Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Mbain

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1260 on: 21 Oct 2015, 06:56 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to get the artists view setting in the media player to populate with metadata?  I have read the manic moose manual from front to back without being able to make this happen.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1261 on: 21 Oct 2015, 11:58 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to get the artists view setting in the media player to populate with metadata?  I have read the manic moose manual from front to back without being able to make this happen.

What version of the firmware are you running?  Also how many songs in your library and are using a BDP-1 or 2?

Mbain

« Reply #1262 on: 22 Oct 2015, 01:08 am »
S2.05 2014-07-11
Bdp-1
638 songs

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1263 on: 22 Oct 2015, 11:26 am »
S2.05 2014-07-11
Bdp-1
638 songs

Well the first thing you'll want to do is upgrade the firmware to s2.18, we just revamped the feature.  Nice s2.18 is installed there will be a new option in media player settings (the gear in media player), labeled Bryston DB enable, turn this on, click save and then rebuild DB.

Mbain

« Reply #1264 on: 22 Oct 2015, 04:40 pm »
Keep getting "filesystem cherck failed: md5 value missing file system check failed md5 value missing."

Mbain

« Reply #1265 on: 23 Oct 2015, 03:06 pm »
can't upgrade firmware, can't activate service mode, can't use bRadio, flashing media player screen...this is very frustrating and time consuming...sorry to complain but Manic Moose has been a total pain so far.  what to do? :cry:  I think the thing to do is have Bryston send me a memory card with the latest firmware upgrade of Manic Moose installed. 

Jozsef

« Reply #1266 on: 23 Oct 2015, 10:45 pm »
On my BDP2 with S2.18 using the default view, most times when I click BACK near the upper right, the page scrolls up so that the BACK button is at the very top. I would prefer that this didn't happen and also wonder if there is a particular browser or OS I can use for the ideal experience? (I find that the album art is sized differently depending on the browser, smallest rendering being with Vivaldi which I know is pre-release so no criticism there.)

On the topic of album art, the re-proportioning of any rectangular image into a square is a big aesthetic problem, admittedly not an everyday occurrence but common enough. I like Manic Moose better than standalone MPD clients I've seen so I hope this will be changed.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2015, 02:14 am by Jozsef »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1267 on: 24 Oct 2015, 04:14 am »
can't upgrade firmware, can't activate service mode, can't use bRadio, flashing media player screen...this is very frustrating and time consuming...sorry to complain but Manic Moose has been a total pain so far.  what to do? :cry:  I think the thing to do is have Bryston send me a memory card with the latest firmware upgrade of Manic Moose installed.

You should email Mike and ask him to do just that.

Marius

« Reply #1268 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:38 pm »
HI Chris,

Thanks for adding the recently added feature to the playlists, like i suggested.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as i had thought it would. Clicking the recently added, adds all tracks to the playlist  :duh: :duh:  Of course it does.... but i was looking for a way to browse the recently added tracks/albums instead of playlisting them.

Is there anyway you could realize that, like in Plex for example? It shows the latest albums on the frontpage/dashboard, lets you scroll through them, and of course click and play them.

Also, is it possible to have MM automatically add albums when they're added to the drive? I know one can enable the auto update on reboot, but that requires a reboot obviously and scan the whole library. While i am looking for a selective auto update of just the recently added files.

Cheers,
Marius

Mbain

« Reply #1269 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:50 pm »
I am still hoping for a reply to the postings and emails I have sent over the last several days that may finally correct the problems I have been having trying to update firmware with Manic Moose. :cry:

Marius

« Reply #1270 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:56 pm »
I am still hoping for a reply to the postings and emails I have sent over the last several days that may finally correct the problems I have been having trying to update firmware with Manic Moose. :cry:

I take it you can play music with MPD?
 or is the bdp 'bricked' in which case you'd need to reinstall the firmware on the internal card. Is rather easy to do actually, and described on this forum. If it is not bricked, you could also try to restate factory settings. If that won't go from within MM, you can also do that from the front panel.

Cheers,
Marius

Mbain

« Reply #1271 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:04 pm »
Marius,
     Thank you for your prompt response.  Manic Moose S2.05 will play however it is in capable of updating firmware to 2.18 via the web interface.  In fact the unit seems like it will not respond to any commands properly via the web interface.  if it does respond it does so very very very slowly.  I have had several suggestions regarding what to do from Unincognito and Chris all to no avail.

Marius

« Reply #1272 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:07 pm »
Marius,
     Thank you for your prompt response.  Manic Moose S2.05 will play however it is in capable of updating firmware to 2.18 via the web interface.  In fact the unit seems like it will not respond to any commands properly via the web interface.  if it does respond it does so very very very slowly.  I have had several suggestions regarding what to do with Unincognito and Chris all to no avail.

I recognize the slow response time, i always reboot then and things speed up. You did try that didn't you...? Also, only recently did i notice that on my Macs, Chrome seems to be better for MM than Safari. Try that if your on a mac would you?

do this first, then see if things get better.

Marius

Mbain

« Reply #1273 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:12 pm »
Will do.  Thanks

Mbain

« Reply #1274 on: 28 Oct 2015, 02:40 pm »
Marius,
     To keep you updated, I was successful updating MM yesterday doing nothing different than I had done on 50 previous attempts.  No problems, no hassle this time.  I' m wondering if the problem was on the Bryston server end.  I suppose I will never know.  Anyway thanks for you encouragement.  By the way, the update is a huge improvement over 2.05.  I would encourage anyone to give it a try

Marius

« Reply #1275 on: 28 Oct 2015, 02:56 pm »
good for you!
now start enjoying your BDP to the max.

Cheers,
Marius

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Marius,
     To keep you updated, I was successful updating MM yesterday doing nothing different than I had done on 50 previous attempts.  No problems, no hassle this time.  I' m wondering if the problem was on the Bryston server end.  I suppose I will never know.  Anyway thanks for you encouragement.  By the way, the update is a huge improvement over 2.05.  I would encourage anyone to give it a try

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1276 on: 29 Oct 2015, 02:32 am »
hi folks (or chris),

any suggestions how i fix this red stuff??

cheers,TJ

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1277 on: 29 Oct 2015, 03:36 am »
hi folks (or chris),

any suggestions how i fix this red stuff??

cheers,TJ

You have a media player setting turned on, show missing files and folders from mpd database.  More info can be found in the manic moose manual.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

Marius

« Reply #1278 on: 29 Oct 2015, 08:03 am »
You have a media player setting turned on, show missing files and folders from mpd database.  More info can be found in the manic moose manual.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

HI TJ,

you can get rid of a lot of these files, so called Apple files and its orphan files, by using Blue Harvest http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/ on your usb drives. Won't take out the red files that should be there but aren't indexed by MM (like album art etc) but takes out all the other garbage.

if you want to do an extreme cleanup use Tinkertool System http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerToolSys2.html

Both are small and cheap, and extremely useful (caution: powerful) apps.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2015, 07:45 am by Marius »

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1279 on: 30 Oct 2015, 03:23 am »
thanks chris. i turned off the 'show missing files' option and it worked.
as marius suggests, looks like i need to do some 'cleaning' of my external hard drive...hummmmm  :scratch: