The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

newzooreview

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #260 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:40 pm »
@borism

I was using the Virtue USB cable when I first got the Tranquility DAC. It's good, but I did notice a worthwhile improvement when I upgraded. You've probably already gotten an e-mail from Eric about their new "Essential" USB cable. It sounds like they are sending them out to Tranquility owners for evaluation. It will be interesting to hear your impressions. I'll post mine as well.

borism

« Reply #261 on: 25 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm »
Yes I received Eric's email and have responded that I am interested in a trial of the new USB cable. I am not sure if I will be able to hear any difference so a free trial seems great.

newzooreview

« Reply #262 on: 26 Feb 2010, 04:01 pm »
@borism

I agree with your skepticism on the differences between USB cables.
I did hear a difference in my system between the Alethias and the Virtue cable. But on the other hand I've tried more expensive power cables in my system that didn't make a difference. Eric's try-it-for-free offer is certainly reasonable. I'm hoping it comes next week sometime.

truant

« Reply #263 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:05 am »
I think it's extraordinary that dB Audio has developed it's own usb cable and is shipping it, no strings attached, to current Tranquility owners.  As I mentioned to Eric I've dealt with many audio companies with great customer service but in my opinion this puts dB Audio near or at the top.  That a company, unsolicited, would send me one of their products with no strings attached because they believe it will enhance my enjoyment of a product I already own (and have purchase from them) blows me away. Not to mention the price...I own two well reviewed usb cables and both cost more than the dB Audio cable at it's nondiscounted price. Based on my experience with the Tranquility I expect this cable to live up to my expectations.

pardales

« Reply #264 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:45 am »
I too think it a great way to do business: sending existing customers a new product to try out for free. I am still REALLY enjoying my Tranquility DAC and look forward to auditioning their new USB cable.

I had been using the Virtue cable quite happily for some time. I've had the new Cardas ($134) cable in my sytem for about one month now and it really brought the overall SQ of my system up a significant level. Really nice bass performance, high end shimmer and sparkle.

Will report after my week with the new dB cable.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #265 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:55 am »
@borism

I agree with your skepticism on the differences between USB cables.
I did hear a difference in my system between the Alethias and the Virtue cable. But on the other hand I've tried more expensive power cables in my system that didn't make a difference. Eric's try-it-for-free offer is certainly reasonable. I'm hoping it comes next week sometime.

For those who don't think USB cables can make a drastic improvement, I would highly recommend that you try out and compare yours with a Locus Design Axis or the even higher priced Nucleus USB cables. You just might be pleasently surprised with what can be achieved with the right USB cable.  :thumb:

I hope to try the Tranquility with my Nucleus cable one of these days myself.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

newzooreview

« Reply #266 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:25 am »

I hope to try the Tranquility with my Nucleus cable one of these days myself.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

>$230 simply to try out the Nucleus cable? No thanks. That's more than the new dB Audio cable costs to purchase, and Eric says their new cable betters the other audiophile USB cables out there. Obviously that claim may not include the Nucleus, but until Locus Design adopts a less condescending attitude towards its potential customers I won't be finding out first hand. Kudos to dB Audio and Danny and Dave at PI Audio for their excellent customer service and realistic product try-out policies.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #267 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:33 am »
>$230 simply to try out the Nucleus cable? No thanks. That's more than the new dB Audio cable costs to purchase, and Eric says their new cable betters the other audiophile USB cables out there. Obviously that claim may not include the Nucleus, but until Locus Design adopts a less condescending attitude towards its potential customers I won't be finding out first hand. Kudos to dB Audio and Danny and Dave at PI Audio for their excellent customer service and realistic product try-out policies.

Sorry to hear that as it goes against everything I've ever experienced from Lee personally. Best of luck with your new DAC.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

gregeas

« Reply #268 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:02 pm »
Anyone have ideas for power cables in the reasonable (~$200) range? Right now I'm using a Cardas Quadlink... Seems decent, but I haven't tried anything else in comparison. I have other cables but the Cardas is the only one long enough to reach the DAC in my current setup.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #269 on: 1 Mar 2010, 02:19 pm »
Sorry to hear that as it goes against everything I've ever experienced from Lee personally.

I know Lee as well and have never seen any condescending attitude from him at all. He is definitely one of the good guys out there.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #270 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:46 pm »
Charlie, thanks for your accolade.  When a business like mine is brought online without deep pockets to do the big advertising splash to get it going, the only way to really succeed is to offer THE BEST product that I can for the money and to provide THE BEST customer service possible.  A small business like mine exists and prospers on the strength of word of mouth.  My Dad (I really miss the Old Man) had a saying: "One, aw s**t is worth a hundred 'ata-boys'".  He was right about many things.

Thanks again to everyone that has supported me.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #271 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:52 pm »
to really succeed is to offer THE BEST product that I can for the money and to provide THE BEST customer service possible. 
Dave

You have succeeded at that IMO.   :D

Dad would be proud!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #272 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:30 pm »
You have succeeded at that IMO.   :D

Dad would be proud!
I hope so.  I'll ask him when I see him.   :D

<><

Dave

pardales

« Reply #273 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:03 pm »

For those who don't think USB cables can make a drastic improvement, I would highly recommend that you try out and compare yours with a Locus Design Axis or the even higher priced Nucleus USB cables. You just might be pleasently surprised with what can be achieved with the right USB cable.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Have to agree. I wish the USB cable did not matter because personally, I hate spending money on cables. FWIW, I have found the difference in USB cables to be more significant than with other IC's (but that may just be me).

cryoparts

« Reply #274 on: 1 Mar 2010, 07:20 pm »
I know Lee as well and have never seen any condescending attitude from him at all. He is definitely one of the good guys out there.

Thanks Danny, Robin, et al.

Newzooreview, sorry if offended you somehow.  I don't remember having any contact with you, but if I inadvertently did something to offend you, I apologize.

Good discussion guys, looks like Eric has a winner of a product on his hands here.

Peace,

Lee

Cycles2

« Reply #275 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:52 am »
I've been burning in the new DB Labs USB cable for about 4 days and even after 24 hours it was obvious that it's a keeper.  In my system, the soundstage depth expanded and the air around the instruments improved.  I was already using a very good USB cable so the improvements were subtle.  For those considering a USB cable upgrade the sound quality and price of this cable makes this a no-brainer.  Definitley musical which is what DB Labs strives to acheive.  Don't be surprised if you hear songs a bit differently as a result of this cable as it allowed me to distinguish some instruments more clearly in songs.

newzooreview

« Reply #276 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:04 pm »
@Cycles2

Any differences other than sound stage and air around the instruments? I'm still waiting for my audition cable to show up--do you notice the fluidity mentioned on the dB Audio site or other improvement in the high end (maybe this translates to the sense of air you note?). Looking forward to mine coming in the mail.

@Lee

My comments concern the tone and substance of the written policies posted on the Locus Design Group website. I don't know you and certainly don't have any personal animosity.

Cycles2

« Reply #277 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:21 pm »
newzooreview,

The DB Labs USB cable of course handles all frquencies as you'd expect from a high-grade cable.  Slam improved a bit and the bass tightened up.  Mids and highs are also excellent.  Like I mentioned before it's a more musical experience as the instruments are distinctly coming from different locations on the stage.  I was listenig to a song last night and the snare drum is clearly located near the back of the stage.  I've listened to this song hundred of times and was never able to identify where the snare drum was located on stage until using this cable.

Hope this helps.

cryoparts

« Reply #278 on: 2 Mar 2010, 05:46 pm »
@newzoo

OK, I certainly didn't remember having any dealings with you via phone or e-mail.  I generally try to be pretty easy to get along with.   :thumb:

As far as the return policy, I wanted to make sure there was no room for misunderstanding, so I was very clear in the terms.  I believe in being up front and making sure a customer knows what the policy is, and then they can make an informed decision from there.

Peace,

Lee

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #279 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:03 pm »
For what it's worth:

I demo'ed a Locus Axis USB cable that belonged to one of my customers, and compared it to the Ridge Street Alethias. It was actually pretty close and very give and take. It could go either way depending on the system.

I guess in short, that cable was very good. Even if I thought the Ridge Street edged it slightly, it was only slightly.

The Axis cable was a lot less expensive than the Alethias and worth considerations or auditions.