Tyson's NX-Studio Monitor Review

Danny Richie

Re: Tyson's NX-Studio Monitor Review
« Reply #80 on: 24 Jun 2020, 10:27 pm »
The 8s can comfortably run to 250hz.  This makes stereo implementation easier and can work with many more (smaller) speakers.

The double 8s also mimic Danny's earlier suggestion of a powered 2 x M165 bass module used below the Studio Monitor.

That's a really good option. And those 8's won't have to play up near that high.

WarmColors

« Reply #81 on: 7 Jul 2020, 06:06 am »
If you have to chose between the studios or NX Oticas MTM which one would you chose?

Im debating the studios or NX Oticas MTM. Either speaker would live in a barely medium size room I can either place the studios or NX Oticas MTM.

Which speaker has more detail?

I understand that OB need to be 3ft or more away from the front wall. I don't want sub recommendations. Just your personal opinion on which speaker you would chose and why?  Which speaker has more detail (are the crossovers very similar)?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 7 Jul 2020, 06:52 am »
If you have to chose between the studios or NX Oticas MTM which one would you chose?

Im debating the studios or NX Oticas MTM. Either speaker would live in a barely medium size room I can either place the studios or NX Oticas MTM.

Which speaker has more detail?

I understand that OB need to be 3ft or more away from the front wall. I don't want sub recommendations. Just your personal opinion on which speaker you would chose and why?  Which speaker has more detail (are the crossovers very similar)?

Both speakers use the same drivers. The difference being two midrange drivers in the ‘Otica MTM vs one inthe Studio Monitor. This means things like speed, detail, and clarity are going to be similar. The second midrange driver in the ‘Otica MTM will give it more body, weight, and effortlessness. The biggest difference is going to be in soundstage and openness. Being full open baffle, the ‘Otica MTM is going to have the advantage in this.

In my opinion, the choice between the NX-Otica MTM and the studio monitor comes down to space. If you have the room for open baffle, go with the MTMs. If you don’t have the room to get the speakers at least 3ft off the front wall, go with the Studio Monitors. They were designed to be able to be placed close to the front wall.

WarmColors

« Reply #83 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:19 pm »
Both speakers use the same drivers. The difference being two midrange drivers in the ‘Otica MTM vs one inthe Studio Monitor. This means things like speed, detail, and clarity are going to be similar. The second midrange driver in the ‘Otica MTM will give it more body, weight, and effortlessness. The biggest difference is going to be in soundstage and openness. Being full open baffle, the ‘Otica MTM is going to have the advantage in this.

In my opinion, the choice between the NX-Otica MTM and the studio monitor comes down to space. If you have the room for open baffle, go with the MTMs. If you don’t have the room to get the speakers at least 3ft off the front wall, go with the Studio Monitors. They were designed to be able to be placed close to the front wall.

Thank you for your comment!!! I really do appreciate the detail.

diyman

« Reply #84 on: 9 Jul 2020, 07:15 am »

I'm interested in possibly ordering this speaker and am trying to understand how it is able to be closer to the front wall than other OB speakers.  The rule of thumb is 3’ minimum in order to make sure the reflection from the front wall back to the listener is delayed by at least 6ms.  Some people believe that 6ms isn’t even enough and 10ms is the required minimum. 

Can’t see how the sound from the back of this speaker towards the front wall is significantly different from other OB designs.  I assume that the sloped open compartment is involved in some way, but still can’t see how it would have a major impact on the reflected sound delay.  Would be very interested in hearing the explanation.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 9 Jul 2020, 01:13 pm »
The main benefit of the NX Studio is the fact the woofer is in a sealed box. The tweeter os OB, but the slope +norez allows the rear wave to be reflected upwards, allowing for similar spacial cues without the need to be further from the wall.

That said, it still greatly benefits from being pulled from the wall, but can easily be moved closer without a loss in quality.

diyman

« Reply #86 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:36 pm »
The main benefit of the NX Studio is the fact the woofer is in a sealed box. The tweeter os OB, but the slope +norez allows the rear wave to be reflected upwards, allowing for similar spacial cues without the need to be further from the wall.

That said, it still greatly benefits from being pulled from the wall, but can easily be moved closer without a loss in quality.

OK.  I can see how that might work.  I believe you're saying that instead of the rear sound being reflected mainly horizontally off the front wall, as it would be in a more conventional OB, it is pushed up and reflected mostly from the corner and ceiling.  And that extra distance is more or less equivalent in terms of delay to having it 3' from the front wall.  Is that the theory behind it?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #87 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:40 pm »
OK.  I can see how that might work.  I believe you're saying that instead of the rear sound being reflected mainly horizontally off the front wall, as it would be in a more conventional OB, it is pushed up and reflected mostly from the corner and ceiling.  And that extra distance is more or less equivalent in terms of delay to having it 3' from the front wall.  Is that the theory behind it?

Tweeter's wavelengths are much shorter than the midrange wavelengths.  Thus the tweeter is much less sensitive to being placed closer to the front wall.

diyman

« Reply #88 on: 9 Jul 2020, 06:21 pm »
Tweeter's wavelengths are much shorter than the midrange wavelengths.  Thus the tweeter is much less sensitive to being placed closer to the front wall.

I'm still trying to understand how that relates to spatial queues.

Tyson

« Reply #89 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:46 pm »
I'm still trying to understand how that relates to spatial queues.

It has more to do with cancellation of sound waves.  With tweeters you can get them close to walls and you don't end up with big holes in the frequency response.  The same is not true for the midrange.

diyman

« Reply #90 on: 10 Jul 2020, 06:53 pm »
It has more to do with cancellation of sound waves.  With tweeters you can get them close to walls and you don't end up with big holes in the frequency response.  The same is not true for the midrange.

Not sure how this answers my question from above.  So here it is again:

I believe that instead of the rear sound being reflected mainly horizontally off the front wall, as it would be in a more conventional OB, it is pushed up and reflected mostly from the corner and ceiling.  And that extra distance is more or less equivalent in terms of delay to having it 3' from the front wall.  Is that the theory behind it?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 10 Jul 2020, 07:08 pm »
Not sure how this answers my question from above.  So here it is again:

I believe that instead of the rear sound being reflected mainly horizontally off the front wall, as it would be in a more conventional OB, it is pushed up and reflected mostly from the corner and ceiling.  And that extra distance is more or less equivalent in terms of delay to having it 3' from the front wall.  Is that the theory behind it?
That's personally been my best guess/understanding.
I know the Norez will absorb & slow down the rear wave, frequencies, and reflect the sound upwards. Then, since it's sloped, it almost acts as a diffuser, since the lower part of the wave will bounce at a different times/position from the top.

So the sound can act as though its further away than it really is, thanks to diffusion/absorption.

VinceT

« Reply #92 on: 16 Sep 2020, 12:23 am »
I wanted to ask you all a question with experience with these. I have a real basket case of a room and considering the Studio Monitors along with the Oticas.  None of my box speakers sound good in this room. It is essentially a 20x20x20 sunken mid century modern living room. I think the OB speaker offerings will really help, but wanted to know how the sealed box of the studio monitors load the room compared to other boxed speakers.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #93 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:04 am »
I'm still in the process of building my pair, so I'll leave that to those with more experience..

But a nearly cubic room is going to be rough to manage for any sysem, esp in the bass & sub-bass ranges. Your room is going to require a fair bit of treatment likely corner bass traps, diffusion panels, and suspended absorption panels hanging from the ceiling to break up the air space and any standing waves.
But I can imagine that if it is a living room, it's going to require more subtle or artistic tweaks that make aesthetic sense for your living space. (Book shelves, deep-backed paintings filled with fiberglass/rock-wool, Decorative diffusion panels, etc.)

Full open baffle setup will definitely make things easier to deal with since you don't need to worry as much about about the side waves radiating from the cabinets, and just the front/rear walls and early reflection points.

And I don't know your room layout beyond its basic space, but in order to reduce as many resonant peaks/troughs its a good idea to follow the 2/5s & 3/5 rule putting your speakers roughly 7-8' into the room 7' from each side wall. And find a place about 4-5' from the rear wall, or wherever you think sounds best.

Tyson

« Reply #94 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:29 am »
Full OB is the way to go in a problematic room like that.  NX-Ottica all the way, IME.

VinceT

« Reply #95 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:13 am »
I'm still in the process of building my pair, so I'll leave that to those with more experience..

But a nearly cubic room is going to be rough to manage for any sysem, esp in the bass & sub-bass ranges. Your room is going to require a fair bit of treatment likely corner bass traps, diffusion panels, and suspended absorption panels hanging from the ceiling to break up the air space and any standing waves.
But I can imagine that if it is a living room, it's going to require more subtle or artistic tweaks that make aesthetic sense for your living space. (Book shelves, deep-backed paintings filled with fiberglass/rock-wool, Decorative diffusion panels, etc.)

Full open baffle setup will definitely make things easier to deal with since you don't need to worry as much about about the side waves radiating from the cabinets, and just the front/rear walls and early reflection points.

And I don't know your room layout beyond its basic space, but in order to reduce as many resonant peaks/troughs its a good idea to follow the 2/5s & 3/5 rule putting your speakers roughly 7-8' into the room 7' from each side wall. And find a place about 4-5' from the rear wall, or wherever you think sounds best.

Thanks Hobbs, that's a whole subject in itself I have yet to really dig into. Biggest issue is going to be WAF factor for sure affecting her beautiful living room with room treatments. I hope to maybe cut the room down by 75% to get rid of the cube shape but I still have the ceiling height to contend with. To make matters worse there is a foot tall ledge with recessed lighting up in the ceiling that circumvents the whole room. Those hanging panels are going to be a tough sell. My hope is to get the NX-Otticas and Servo subs up and running so when she hears it, she lets me do what I need to with the room because it sounds so darn good!  :lol:

VinceT

« Reply #96 on: 16 Sep 2020, 03:20 am »
Full OB is the way to go in a problematic room like that.  NX-Ottica all the way, IME.

Yes that's what I was thinking. I wanted to go with the NX-Tremes but very concerned about vertical modes in this room so the Otticas it is. I plan on building a system that can also accommodate HT also OB 2 channel. I want to use 4 of the AV/1RS for the height speakers, what would you guys go with for the side surrounds? (really was hoping the studios would work in my system)

BTW Tyson, been coming across a lot of your posts lately when searching AC....man you have me thinking about a 300B now...lol

Tyson

« Reply #97 on: 16 Sep 2020, 04:31 am »
The beauty of the NX-Ottica, NX-Treme as well as the Super 7 (which is what I own) is that the bass is offloaded to the subs so your main amp only has to drive the mids and highs.  Couple that with 95 to 97 db efficiency and fairly flat impedance curves and you now have the ability to run some VERY interesting amps with these babies.  Personally I rotate between a Type 45 amp, an EL84 amp, some Single Ended Pentode Monoblocks, my 2a3/300b amp and a 6C33 amp, all of them are under 20 watts and each of them is hella fun to listen to. 

Re: HT and 2 channel, I'd recommend optimizing 2 channel first.  Mainly because it's really hard to optimize for both, and usually 2 channel is what suffers if you try.  Also, when you hear how big/spacious really good OB speakers sound, you may not miss the surround stuff all that much.

VinceT

« Reply #98 on: 4 Oct 2020, 03:09 pm »

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jan 2023, 02:36 pm »
Wondering if anyone has compared the NX-Studio and the Philharmonic BMR Monitor.