Salkstreamer II with Windows 11 network

PSB Guy

Salkstreamer II with Windows 11 network
« on: 1 Jun 2023, 09:34 pm »
Does anyone have any experience using the Salkstreamer on a Windows 11 network? If I enter the IP address into my Edge browser, I am able to access the configuration page fine, and access Rompr also. But the Salkstreamer does not show up in the Network section in File Explorer. I've tried rebooting the computer, Salkstreamer and router, no luck. Previously I was using Windows 10 with no issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2023, 11:39 pm by PSB Guy »

Saturn94

Re: Salkstreamer II with Windows 11 network
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2023, 02:46 am »
I’ve periodically have that issue with Windows 10.  This made transferring music files from my PC to the Salkstream impossible when it happened (the issue seemed kind of random).  My solution was to search for the Salkstream’s IP address in the file browser, then pin the Salkstream to the Quick Access column on the left side of the screen.  This way I can navigate directly to the Salkstream using the Quick Access link rather than via the Network link.

If it would help, tomorrow I can come up with some screenshots to show what I did.

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2023, 01:24 pm »
That's exactly the problem I've been having, I can't access the folders on the Salkstreamer to copy files to them, or point Dbpoweramp to it. When I search for the IP address in the file browser it just brings up the Salkstreamer main page in an Edge window. Could you post some screenshots? Thanks in advance

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2023, 03:11 pm »
Without getting too technical, this is an issue with Windows sometimes not recognizing network resources.  But there is a fairly easy solution (although you may have to use this technique every time).

First, select Network in Windows.  Then click on the icon showing a globe and a monitor:  Here is what it would look like...

The word "Network" will then appear in the address bar.  First, try replacing the word Network with "\\splayer.local".  If that does not work, you will need the IP address of the StreamPlayer.  Enter the IP address like this format: "\\192.168.1.1" using the correct  IP address for the StreamPlayer.

You should then see the StreamPlayer show up as a network device.

I have seen this issue with my own computers and even have other Windows computers on my network that are not recognized initially.  But if I use the IP address method above, I have no trouble manually accessing them.

Let me know if this does not work out for you.

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2023, 04:23 pm »

Something labelled R913V16T is now showing up in File Explorer after rebooting the Streamplayer. I am assuming it is the Streamplayer. It is asking for a usermame and password. I think the username is "splayer" but I don't know the password and it is not accepting a blank field.

Jim, I tried your suggestion and both times it said Windows could not access them. I can stiil access the Streamplayer through a browser to use for listening, as seen above, I just can't access its file system.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2023, 05:30 pm by PSB Guy »

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2023, 05:29 pm »
R913V16T is not the StreamPlayer (it may be your router). You should not need a username/passowrd to access the StreamPlayer via the network. 

Are you sure the IP address is correct?  In most cases, if you use a web browser and enter "//192.168.1.1" you will see the router.  If you know the router username and password, you can then see all the devices connected to the router and see which one is the IP address of the StreamPlayer. 

You can also google Wireless Network Watcher and install it.  When you run it, it will show you all the devices attached to your router.  That would be another way to insure the IP address is correct.

What router do you have (manufacturer and model name)?  I can try and see what it is.

If all that fails, you can always ship it to me and I can take a look at it.

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2023, 06:34 pm »
I just figured out that R913V16T is my wife's work computer, which is upstairs and on unbeknownst to me  :duh:. The router is a Hitron CGN3ACSMR and is labelled as such as seen in my post above. I know I have the right IP address for the Streamplayer, because I can access its homepage in a browser, as is also seen in my post above, which I have edited. The IP address was obtained using Wireless Network Watcher. I'm getting the feeling that the networking infrastructure of Windows 11 itself is the problem, not the router or the Streamplayer. I may end up dual booting Windows 10 and 11 to solve the problem.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2023, 07:11 pm »
Keep me posted.

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2023, 07:15 pm »
Would using a Mac have avoided all these problems?

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2023, 02:06 pm »
Would using a Mac have avoided all these problems?

Not necessarily.  I have seen a similar situation with MAC computers.  You have Windows, MAC and Linux systems trying to network with one another.  Sometimes everything works perfectly.  Other times, not so much.  You can normally always find other network devices by using IP addresses with any of these systems.  Network discovery will often fail, so you have to access them via IP addresses.  The issue is not related to the StreamPlayer, but rather the network discovery function in various systems.  My Windows system cannot automatically find all the Windows computers on my network, but will once I access them using their IP addresses.  My MAC can't automatically find my Windows computers or my Linux systems (including the StreamPlayer).  But I can always get any of them to work with any other using IP addresses.  It is a network discovery issue.

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2023, 05:59 pm »
That's too bad, I had a faint hope that it would be something as easy as replacing the computer. I'm positive the Streamplayer isn't the problem becase I can acess the home page and Rompr and it plays flawlessly. I checked and made sure Network Discovery was turned on in Windows 11. One thing I haven't tried is a factory reset of my Rogers internet combination cable modem/router, but that will have to wait until tomorrow when I can be offline. I'll keep trying and I'll keep you posted.

Cornelis
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2023, 07:22 pm by PSB Guy »

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2023, 07:01 pm »
That's exactly the problem I've been having, I can't access the folders on the Salkstreamer to copy files to them, or point Dbpoweramp to it. When I search for the IP address in the file browser it just brings up the Salkstreamer main page in an Edge window. Could you post some screenshots? Thanks in advance

My apologies for the delayed response.  I see Jim posted screenshots; I’m pretty sure that’s how I accessed the Salkstream to create a Quick Link (It’s been a long time since I did this).  I’ll double check and post if I find any new info that may help.

PSB Guy

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2023, 07:20 pm »
My apologies for the delayed response.  I see Jim posted screenshots; I’m pretty sure that’s how I accessed the Salkstream to create a Quick Link (It’s been a long time since I did this).  I’ll double check and post if I find any new info that may help.
No problem. I had a feeling that Jim's answer for your problem would be his answer for mine. Unfortunately, my issue seemes to be different.

Doublej

PSB Guy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2023, 08:57 pm »

PSB Guy

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2023, 10:34 pm »
It's been a while, but I finally found a fix for this. It involves installing and/or turning on SMBv1 under "Turn Windows features on or off". Apparently, there are some security issues with doing this, so hopefully it doesn't back-fire on me. Anyway, hope this can help someone else.

Cornelis

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2023, 11:04 pm »
It's been a while, but I finally found a fix for this. It involves installing and/or turning on SMBv1 under "Turn Windows features on or off". Apparently, there are some security issues with doing this, so hopefully it doesn't back-fire on me. Anyway, hope this can help someone else.

Cornelis

Here is a link to a post about SMBv1, 2 and 3 on Windows computers...
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

- Jim