Anyone have Spatial speakers in their HT?

Chris_B

Anyone have Spatial speakers in their HT?
« on: 2 Jan 2018, 06:48 pm »
Given that some of us have combined 2-channel / HT systems, does anyone use a pair of M3,s (or X2,s) as their main left/right in their system?  I had the chance to hear a pair of M4's at Linear Tube Audio's shop the other day and liked how they sounded.  With the M3s and especially the X2s going much lower, I'm intrigued. 

Any feedback on how well they perform would be helpful.  I will soon be in the market to buy a pair for my system and am currently looking at Dynaudio and Focal.  The brief time with the M4's has me looking at other options.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris_B

Re: Anyone have Spatial speakers in their HT?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2018, 08:56 pm »
100 views  :D

No responses   :(

:lol:

shadowlight

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2018, 05:18 am »
Chris,

I use Turbo 3s in HT/2-Channel setup and they perform great for both usage.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2018, 07:07 pm »
Spatial M2 Turbo's in a combination HT/casual listening set-up. These are supplemented by a pair of HSU subs. For an M1 or M3, a sub (or subs) may or may not be needed depending on your room and set-up. In my case with 12" driver M2's, I consider subs essential to achieve the whole enchilada.

Chris_B

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2018, 08:05 pm »
Thanks guys.  Was there a significant change for HT when adding the Spatials?  If you could post pictures, we'd love to admire your setups.  I'm changing out my main L/R this spring and seriously looking at the X2s. If not them, the M3TM.

Chris

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2018, 05:24 pm »
I wonder if the need for speakers of that design to be off the wall for a significant distance interferes with optimal seating to appreciate HD?

For a 55" screen, for example, to achieve and appreciate HD viewing one should be seated 7-8 feet from the screen. That puts the Spatials pretty much in your face. When I finally changed my setup and moved in to the proper distance, I really appreciated what I had been missing. To achieve that I had to use mains that could be close to the wall.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2018, 07:14 pm »
I wonder if the need for speakers of that design to be off the wall for a significant distance interferes with optimal seating to appreciate HD?

For a 55" screen, for example, to achieve and appreciate HD viewing one should be seated 7-8 feet from the screen. That puts the Spatials pretty much in your face. When I finally changed my setup and moved in to the proper distance, I really appreciated what I had been missing. To achieve that I had to use mains that could be close to the wall.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html#anchor_13194

Depends on the size of your room and screen plus the resolution.

If you are using a 120" or 130" screen as many of us in HT setup do, I don't think it will be an issue.

My bigger question on using Spatial speakers in a HT setup is what are you doing for a center channel?

In my old setup where my room was 35' in length and I had loads of space behind an acoustically transparent screen, I would just purchase a third speaker for L/C/R.

In my current setup, I am no longer using an AT screen and would need a center channel that can be used in front of the screen.

George

sealkojac

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:05 pm »
I attempted to run M4 Turbo S's in a theater skipping the center channel but really didn't like the result. The Klipsch setup I was running prior was much better for movie watching. Unless your always sitting in the sweet spot watching movies by yourself I wouldn't recommend them unless you can find a way to fit a third one in the center.

Steven Stone

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2018, 06:07 pm »
I've used the M4 as a center channel with M3 and X-2 with good results.

1janos

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm »
I am using M4 TurboS for L, R and Centre channel duties with wonderful results. They are driven by a Halcro MC50. It is a projector based system, with a 140" screen. With all due respect to Clayton, who doesn't recommend using a Centre channel speaker, in this system the M4 TurboS works perfectly. Using Duelund dca16ga as speaker wire - without termination on either end - results in all the fine qualities of this speaker being realised. I chose 60Hz as crossover point where a JL Audio Fathom F313 takes over.

1janos

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2018, 11:40 am »
I decided to run the M4 TurboS's as large speakers, without any filtering with great results.

seasky78

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2018, 01:15 am »

I use M3TM for both HT and Stereo. After upgraded to M3TM from XTZ 99.36 Floorstand speaker, the HT experience is more lively now. M3TM is superior for both movie and music experience.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:40 pm »

I use M3TM for both HT and Stereo. After upgraded to M3TM from XTZ 99.36 Floorstand speaker, the HT experience is more lively now. M3TM is superior for both movie and music experience.

The M3's high sensitivity really helps to create a more dynamic presentation on movies compared to conventional speakers.

Clayton Shaw
www.spatialaudio.us

Chris_B

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2018, 11:09 am »

Nice setup.  What is your center channel?

seasky78

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2018, 01:49 am »
The center is a Usher Audio BE-616 DMD. I have previously tested a few center speakers and finally settled down with this very good Usher Audio center.

Previously tested: XTZ 95, XTZ 99, XTZ 100.33, Dali Opticon, Focal CC700 and SVS Ultra Center

abhijitnath

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2018, 02:12 pm »
The M3's high sensitivity really helps to create a more dynamic presentation on movies compared to conventional speakers.

Clayton Shaw
www.spatialaudio.us

Clayton, do you have centre channel recommendations for M3T fronts/M1 rears, or do you recommend a phantom centre?

ric

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2018, 02:46 pm »
I don't know if I can add much, but I'll try. I don't have a more modern setup with HT, and I find movie sound to be compressed and many times I have to turn down the sound during the "exciting" parts :o. It may be that the Spatial's "controlled directivity" may lend itself better for having bass slam, that is not too boomy, but for home stereo without the theater I still love the M3's!

Spatial Audio

« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2018, 07:27 pm »
Clayton, do you have centre channel recommendations for M3T fronts/M1 rears, or do you recommend a phantom centre?

I usually recommend using M3s or M4s wherever possible in a HT system just so things sound as consistent as possible. Some of our customers use M3 or M4 as a center speaker also, but they are too tall in many instances. Most traditional speakers sound so different that I don't really like the idea of using a regular speaker as a center speaker, but we have not offered a small M series speaker to address the issue. Therefore, I do plan to release an M3 Center speaker later this year, which will be around 27 inches tall and sell for around $1500 in the Triode Master premium version. That would be the idea setup as far as sound quality.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio
www.spatialaudio.us

vondy

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2018, 10:41 pm »
I usually recommend using M3s or M4s wherever possible in a HT system just so things sound as consistent as possible. Some of our customers use M3 or M4 as a center speaker also, but they are too tall in many instances. Most traditional speakers sound so different that I don't really like the idea of using a regular speaker as a center speaker, but we have not offered a small M series speaker to address the issue. Therefore, I do plan to release an M3 Center speaker later this year, which will be around 27 inches tall and sell for around $1500 in the Triode Master premium version. That would be the idea setup as far as sound quality.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio
www.spatialaudio.us

This topic is a few months old but I just acquired a pair of M3 Turbo S and was looking for a center to blend well with them. Will this new center you are working on be available in a less expensive Turbo S version?

Also how would a single M4 Turbo S do between the M3s?

Thanks!