Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1780 on: 27 May 2016, 10:05 am »
HI Chris, All,
Don't know if this is related to the sorting issue above, but i did change the default library jump settings in Media Player settings. I wouldn't know what this is for, so i thought to try just to see what happens.
Anyone knows what this does? Default, Show Back, Show Transport

Marius

Marius

« Reply #1781 on: 27 May 2016, 08:32 pm »
HI Chris,

Found the silencing culprit: Squeezelite was the cause I didn't hear anything come out of the BDP. The BDP handled everything correctly, only no sound emitting from it.
Is Squeezelite a service to en/disable each time you want to play from the BDP directly?
Does Squeezeslave behave the same?

This isn't really comfortable to be honest. If you keep these services like this, maybe it would be a good idea to have some sort of icon light up on the Mediaplayer interface to show which output is selected?

Cheers,
Marius

XMAN

« Reply #1782 on: 28 May 2016, 03:49 pm »
See there still a beta version of MM to try?

Krutsch

« Reply #1783 on: 28 May 2016, 04:37 pm »
HI Chris,

Found the silencing culprit: Squeezelite was the cause I didn't hear anything come out of the BDP. The BDP handled everything correctly, only no sound emitting from it.
Is Squeezelite a service to en/disable each time you want to play from the BDP directly?
Does Squeezeslave behave the same?

This isn't really comfortable to be honest. If you keep these services like this, maybe it would be a good idea to have some sort of icon light up on the Mediaplayer interface to show which output is selected?

Cheers,
Marius

Shairplay, Squeezelite and DLNA have similar issues: they don't release the audio device (ALSA) once they have played music. So, you can either reboot the BDP (which is what I do) or go into the services tab and DISABLE the service you no longer wish to use, if you want to go back to MPD playback.

Another alternative is to into Audio Device and reset the audio device from there.

OTM

« Reply #1784 on: 28 May 2016, 05:06 pm »
Shairplay
On an iPad  If I start by -clearing- the playlist in MM and then under AirPlay select BDP-2 I can sample music from download sites, play iTunes etc. through the bdp2
If I return to MM I just select music and it starts fine without having to disable shairplay
Can't comment on squeeze etc.

David

Marius

« Reply #1785 on: 29 May 2016, 09:04 am »
Shairplay, Squeezelite and DLNA have similar issues: they don't release the audio device (ALSA) once they have played music. So, you can either reboot the BDP (which is what I do) or go into the services tab and DISABLE the service you no longer wish to use, if you want to go back to MPD playback.

Another alternative is to into Audio Device and reset the audio device from there.

Rebooting didnt help in my settings, i really had to disable the service. It played immediately after that. Resetting the audiodevice didnt help either. I have two, not selected, since i believed that was only necessary for the USB interface tot DSD on the BDP2, i am on BDP1 and don't play DSD yet unfortunately.

I had played Roon over squeezelite some days ago, rebooted daily after that, still no sound. (must admit  i hadn't played over MPD for some days, so didnt notice before)

Ill remember now tot check the services immediately, maybe Chris will answer my request, for an easy indicator/switch in the Player interface.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2016, 08:00 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1786 on: 31 May 2016, 12:28 pm »
HI Chris,

Please would you post a reply where to look for this behavior?

Thanks,
Marius

adding to my previous post:

My observation of the last alphabetical folder placed incorrectly made me check the other drives.
Almost all folders show the final entry misplaced!! No matter where I check, in drive root or nested, on all drives but the ones with only up to four subfolders, the last alphabetical folder is placed incorrectly. Only Home and the original Bryston Thumb (which has the tracks preceded wit a number) show correctly. That is to say, Playlists is below POP, but that is correct behavior i think, since it isn't a drive?

2 more to illustrate what's happening:

This is quite peculiar. And never seen before up to now.Chris, would this justify a Service mode, or do you have any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1787 on: 31 May 2016, 12:45 pm »
OK Marius - I have a question for you ....

When do you have time to listen with all this work you are doing on your computer systems - LOL  :lol:

james

Marius

« Reply #1788 on: 31 May 2016, 12:47 pm »
4 hours of sleep suffices....
fiddling with the computers and listening can be done simultaneously  though.
Trouble starts while gardening   :D

OK Marius - I have a question for you ....

When do you have time to listen with all this work you are doing on your computer systems - LOL  :lol:

james

Spyman

« Reply #1789 on: 31 May 2016, 06:30 pm »
MY trouble starts because I won't DO gardening!  :green:

Marius

« Reply #1790 on: 31 May 2016, 08:36 pm »
MY trouble starts because I won't DO gardening!  :green:

Lol. You're a Briton?....... : http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/602544/Britons-lawn-patios-decking-neglect

BrystonFan

« Reply #1791 on: 31 May 2016, 10:49 pm »
Well, Bryston now has a product for you to listen while you do your gardening!
Hello BryFi

Spyman

« Reply #1792 on: 31 May 2016, 11:04 pm »

Lol. You're a Briton?....... : http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/602544/Britons-lawn-patios-decking-neglect

Nope. American...But, I'd rather be listening to my Bryston gear in the cool house than outside doing yard work in the heat. My philosophy: I would much rather bowl inside and have the ball come back to me, than play golf and chase it around in the hot sun!  :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #1793 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:13 pm »
How long should the "Sorting music into Bryston DB" stick around for? I recently added a new library on my NAS of ALAC files that I converted from all of my FLAC and WAV files so I could pay on iTunes. When I was browsing an Artists album getting ready to play it on the BDP I noticed every album had doubled up. So I went into the NAS menu and changed the share that the BDP uses so it wouldn't see the ALAC albums.

After the reset it seems stuck at "Sorting music into Bryston DB". When I go to the Dashboard it displays this message but also displays "Bryston DB crash detected".

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Rod_S

« Reply #1794 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:16 pm »
The Dashboard now says my NAS appears to be offline but it's not, it's up and running.

Rod_S

« Reply #1795 on: 6 Jun 2016, 09:46 pm »
I got it back. I had to remove and re-add the NAS.

Marius

« Reply #1796 on: 7 Jun 2016, 08:07 am »
HI Rod,

earlier discussions with Chris learned that you should have patience ;)
And after each reboot the DB builds a bit further, depending on the size of your library taking more times to do so.
If the library is too large (think >50000) it won't work on the BDP1, for its memory and processor specs are too inadequate.

Ive asked Chris to reenable the Scratch drive for the BDP1 to use for the DB like before, but Chris hasn't been back ever since....Hope the other things going on at Bryston don't keep them from updating the firmware of their first and foremost player to final edition.

Until then: big library => disable the Bryston DB, and play without Artis and album view in MM.

Cheers,
Marius

How long should the "Sorting music into Bryston DB" stick around for? I recently added a new library on my NAS of ALAC files that I converted from all of my FLAC and WAV files so I could pay on iTunes. When I was browsing an Artists album getting ready to play it on the BDP I noticed every album had doubled up. So I went into the NAS menu and changed the share that the BDP uses so it wouldn't see the ALAC albums.

After the reset it seems stuck at "Sorting music into Bryston DB". When I go to the Dashboard it displays this message but also displays "Bryston DB crash detected".

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1797 on: 7 Jun 2016, 03:15 pm »

If your running S2.24 then its likley a known issue with the firmware, its fixed in the current testing builds.  You can either upgrade to the latest testing build or try using the reset db function found in the media player settings.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1798 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:19 am »
HI Chris,

As of late, i find the MM interface on iPhone/Pad is more often than not unresponsive. I can load a few songs in the playlist, click back and forward a few times, but after a short while, clicking the interface doesn't work anymore.
The BR2 does communicate well, so i use that to stop playing the current track, then clear the playlist, go back to dashboard and reload media player, to start all over....

Might this be a recently introduced bug? or just the BDP1 taking its time to process.

Still, br2 always works immediately, as does Mpad in these cases, so that suggests a MM flaw?

Chees,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #1799 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:24 am »
If your running S2.24 then its likley a known issue with the firmware, its fixed in the current testing builds.  You can either upgrade to the latest testing build or try using the reset db function found in the media player settings.

Cheers,
Chris

I was running the latest Beta. Part of the issue turned out to be that I didn't properly add the NAS back in the settings. Once I realized my mistake it connected again and reloaded the library.