Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Servingthemusic.com

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1440 on: 12 Jan 2016, 11:23 pm »
Well, not to go off-topic, that is exactly the problem Roon is trying to solve. Whether it succeeds is up to you. If you have a Tidal subscription, it's worth spending time with and getting to know.

I have a massive library. I have spent 8 years curating, tagging, and organizing it in a very logical easy to navigate way. But I am open to any interface that will improve the experience. However, I will not conform to Roon..if it is really the intelligent software they say it is it has to conform to my need.

I think Tidal is great, but I have 12 TB of music, and I have no use for it currently.

I was not exactly sure what you mean by it is a problem they are trying to solve...?

Krutsch

« Reply #1441 on: 12 Jan 2016, 11:36 pm »
I have a massive library. I have spent 8 years curating, tagging, and organizing it in a very logical easy to navigate way. But I am open to any interface that will improve the experience. However, I will not conform to Roon..if it is really the intelligent software they say it is it has to conform to my need.

I think Tidal is great, but I have 12 TB of music, and I have no use for it currently.

I was not exactly sure what you mean by it is a problem they are trying to solve...?

I have about 1TB of music, also well curated. The problem is that I lose track of what I really have; especially music that I haven't listed to in a long time or purchased/ripped and never listed to, at all. Couple that with a streaming subscription, which I use to sample new stuff (i.e. try before buy), and it's a problem for *me* that isn't solved well with any hierarchical organization. You might be smarter than I am and don't need help "re-learning" what's in your library.

The really cool feature that I like: automated tagging/organization with cross referencing, based on generally accepted genre-categorization of music (i.e. curated by reviewers - especially well done for classical music). So, you are listening to one artist and can immediately find similar music that you may have forgotten is in your collection. A click/tap and you are there... rinse and repeat. I have spent many hours just bouncing around my own collection and listening to music I haven't heard in years.

Similarly, you can try music you don't have in your library via Tidal, using the same pattern above.

Note that Roon doesn't modify your own audio files - your tags are left alone; any meta data from Roon is stored in a separate database.

Roon isn't perfect - I find the actual playback interaction model not to my taste, but I've kept at it because I value the above part.

And, to be frank, it does sound good, but nothing beats MPD playback from locally stored files (USB drive) on my BDP-1.

Just my opinion, I am not affiliated with Roon.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1442 on: 13 Jan 2016, 12:16 am »
I have about 1TB of music, also well curated. The problem is that I lose track of what I really have; especially music that I haven't listed to in a long time or purchased/ripped and never listed to, at all. Couple that with a streaming subscription, which I use to sample new stuff (i.e. try before buy), and it's a problem for *me* that isn't solved well with any hierarchical organization. You might be smarter than I am and don't need help "re-learning" what's in your library.

The really cool feature that I like: automated tagging/organization with cross referencing, based on generally accepted genre-categorization of music (i.e. curated by reviewers - especially well done for classical music). So, you are listening to one artist and can immediately find similar music that you may have forgotten is in your collection. A click/tap and you are there... rinse and repeat. I have spent many hours just bouncing around my own collection and listening to music I haven't heard in years.

Similarly, you can try music you don't have in your library via Tidal, using the same pattern above.

Note that Roon doesn't modify your own audio files - your tags are left alone; any meta data from Roon is stored in a separate database.

Roon isn't perfect - I find the actual playback interaction model not to my taste, but I've kept at it because I value the above part.

And, to be frank, it does sound good, but nothing beats MPD playback from locally stored files (USB drive) on my BDP-1.

Just my opinion, I am not affiliated with Roon.

No worries. I absolutely appreciate your perspective.

To be fair, 1TB is far cry from 12TB...just sayin'...and I do see how Roon can be a huge benefit to many.

I have no problem what so ever discovering new music. I purchase 200 new albums per year, see many live shows,
and scour forums, bandcamp, etc endlessly. I don't need all the noise, and bio, and cross referencing.

I think DLNA/Linn Kazzoo is much better suited for me. I know what I want to listen to, I just want to select it and play it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1443 on: 13 Jan 2016, 12:29 am »
[/quote]

This is my concern as well as MPD is replaced with their audio engine.

james

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1444 on: 13 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »

This is my concern as well as MPD is replaced with their audio engine.

james

What happens during DLNA playback?

cmarinsr

« Reply #1445 on: 13 Jan 2016, 02:41 am »
I now have my BDP-2 up and running as a Roon end point. I'm impressed with the integration. Thanks again folks.

Any comments about Roon's playback engine SQ?

Thanks
C

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1446 on: 13 Jan 2016, 02:49 am »
Any comments about Roon's playback engine SQ?

Thanks
C

Sounded very good via the BDP-2. I did not do direct comparisons.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1447 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:31 am »

Thanks, Servingthemusic!

Unfortunately I can't say the same thing. I'm playing with Roon since last Friday, and, in my system/room has a darker presentation than MPD with recessed top end and high-mids. This combined with a heavier bottom end leaves the impression of less air between notes, no emotion in vocals and less controlled bass...

Carmen

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1448 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:37 am »
Thanks, Servingthemusic!

Unfortunately I can't say the same thing. I'm playing with Roon since last Friday, and, in my system/room has a darker presentation than MPD with recessed top end and high-mids. This combined with a heavier bottom end leaves the impression of less air between notes, no emotion in vocals and less controlled bass...

Carmen

Imteresting...i will listen again tomorrow.

Krutsch

« Reply #1449 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:17 am »

FWIW, I did do direct comparisons. I actually spent a lot of time doing so.

As I said earlier, MPD is the clear winner. With Redbook audio, I thought Bryston's implementation of RAAT on my BDP-1 sounded quite good; so, second place. Actually, I was shocked at how good Tidal content sounded via Roon.

For me, with my system and ears/brain, GmediaRenderer is a distant third in sound quality, which is why I stopped using DLNA/MinimServer with my BDP-1.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1450 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:22 am »
FWIW, I did do direct comparisons. I actually spent a lot of time doing so.

As I said earlier, MPD is the clear winner. With Redbook audio, I thought Bryston's implementation of RAAT on my BDP-1 sounded quite good; so, second place. Actually, I was shocked at how good Tidal content sounded via Roon.

For me, with my system and ears/brain, GmediaRenderer is a distant third in sound quality, which is why I stopped using DLNA/MinimServer with my BDP-1.

Awesome. Thanks for reporting on your comparisons. I would bet a good percentage of users would agree with your findings.

I was actually impressed by Tidal as well.

Krutsch

« Reply #1451 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:28 am »
Awesome. Thanks for reporting on your comparisons. I would bet a good percentage of users would agree with your findings.

I was actually impressed by Tidal as well.

I wish I could quickly switch between Roon RAAT and MPD playback on my BDP-1. I would use Roon for casual listening of my own library and Tidal, then switch to MPD (MPaD) for critical listening of my local library. Unfortunately, one needs to disable/enable Roon RAAT each time to release control of the sound card. Someone from Roon, on their forum, mentioned that Bryston was working on automated switching of audio output to solve this very problem and they were very complimentary of Bryston's internal architecture (they said it was very clean and they expected Roon to sound as good as it could).

I look forward to upcoming releases on Roon RAAT...

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1452 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:33 am »
I wish I could quickly switch between Roon RAAT and MPD playback on my BDP-1. I would use Roon for casual listening of my own library and Tidal, then switch to MPD (MPaD) for critical listening of my local library. Unfortunately, one needs to disable/enable Roon RAAT each time to release control of the sound card. Someone from Roon, on their forum, mentioned that Bryston was working on automated switching of audio output to solve this very problem and they were very complimentary of Bryston's internal architecture (they said it was very clean and they expected Roon to sound as good as it could).

I look forward to upcoming releases on Roon RAAT...

Good information, thanks. Would this be an issue if you used USB into your DAC?

Krutsch

« Reply #1453 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:35 am »
Good information, thanks. Would this be an issue if you used USB into your DAC?

Ahhh...  I did experiment with both S/PDIF and USB, but I can't be sure. I think once you use Roon RAAT, it locks up the active interface and you either disable Roon RAAT or, as I often did, just reboot the BDP.

Same issue with Squeeze and Airplay and DLNA, as far as I recall.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1454 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:10 am »
Thanks to all who've posted. I'm reluctant to invest in Roon exactly because I'm waiting to read others opinions and see if it impacts audio quality. If it does, I won't invest in it!

Marius

« Reply #1455 on: 13 Jan 2016, 07:55 am »
HI Chris,

While you're at...

please have the Media Player button appear on all pages. That would really save a lot of clicks on this side.....Especially coming from one of the Settings pages. 

what would also be a great addition:

Browse-to-current-track-button (in the MM right Browser window). More than often do i want to add another track, or related track of the music current playing one. Since ever so often that is nested deep in my library (and the browser is in its original Root, it takes a lot of clicks to arrive at the correct place in the library. A Browse to Current would  be awesome: instant location of the desired track.

Hope its feasible.

Marius

We should be able to accommodate that, I can make it working the same way as setting up the path in the cd backup settings page.

Cheers,
Chris

cmarinsr

« Reply #1456 on: 13 Jan 2016, 09:35 pm »
Roon Server 1.1 (build 94) is here. Better SQ, but I would still give the edge to MPD.

From the Release Notes:

"RoonReady Support
Roon now streams in bit-perfect quality to Roon Ready devices..."

Krutsch

« Reply #1457 on: 13 Jan 2016, 09:38 pm »
Roon Server 1.1 (build 94) is here. Better SQ, but I would still give the edge to MPD.

From the Release Notes:

"RoonReady Support
Roon now streams in bit-perfect quality to Roon Ready devices..."

Yes... I grabbed this last night and updated my RoonServer and re-tested with RAAT on my BDP-1. Still no love for high-res tracks, but Redbook and Tidal works very well (i..e sounds good and no issues or artifacts during playback).

Krutsch

« Reply #1458 on: 14 Jan 2016, 07:03 pm »
FYI, With the last set of Beta releases and the current, stable release, album art generation for the Artist View is broken (again).

This is on my FLAC/AAC/MP3 collection that used to reliably generate album art. Now, any album with a title containing non English characters fails to build thumbnails. Such as:

Album title: Liszt: Piano Sonata In B Minor, Funérailles, Etc.
Artist: CéU

... accent characters seem to be the problem, whether in the album title or in the artist name, as noted after rebuilding and reviewing my 15,000+ track library.

Using:

S2.22 2016-01-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1459 on: 14 Jan 2016, 09:57 pm »

... accent characters seem to be the problem, whether in the album title or in the artist name, as noted after rebuilding and reviewing my 15,000+ track library.

Using:

S2.22 2016-01-11

wondering if that could be the problem i'm having with Agnes Buen Garnås & Jan Garbarek - Rosensfole - ECM 1402.
but my problem is that i cannot "SAVE" a playlist which contains Agnes Buen Garnås & Jan Garbarek.
this could well be due to another reason, since thumbnails for this one and others are o.k.

using the same as Krutsch:

S2.22 2016-01-11

Fernando.