Spotting Scopes - Range/ Bird Watching/ Nature - Recommendations?

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
I'm in the market for a new spotting scope and wanted to know if anyone here had some recommendations or thoughts on the following brands:

Barska
Simmons
Tasco
Nikon

I'm currently looking at a Simmons Master Series 20-60x80 to handle range duty beyond 100 yds but didn't want to miss anything. I'm not in the Swarovski league by any means so anything <400 would be best :D I need something strong enough to track groups as small as .22LR.

The requirements would be that its a complete unit and I don't have to buy a handful of accesories. I have no preference with the diopter angle, straight or angled, so that's not a big deal. It needs to be waterproof, nitrogen purged and rubber armored.

Thanks for your time and sorry if the post is off the wall.

Regards,
Mark

lazydays

Not knowing what your budgit is, and if you plan on using a camera with it let me just add a couple thoughts here:
* I use an 82mm Kowa that is the midline model. It's not in the same league with the flurite coated Kowas, but still better than 90% of them. I use the 27x eye piece, and have no trouble picking out pop rivet heads at 375 yards. Get very little if any mirage (this will separate the good ones from the also rans).
* The Pentax, Nikon Field Scope, and the B&L Elite series are also really good ones. The best I've seen on super hot days in full sun are the  and Liecas & Swarovskis. But on the cheap side you might want to look at the Celestron. A lot of guys are using them, but they are not at the same level as the others here. For 100 yards or less shooting the Celestron is probably all you need if you get at least a 77mm lens.
* More people cuss a spotting scope because of a cheapo tripod than anything else. They hop on the 60x eyepiece bandwagon, when all they need is 30x power. Good scopes are long and heavy, so buy a good tripod. The heavyduty Gitzos and Manfrettos are about as good as it gets. I have all my cameras and my two spotting scopes set up with the dove tail attachment for quick removal.
If your shooting off a bench, the ones from Sinclair and Champions Choice are the best.
Gary

lazydays

forgot to mention that you can really help a spotting scope out by using camera filters (yellow, red, and of course a polarizer). 77mm ones are much easier to come buy than the 82mm ones. Don't bother to buy expensive ones, as you really don't need them.
gary