The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jan 2010, 10:48 pm »
Looking at the current issue of the Absolute Sound on page 74 it appears that Steven Stone put the Tranquility DAC on his short list of "must-audition" components.

It was part of the RMAF show coverage report.

Oddly, the room was called the GR Acoustics room.  :(

That's okay though. They got it right three other times in other places in the magazine where the system in the GR Research room was mentioned, including one calling it the "Greatest Bargain" at the show.  :th
Maybe he got that from the treatment that I did in the room... who knows?  It did sound really good.  Great to be in there with the fun bunch.  The dB Audio DAC was a big part of the sound.  System synergy is what makes things work and we did hit that combination in our room.

Dave

srb

« Reply #101 on: 5 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm »
The dB Audio DAC was a big part of the sound.

We've got to cut Steven Stone some slack, Dave.  Anyone can misquote the name.  It's dB Labs.   ;)

Steve

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #102 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:09 am »

We've got to cut Steven Stone some slack, Dave.  Anyone can misquote the name.  It's dB Labs.   ;)

Steve
I am so bad!  I knew that... I think...  :oops:   Duh on me.

Dave

K Shep

« Reply #103 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:22 am »
I've been a bit amused with some here questioning what I actually heard...The skeptics had their say.

And that is what an open forum is...the exchange of ideas and information.  I appreciate your enthusiasm, its your approach that I question.  Please don't tell me that your new DAC trounces other DACs that you have not DBT.  I am happy that you found a component at a competitive price point that has you excited about audio. 

bmckenney

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jan 2010, 04:23 pm »
Over the last few weeks I've been a bit amused with some here questioning what I actually heard from the Tranquility. I no longer feel nearly as alone as I did in the beginning. The skeptics had their say and now other people are reporting in with results that absolutely support my conclusions. I hope the others here will start finding out for themselves and be on board so they can enjoy it as much as I did.

Tom

The initial problem was your original review didn't say much at all.  I have read this complete thread but did read the first page of posts that started it all.  Sure, you're not a professional reviewer, not that they do much better to be honest.  People we're not being skeptics as you put it.  They were not at all skeptical of how good the DAC is.  They were being critical of your review and were a bit sarcastic about it IMO.  And they called out the fact that the website had zero information about the product.  And still doesn't near as I can tell.  For that reason alone, I would never buy a product like this from someone who's business model can't even support publishing even basic information on a website.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #105 on: 7 Jan 2010, 04:45 pm »
For that reason alone, I would never buy a product like this from someone who's business model can't even support publishing even basic information on a website.
Just an observation from an industry professional whose website also doesn't have much info, if I may.

I have, over the period of many years, developed products that do not, to my knowledge, use technology like ANYONE else's in the industry.  My products perform as well as or better than anyone elses' products, at any pricepoint.  I go out of my way to protect the technology used in my products while going through the patent process.  My units are sealed and potted to keep people out for a reason:  too many people are willing to rip intellectual property off for their own gain.  Weasels and sleezy people are everywhere, especially in the audio industry.  Like Eric, I am willing to tell people what my product does, but won't tell anyone how it does it.  It is none of their dam*ed business, to be quite blunt about it.  I make a living doing what I do.  I don't need to be anyones' teacher or gravy train.

I don't blame them at all about being vague about their DAC.  I've heard it and it kicks butt.  That is all I need to know.  They have to feed their families, not anyone elses.  No one is "entitled" to know anything about proprietary technology.

YMMV

Dave
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2010, 08:47 pm by dBe »

bunnyma357

« Reply #106 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:05 pm »
Just an observation from an industry professional whose website also doesn't have much info, if I may.

I have, over the period of many years, developed products that do not, to my knowledge, use technology like ANYONE else's in the industry.  My products perform as well as or better than anyone elses' products, at any pricepoint.  I go out of my way to protect the technology used in my products while going through the patent process.  My units are sealed and potted to keep people out for a reason:  too many people are willing to rip intellectual property off for their own gain.  Weasels and sleezy people are everywhere, especially in the audio industry.  Like Eric and Larry, I am willing to tell people what my product does, but won't tell anyone how it does it.  It is none of their dam*ed business, to be quite blunt about it.  I make a living doing what I do.  I don't need to be anyones' teacher or gravy train.

I don't blame them at all about being vague about their DAC.  I've heard it and it kicks butt.  That is all I need to know.  They have to feed their families, not anyone elses.  No one is "entitled" to know anything about proprietary technology.

YMMV

Dave

To me the specifics can be vague, but not giving basic info like native file format support is equivalent to not specifying whether a vehicle runs on gasoline, diesel or natural gas. Not providing information makes the vendor look shady or stupid, which is a disservice to what is obviously a nice DAC and what appears to be an very good company.

I think most of the people pointing out stuff like this aren't trying to disparage dB Audio Labs, but giving them individual input on what type of info needs to be available to appeal to the targeted market. Obviously, dB Audio Labs can decide where the line is on what info is divulged, but they should be aware that it does matter to people and their perceptions of the product.

Jim C

maxwalrath

« Reply #107 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:18 pm »
To summarize 50% of the last 6 pages of posts...

"They don't provide any info, including necessary basic info on their website!"

"They will tell you over the phone, but it's their proprietary info and they don't have to tell you anything!"

"They will tell you over the phone, but it's their proprietary info and they don't have to tell you anything!"

yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn............

I would suggest that the OTHER 50% of posts are slightly interesting, and the posts beating this dead horse can stop.   :deadhorse:

mfsoa

« Reply #108 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:27 pm »
Eric,
Do you have a figure for maximum USB cable length for your DAC?
Is this length any different for your DAC vs. other USB DACs/devices?

Thanks

-Mike

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #109 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:27 pm »
 :idea: Perhaps dB Audio should  offer a 30 day satisfactions guarantee for their DAC? That would satisfy any legitimate complaints. :D

-Roy

mcullinan

« Reply #110 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:31 pm »
This is viral marketing at its best. Keep it up.
Oh they wont tell you anything, but if you call them its proprietary. You must acknowledge their hello with a code which can be found if you Google the secret word. This code enables free flow of proprietary knowledge.
:)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #111 on: 7 Jan 2010, 05:48 pm »
Gents,

This topic is tottering over the edge of the original intent....a review for a new DAC from db Audio Labs.

The manufacturer need not tell anyone anything about it...and no one has to buy it.  All have total freedom of choice in the process. 

So, puh-lease lets focus on the DAC and less on how db Audio Labs markets their wares...it's beginning to sound like a grudge-fest.

Thanks, John / co-Facilitator Critic's Circle 

bmckenney

« Reply #112 on: 7 Jan 2010, 11:17 pm »
Gents,

This topic is tottering over the edge of the original intent....a review for a new DAC from db Audio Labs.

The manufacturer need not tell anyone anything about it...and no one has to buy it.  All have total freedom of choice in the process. 

So, puh-lease lets focus on the DAC and less on how db Audio Labs markets their wares...it's beginning to sound like a grudge-fest.

Thanks, John / co-Facilitator Critic's Circle

What's wrong with discussing the business practices of the manufacturer behind the DAC that was reviewed.  If I was a potential customer, I want to know all I can.  Not just what one or two people thought about its sonic performance.  I want to know more about the people and the company when making a buying decision.  I got what I wanted out of this and made my decision.

gerald porzio

« Reply #113 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:21 am »
What I find truly disengenuous & upsetting w/ many audiophile forums is that bad experiences w/ a mfg. are verboten. This can help spare audiophiles grief in many instances. I have no dog in this fight.

bmckenney

« Reply #114 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:35 am »
What I find truly disengenuous & upsetting w/ many audiophile forums is that bad experiences w/ a mfg. are verboten. This can help spare audiophiles grief in many instances. I have no dog in this fight.

Especially true at Audio Asylum which generates revenue from maufacturer advertising.  Not sure if this happens a lot at AC or not.  I prefer an unmoderated audio board.

JohnR

« Reply #115 on: 8 Jan 2010, 12:59 am »
What's wrong with discussing the business practices of the manufacturer behind the DAC that was reviewed.

That's such a cheap shot.

JohnR

« Reply #116 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:00 am »
I have no dog in this fight.

Why comment then? The Facilitator already asked for the topic to get back on track.

Afterimage

« Reply #117 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:28 am »
I have heard this DAC, and IMO it is a killer product.  I have no idea what is inside and how it does what it does, I don't care.  For me it is about the sound quality and the Tranquility gets it done in spades.   

cujobob

« Reply #118 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:43 am »

I have, over the period of many years, developed products that do not, to my knowledge, use technology like ANYONE else's in the industry.  My products perform as well as or better than anyone elses' products, at any pricepoint.  I go out of my way to protect the technology used in my products while going through the patent process.  My units are sealed and potted to keep people out for a reason:  too many people are willing to rip intellectual property off for their own gain.  Weasels and sleezy people are everywhere, especially in the audio industry.  Like Eric, I am willing to tell people what my product does, but won't tell anyone how it does it.  It is none of their dam*ed business, to be quite blunt about it.  I make a living doing what I do.  I don't need to be anyones' teacher or gravy train.

I don't blame them at all about being vague about their DAC.  I've heard it and it kicks butt.  That is all I need to know.  They have to feed their familieanyone elses.  No one is "entitled" to know anything about proprietary technology.

YMMV

Dave

I totally understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that too many companies are putting out bad products with great marketing hype and poor R&D and offer bad value to customers.  The consumer can't be expected to test out every piece of equipment in their own system and since one's memory of what they hear is so short, it makes doing a decent comparison quite difficult.  Consumers rely on information to avoid buying poor product....because we all know how great most reviews are...everything is tremendous!

I'd love to try this DAC out despite all of that..I had the modified DAC 60 that Danny was familiar with prior to using this DAC and if it bests that...it must be  decent..

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #119 on: 8 Jan 2010, 01:43 am »
Hi guys, 

Well, it looks like I need to address some fundamentals of our company, what we've already talked about many pages ago on this very thread and why we do some of things in our own unique way, that is very different from other audio companies.

#1 - "The dac's native resolution" -  I thought we addressed each and every technical facet on page #3 of this thread about our the native resolution of the DAC, how it works with high rez and the like. Feel free to ask away some more AFTER you've read my response about the rez and specification questions I answered one by one. Perhaps there is something I'm missing with my last response about our dac's handling of files and the rez? Just ask and you shall receive your answers (after you re-read the response on page #3 mind you).

#2 - db Audio Labs website - Our website is geared toward telling about what we aimed for with our dac development process. It's purpose isn't to tell you some sort of "techno-mumbo-jumbo" story that gets you to buy it based on "tech talk". How many audiophiles have bought a product based on this "I'm convinced by their tech talk" scheme, only to have to sell it shortly thereafter because "the tech" didn't actually produce the state of the art sound they thought they were buying?

#3 - Customer support matters the most to us - We are a very customer driven company. We are all about getting you the ABSOLUTE BEST SOUND out of the product first and foremost. We do much more than just let you buy the product and figure out what to do next. We hold your hand through the entire process. Every facet of your purchase involves direct time with me going over everything in your computer, file ripping, set-up and future possibilities and other computer based upgrades to consider. It's all about taking you to the ultimate level sonically. You aren't left alone in the dark with one of our products. Excellent customer support is paramount with our company's philosophy.

#4 - "Technical design overview" - I talk in great length with potential customers about many things technical, both within the dac design itself and computer audio in general. Just recently I had a technical based discussion with a potential customer where we talked about jitter control and optimization, input receiver optimization, digital transmission path fundamentals, dac chip comparative schemes, regulation methodology, device selection criteria and output stage design implementation. All in one conversation mind you. That is all offered for free regardless if you buy a dac from us or not. Still skeptical? Just ask anyone on this forum that has personally talked to me on the phone. There is so much more to digital than just a dac chip, filter and a power supply. Much, much more has to be explained in great detail to really understand how true sonic greatness can actually be achieved. Which has rarely been the case in our professional opinion.

#5 - Special pricing for AC - I guess have to remind some here that we decided to offer a very special discount of $200 off just for AC members. Even though we told everyone we were going to the $1495 MSRP at the beginning of this year, your price is uniquely special. We just want to show you guys how much we care about AC members since some actually just found out about the Tranquility DAC near the end of the year when our introductory price was about to go away. It's all about taking care of you guys.

#6 - We win sonic comparisons - That is the core of what we are all about. Giving you much better sound for your hard earned money. Our company's entire foundation is resting on winning against other choices. When we developed this new DAC, we worked our tails off to secure the smallest micro harmonic details throughout the digital chain inside the dac. We found MANY things other companies miss entirely! It was a thorough and arduous process for us doing things like comparing over 60 output capacitors to each other in true double blind test before choosing one that gets the sound right. But that is not rocket science, that is just hardcore audiophile designers using their ears as a tool. The rocket science comes down to new innovative digital circuit refinements. Those are another thing entirely. That's something we aren't going to give away to our competition.

But, as an example of something uniquely, that sets us completely apart from the pack;

#7 - For example - We hand select the discrete output FET devices and match them prior to assembly. These devices were already bought from the component manufacturer in MATCHED batches BEFORE we went the one step farther to boot! Thus, we further match and optimize our output devices to absolute perfection. Then, we operate these output devices on the actual Tranquility DAC and the associated components for at least a day. This allows all micro voltage adjustment/drift of all supporting devices and any potential active device drifting to be settled into a much more perfect state. Better separation, better sonic space, better harmonic integrity are the goal here. It all adds up to a more amazing soundstage and more lifelike presentation. All of this is VERY unique in high end audio components (at any price). We personally believe that crazy details like these add up.

Thanks to the posters here who believe in us and bought a Tranquility. For those who are skeptical, we will try to find ways to get your ears to hear what we actually achieve with our Tranquility DAC too. We understand your position and demeanor. We are very different in everything we do and how we "look" as compared to most other audio companies. We want to get everyone back to the heart of what we think matters the most, at least to a true music lover. The sound of the product prevailing above other choices. The source defines your entire sound system. What's lost after the source cannot be added back into your music. It is lost forever. The source defines and expresses the true sonic greatness of your treasured music  :thumb:

Cheers,

Eric H