setup?  If so, are you mixing XLR and RCA together, and with what results.

bunky

Re: XLR or/and RCA
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:42 pm »
I just ordered the Extreme Mono Blocks with  the Candela preamp to use with Eminent Tech speakers.  I've decided to place the Mono Blocks close to the speakers and put the preamp and source components to the rear of the room.  I will need a cable of at least 29 feet from the amp to the preamp.  I understand that XLR cables are better for long runs.  I was just curious if anyone out there is running a similar setup?  If so, are you mixing XLR and RCA together, and with what results.

The Candela has RCA connections only. i run 1 Meter IC's and 10' speaker cables. 29 feet seems very long for IC cables! thanks....WCW III

newschool

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:44 pm »
 DARN!  Well I guess the preamp will go in the front of the room.

pfradale

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2006, 05:15 am »
It is better to have long speaker cable runs instead of long IC runs in terms of interference, noise, hum, whatever you want to call it, anyway.