"Best" actor/actress to never receive an academy award

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
In your own opinion, which actor or actress deserves to have already won an Oscar but hasn't?

If you can, please reference which movie you think they should have won for.

For example...

Harrison Ford - Could have won for a couple of roles

Best Actor - Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981 (Oscar went to Henry Fonda for "On Golden Pond")

Best Actor - Witness in 1985 (Oscar went to William Hurt for "Kiss of the Spider Woman"

George

Tweaker

Re: "Best" actor/actress to never receive an academy award
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:21 pm »
Peter O'Toole. Nominated a bunch of times but never won. Should have won for "Lawrence Of Arabia", one of the greatest performances of all time. (Gregory Peck won for "To Kill A Mockingbird").

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:28 pm »

Richard Burton.

Kirk Douglas.

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:32 pm »
George, I am surprised to learn that Harrison Ford has never won an Oscar!  Wow, he has made some great movies.

Maybe, of the younger actors that have experienced great box office success and have not won I would have to say Toby Maguire.  I think his acting in Sea Biscuit was excellent.

Ken

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:49 pm »
Treat Williams as Daniel Ciello in - Prince of the City     went to Henry Fonda - On Golden Pond

Tom Cruise as Austin Powers in - Goldmember     went to Adrien Brody - The Pianist

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:04 pm »
Bill Murray- Lost In Translation
Johnny Depp- a million different movies, but The Ninth Gate, Sleepy Hollow & Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind.
Christian Bale- lots of films

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:26 pm »
In addition to some of the others (Christian Bale, Peter O'Toole):
Gary Oldman   (Bran Stoker's Dracula, Immortal Beloved)

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:54 pm »
Absolutely Peter O'Toole. Even better than his job in Lawrence of Arabia his portrayal of Henry II in The Lion in Winter was nothing short of phenomenal IMO. In fact everyone in that movie did a tremendous job (Katharine Hepburn won Best Actress). This still remains on my top 10 best list of all time.

...talk about one sick and twisted family....WOW!

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2008, 01:23 am »
George, I am surprised to learn that Harrison Ford has never won an Oscar!  Wow, he has made some great movies.

Although I like his movies a lot, I'm not a big fan of Harrison Ford as an actor...kinda stiff IMHO...

Sean Penn was my leading "I can't believe he hasn't won an Oscar" until he finally got one for Mystic River.  I think Martin Sheen should have gotten one for Apocalypse Now.

Has Spielberg won one yet for Best Director?

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2008, 01:37 am »

Although I like his movies a lot, I'm not a big fan of Harrison Ford as an actor...kinda stiff IMHO...

I think Harrison Ford plays the exact same character every movie. 

Tweaker

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:19 am »
After years of being snubbed they finally gave it to him for Schindler's List.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:20 am »
George, I am surprised to learn that Harrison Ford has never won an Oscar!  Wow, he has made some great movies.

Yes....Two:
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2008, 03:00 am »
Sir Lawrence Olivier is a theatrical legend, but Kenneth Branagh absolutely is the finest Shakespearean actor to EVER be recorded on film.  He isn't too shabby in his other roles. Every time I see "Dead Again", his California accent just blows me away.

If you ever thought Shakespearean comedy was a bit dry and stilted, watch "Much Ado About Nothing".

As to Harrison Ford, he does a great job if everything is blowing up around him and he only has to deliver two lines at a time.  He did a nice job in "Witness", but is certainly no Peter O'Toole.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2008, 03:14 am by S Clark »

acresm22

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2008, 05:16 am »
I remember thinking Robert de Niro should have gotten one for Awakenings. He was nominated, but didn't take home the Oscar that year, which went (if memory serves) to Daniel Day Lewis for his role in My Left Foot. Similar roles that year. Both deserved the Oscar.

Now DD Lewis' performance was fantastic, but I thought Robert De Niro's was in some ways a bit more challenging. He had to go from being catatonic to fully aware and mobile, and then slowly slide back again while convincingly displaying all those increasingly overpowering twitches and uncontrolled movements as he slipped back into his prior condition. Heart-breaking.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2008, 01:45 pm »
Sir Lawrence Olivier is a theatrical legend, but Kenneth Branagh absolutely is the finest Shakespearean actor to EVER be recorded on film.  He isn't too shabby in his other roles. Every time I see "Dead Again", his California accent just blows me away.

If you ever thought Shakespearean comedy was a bit dry and stilted, watch "Much Ado About Nothing".

As to Harrison Ford, he does a great job if everything is blowing up around him and he only has to deliver two lines at a time.  He did a nice job in "Witness", but is certainly no Peter O'Toole.

I don't think anybody ever said Harrison Ford was the equal of Peter O'Toole.  To be fair, each is excellent in their own areas and I can't see how they can be directly compared.

While I think Harrison was better than "nice" in "Witness", he simply needed to be better than his competition that year, not every actor who ever acted.

George

Tweaker

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:14 pm »
I remember there being a lot of concern when it was decided to pair Harrison Ford and Sean Connery up for "The Last Crusade" thinking that Connery was too strong an actor, too commanding a screen presence, and would make Ford look bad. Ford certainly put that concern to rest and more than held his own. Ford is an excellent actor, very charismatic and a strong screen presence, himself.

Tweaker

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:44 pm »
I think another actor who perhaps should have received an Academy Award was Henry Thomas for E.T. Speilberg, when asked if he was disappointed for not winning Best Picture or Director, said yes but only because Thomas wasn't even given an nomination for best actor.

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2008, 05:13 am »

I don't think anybody ever said Harrison Ford was the equal of Peter O'Toole.  To be fair, each is excellent in their own areas and I can't see how they can be directly compared.

While I think Harrison was better than "nice" in "Witness", he simply needed to be better than his competition that year, not every actor who ever acted.

George

Wow, I must have been off my meds that day :oops:.... as I did come across a bit more strident than I had intended.  However, since the thread is about comparing actors (hence, "best"), I still maintain that Ford is a too one dimensional to be considered a "great actor".  Perhaps we interpret the question differently.  I am thinking in terms of a great actor that never received an academy award for acting, regardless of the competition in a given year.  So, Robert Mitchum (Cape Fear, Ryan's Daughter), Willem Dafoe ( Platoon, Shadow of a Vampire) , Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List, Quiz Show, The English Patient), Alan Richman, but the top of the list to never win as an actor... is Orson Welles(Citizen Kane). 

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #18 on: 29 Feb 2008, 05:44 am »
I like what I've read so far but has anyone noticed that Malcolm McDowell never even got nominated
for 'A Clockwork Orange'?
Do you think it was to much for the time?

nonoise