Tyson's NX-Studio Monitor Review

maty

Re: Tyson's Studio Monitor Review
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2020, 01:59 pm »
The problem is the recording quality != live music, usually modern commercial recordings. You know, Loudness War.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

* http://dr.loudness-war.info/

A concert hall is much larger than the house rooms. Much more power is required to achieve the same sound level because of the close reflections that the vast majority suffer. And usually we listen to about 2.5 - 3.5 m away to each speaker and... in phase (+3 dB). Calcs with random phase -> we overestimate the power again.

Peak of 15 dB is realistic to make calcs. If you want, 18 dB.

With the link each one can make their own estimates.

https://www.doctorproaudio.com/content.php?2273-calculators-proaudio-sound-dmx&langid=1#calc_spl

BRN

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:38 pm »
Tyson,

Did you use your First Watt BA-3 with the Studio Monitors?

Brad

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2020, 05:57 pm »
Tyson,

Did you use your First Watt BA-3 with the Studio Monitors?

Brad

Both.  It was one of the few speakers that sounded equally good with either amp. 

maty

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2020, 09:24 am »
To finish the off topic about SPLmax, watts, loudness war...

Part II: How To Make Better Recordings in the 21st Century – An Integrated Approach to Metering, Monitoring, and Leveling Practices by Bob Katz

https://www.digido.com/portfolio-item/level-practices-part-2/

Search with Ctrl+F: 83 dB SPL

Well, I think that everyone should read the OLD article!

- End off topic -
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm by maty »

BRN

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jan 2020, 01:42 pm »
Both.  It was one of the few speakers that sounded equally good with either amp.

Thanks. I’m running a FW M2 clone. Was not sure it would have enough power to drive them.

maty

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2020, 07:33 am »
Better idea a new thread.

Amplification ideas to GR Research Studio Monitor

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167210.0
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2020, 09:25 am by maty »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #26 on: 5 Jan 2020, 08:06 am »
Dont mean to be a problem but why ruin this nice design with a class D amp?  Many other cheap options that would sound a TON better.  Maybe not as much power but MUCH smoother and realistic.

maty

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jan 2020, 09:55 am »
Discussion about amplification better here: Amplification ideas to GR Research Studio Monitor

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jan 2020, 02:59 pm »
Dont mean to be a problem but why ruin this nice design with a class D amp?

Because here in the 21st century there are Class D amps that sound a whole lot better than many tube and traditional SS amps!  :banana piano: :dance: :rock:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #29 on: 5 Jan 2020, 03:54 pm »

Because here in the 21st century there are Class D amps that sound a whole lot better than many tube and traditional SS amps!  :banana piano: :dance: :rock:

+1.

Let’s try not to be myopic. It’s all about EXECUTION of design. Don’t judge based on class or topology. It’s a buffet line.

Here is a review and in it I also review a very well constructed DIY VFET Class A amplifier by Nelson Pass for comparison’s sake:

https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7264.msg91698#msg91698

And yes, I still build and enjoy Class A amps, with the goals of advancing my builds and improving my understanding of them.

Best,
Anand.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 5 Jan 2020, 04:15 pm »

I'm   in  agreement  as well.   Most  negativity towards clas d  is from  early class d  and from  folks  who have not experienced  what  they can   do  these days.  The old cliches of class d are simply  no longer  valid

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2020, 04:40 pm »
I’ve heard some class D amps at Axpona last year that sounded fantastic.  It has definitely come a long way. 

Now if only someone can manufacture high end quality but reasonably priced plate amps for speaker kits.

Spschmitt53

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2020, 10:08 pm »
I am new to audio circle. I have built a pair of XCX Classics from Danny and they are super nice! I am very interested in the new studio monitor and have a few questions. 1. has anyone else listened to the speakers? 2. I have a very small room that they will be in ( 10' x 12" ), will these be too big for this size room? 3. if i can put them in this room can i put them fairly close to the wall? Any suggestions are helpful and welcome. I have been looking at the Triangle Borea 3 and the Buchardt 400 S. These a bit smaller but i have not auditioned them yet, thanks again

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2020, 11:41 pm »
I am new to audio circle. I have built a pair of XCX Classics from Danny and they are super nice! I am very interested in the new studio monitor and have a few questions. 1. has anyone else listened to the speakers? 2. I have a very small room that they will be in ( 10' x 12" ), will these be too big for this size room? 3. if i can put them in this room can i put them fairly close to the wall? Any suggestions are helpful and welcome. I have been looking at the Triangle Borea 3 and the Buchardt 400 S. These a bit smaller but i have not auditioned them yet, thanks again

You small room is not an issue. The Studio Monitors were designed for that application.

Those other speakers that you mentioned are still a step below our A/V-1 or X-LS Encore with no upgrades. The Studio Monitor is in a different class.

maty

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2020, 07:48 am »
I have been looking at the Triangle Borea 3 and the Buchardt 400 S. These a bit smaller but i have not auditioned them yet, thanks again

Forgive the Buchardt 400 S (about the Triangle I know nothing just know). Cheap tweeter. And cheap crossover too like many others. Although the rear passive woofer it needs distance from the wall like others with rear bass-reflex. There are other better choices I think.

But even the most expensive commercials have a crossover with cheap components.

Update

Triangle Borea 3 is new. Without graphs, measurements... a risk. You need to listen to in your room with your electronics.

Oscillate

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2020, 07:07 pm »
@Spschmitt53

"1. has anyone else listened to the speakers?"

Yes, I auditioned the traveling pair for approx. a month. I found them to
be open sounding, and neutral to 'ever so slightly' warm ...no listener
fatigue at all during extended listening sessions (ie I spent several
weekends rediscovering my music collection). The Neo - 3 tweeter has
a lot of  'air'. It does have some of the 'immediacy' that open-baffle
speakers are known for. They have an involving sound that'll have you
forgeting about the audio equipment and just listening to the music.

"...they will be in ( 10' x 12" ), will these be too big for this size room?"

No, I believe that might be just about perfect! ...does your room open into
another room? My room is 15'x15'x10' and is completely open to the
connecting kitchen behind it and a foyer on the front left corner. I had
to turn the volume up a few notches to compensate. My GR Research
X-CS Encores (a MTM design) are better suited, output wise, in big space.

"...can i put them fairly close to the wall?"

Yes. My X-CS Encores (sealed box) are spaced 1/3 of the way into the room
from the sides and about 3' from the back wall ...the Studio Monitors sat right
on top of them (on a towel). Sounded right with good imaging.

@bpape

"...but why ruin this nice design with a class D amp?"

I have been using a B&O IceEdge 1200AS2 amplifier for my 2 channel listening
for almost two years now ...resolving, natural sound with a liquidy midrange. It's
thoroughly enjoyable and powered the Studio Monitors during their visit here.

Captainhemo

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2020, 08:30 pm »
I have been using a B&O IceEdge 1200AS2 amplifier for my 2 channel listening
for almost two years now ...resolving, natural sound with a liquidy midrange. It's
thoroughly enjoyable and powered the Studio Monitors during their visit here.

Using the same  amp here, the extra power  brought the NX-Otica's to life especially with regards to percussion .
Now using  it to drive the Super 7's and  again,,   extremely happy  :thumb:

The old  class D stereotype of being  bright and harsh  is long gone
jay

Spschmitt53

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jan 2020, 12:31 am »
Thank you all for your responses, It is so great to see there are people that care about what your concerns are when purchasing audio equipment. Thanks again!

Jon L

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jan 2020, 01:16 am »
Using the same  amp here, the extra power  brought the NX-Otica's to life especially with regards to percussion .
Now using  it to drive the Super 7's and  again,,   extremely happy  :thumb:

The old  class D stereotype of being  bright and harsh  is long gone
jay

I bought one IceEdge 1200AS2 amplifier, then later bought another exact same one.  I have NEVER done such a thing before, and I suspect some of you know why... :wink:

Max7

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jan 2020, 09:12 pm »
Can I assume that a super transparent/clean amplifier like the Benchmark AHB2 (100 watts) would be a good match for these speakers if I plan to use them for both music listening and mixing?