advice for empty Force

Woodsea

advice for empty Force
« on: 28 Jan 2010, 03:41 am »
I bought a pair of these beauties off of Mike.  They are doing a stellar job of holding up my main speakers, they seem just a tad too passive.  I cannot find any 'available' SV10 subs, nor a decent amp that will fit in the back.
Has anyone done the homework that I am clearly failing, and would care to share the wealth of your study?

Joe_K

Re: advice for empty Force
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm »
I seriously looked into doing this too. There are some hi-quality 10 inch drivers made for the enclosure volume, including the SDX10, but they're slightly larger diameter. The Force opening can be enlarged to accommodate them, I wasn't sure if the feet would interfere with a router? Dremel has a router attachment that’s smaller than a standard router.
A blank metal panel cut to size with a RCA conn., volume control and grommet or Heyco clamp for the power cord. Something like a class d amplifier bolted to the inside of the panel would have lots of power.
I figured EQ could be done various ways, from an op amp type tone control internally, to any of the outboard devices. Graphic EQ, BFD, Velodyne, SVS, the box Mike used to sell and there’s others.
I thought it would be cool to have a pair of Force type subs, I really didn’t need another sub, or pair though.  Christmas, the economy, etc. etc.  I didn’t follow through.
You have an excellent enclosure, a little DIY and you’ll have a great pair of subs!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm »
Make a nice plate with binding posts to cover the amp opening and use a rack mount amp or a plate amp built into its own separate box.

Lin

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2010, 01:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.  I really appreciate it.  When I decide and DO!, I will post pics and findings.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
Going with a separate amp and making a plate to fill in the rear of the enclosure gives you a great deal more flexibility. I saved a couple cabinets myself, and that is what I will likely do in the future.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm »
That sounds like the best route, Mike.  Did you also save a pair of your special subwoofer's or are you going for the sdx10?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:37 pm »
That sounds like the best route, Mike.  Did you also save a pair of your special subwoofer's or are you going for the sdx10?

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of sample 10s that were pretty close in spec to our SV10s. One of these days I need to go through and organize what is left . . .