Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

low.pfile

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #420 on: 23 May 2009, 06:06 pm »
I saw Zee Avi last night. I enjoyed this performance.

She sounded just like this video of 4 songs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdXDgaEgaJ8

She just released her debut CD. Just a few songs since her repertoire is not deep.

The Rickshaw Stop (SF) has great acoustics, which really let her voice shine.

GregC

« Reply #421 on: 23 May 2009, 07:49 pm »
My wife and I saw Fleetwood Mac in San Jose, CA on Thursday.  This was a homecoming for Stevie and Lindsey so they really put on an incredible show and there was great crowd energy.  The acoustics started a little rough but that was sorted out after the first couple songs.  What a treat to see this rock legend and have them be on top of their game.

low.pfile

« Reply #422 on: 28 May 2009, 03:40 pm »
I've been listening to M83 and James Yuill quite a bit this year. And luckily played together last night at Mezzanine.

James Yuill, creates a unique sound of folk/rock and electronica in his recordings, but live he is performing more progressive house, cramming beats and loops between live guitar notes and a few vocals. I think he surprised many at Mezzanine, being a virtual unknown locally--by the end of the set he had everyone grooving and screaming.

M83 set started with a solo by Anthony on keyboards and sequencer creating a huge layered encompasing sound that lasted for some time, ala Lost Cities.... Then older material was mixed in. The crowd responded postively to the songs from the recent more pop hooked albums. Anthony and Morgan make a great duo. She's a Kate Bush doppleganger. While a handful danced hard, surprisingly many of this primarily 20-something crowd was barely swaying even to the energetic fun tunes. Go figure.

While I wasn't there for the acoustics, as past shows highlighted that they had problems, it was notable. Unfortunately James Yuill's set suffered from a combo of the bad acoustics, sound system. But somehow M83's sound was very dramatically cleaned up comparatively.

Nonetheless, it was very cool to see them live. just wish James' set was not so distorted. primarily it was his vocals.

Curious to see if they were limited by there choice of speaker, I googled the name EAW which I saw on the arrays. I easily found out that Mezzanine has a EAW sound system powered by QSC amps. This is a hybrid DJ/ live music set up. For both James Yuill, and a recent Estelle performance, the highs were severly distorted and there was a major upper/mid midrange suckout. Room reflections really screw up the sound as well; the walls are concrete block or cement. I couldn't tolerate the distortion (the last 2 concerts) at the shows without my -32db earplugs. FWIW, the understage 2 x 18" subwoofer units were impressive: smooth and capable of flapping skin.

Has anyone here been to a live show at Mezzanine? I've been to at least 6.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 04:43 pm by low.pfile »

ricmon

« Reply #423 on: 28 May 2009, 05:02 pm »
I went to the Beal Street Music festival in Memphis.  I didn't get to see/hear all the acts (humanly impossible) but here are the one I did see.  If you can get there go next year because not only are the acts top notch but the sound systems are reallllly good.
Ben Harper & Relentless7, Medeski, Martin & Wood, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic, The Roots, G. Love & Special Sauce.  I baled out Sunday because of weather and missed Bonnie Rait.

check out the entire lineup.

http://www.thebealestreetmusicfestival.com/bealestreetmusicfestivallineup.htm

Next week live music schedule: http://www.okayplayer.com/rootspicnic/

low.pfile

« Reply #424 on: 28 May 2009, 05:37 pm »
ricmon, how do tickets work for beale street? $$$? it's in more than one venue, no?

I'd be at that rootspicnic on saturday for sure, but I'm on the opposite coast. enjoy!

ed

ricmon

« Reply #425 on: 28 May 2009, 08:15 pm »
ricmon, how do tickets work for beale street? $$$? it's in more than one venue, no?

ed

The ticket prices were the best $63 bucks for the entire weekend or $33 a day.  And yes it's all in one venue, basicly too much to see, it's huge!  If the line up is as good next year I'll go again.  Man what a good time. :guitar: :drums: :banana piano: :dance: :wine: :beer: :notworthy:

low.pfile

« Reply #426 on: 29 May 2009, 02:07 am »

ed

The ticket prices were the best $63 bucks for the entire weekend or $33 a day.  And yes it's all in one venue, basicly too much to see, it's huge!  If the line up is as good next year I'll go again.  Man what a good time. :guitar: :drums: :banana piano: :dance: :wine: :beer: :notworthy:

What a deal! Outside lands Fest here in SF is $225 Advance for a 3-Day Ticket. So I'd estimate a $90 per one-day ticket price--though there is quite a lineup, but simultaneous acts. Last year The Treasure Island Music Fest in SF was $65 for one day, plus fees of course!

cheers, ed

Demarche

« Reply #427 on: 29 May 2009, 03:52 pm »
Saw Luka Bloom last night at Mississippi Studios. It was a excellent show in a great venue. If you're not familiar with Luka, he's an Irish singer/songwriter, with the uneviable task of being Christy Moore's younger brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKdMQ7bNRo&feature=channel_page

BradJudy

« Reply #428 on: 5 Jun 2009, 01:43 pm »
My wife and I saw Katie Melua at Eddie's Attic last night (small local venue ~100 people).  David Berkeley was a good opening act and I dug the simple combination of acoustic guitar and horn.  He had some good banter and his wife and son were sitting at the table next to us, enjoying the show. 

Katie Melua performed solo and alternated between playing electric guitar, acoustic guitar and piano.  Her live sound was very close to her recorded sound. 

The venue is small enough and arranged such that the artists have to walk through the audience to reach the stage, and Katie Melua is tiny - one of those 100lbs soaking wet people. 

It was a good show and a great bargain at the whopping $14 for tickets (including taxes/fees).  Of course, that doesn't include the dinner and drinks we had there, which is how Eddies makes their living (the door goes to the performers). 

JoshK

« Reply #429 on: 6 Jun 2009, 04:19 pm »
I am going to see Elvis Costello on Wednesday and I don't even like Elvis. :roll:

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #430 on: 7 Jun 2009, 12:18 am »
Didn't get John Hiatt until I saw him live then everything clicked in place. Josh, hopefully your have a similar experience with Elvis. Going to see Iris Dement tonight.

WGH

« Reply #431 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:36 pm »
David Bromberg put on a terrific show last Saturday at the Rialto playing a mix of blues and traditional songs. David still has his distinctive voice and delivery, he also played a few songs at the front of the stage without microphones and joked with the audience, a good time was had by all.

David has no set play list, he makes it up as he goes along so every concert is different. He is currently touring with Bobby Tangrea (mandolin, guitar, fiddle), Bob Taylor (bass), Jeff Wisor (fiddle, mandolin) along with the Angel Band, three women singing tight soaring harmonies. Ali Paige has a powerful outstanding voice and is a great addition to the group.

Wayne

mjosef

« Reply #432 on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:58 am »
Vision Jazz Festival kicks off tonight (Tues.)
Missed the opening act. Listened in to 3 groups.

First off was Billy Bang's Brass n' Bang with three trumpets, a trombone, drums and violin.

Next up was Douglas R. Ewart and Inventions with Amiri Baraka spoken word, Joseph Jarman on flute, sax, percussion and poetry...Thurman Baker on drums and marimba, J.D. Parran on flutes, bass-sax and percussion. And Ewart on flutes, sopranino sax, didjeridu, voice and percussion.  This group didn't gel too well, lotsa talent but the set felt disjointed.

Finally le creme de la creme.
Lawrence "Butch" Morris conducting a Chorus of Poets & String Ensemble, Conduction No.187, Erotic Eulogy.
8 vocalists, two violins, two viola, two contrabass and giant harp. Talk about precision movements, and a flow that was graceful and as natural as the wind blowing over the treetops.
An excellent closing set.

Demarche

« Reply #433 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:14 am »
Saw the Tragically Hip last night. They were fantastic. For a Tuesday night show they didn't hold anything back. The played 2 sets and the place was packed. It was a warm night and according to one of the bartenders "the f-ing singer didn't want the A/C on 'cause of his voice". The place did turn into a sauna, everyone was sopping wet by the time they left. That being said it was still a great show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGyKECUh80

Captain Humble

« Reply #434 on: 18 Jun 2009, 05:26 am »
Last Saturday night
American Airlines Center
Dallas, TX

Andrea Bocelli

He is that good! :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #435 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:05 pm »
Bela Fleck with Toumani Diabate at the Rialto in Tucson.

The two virtuoso musicians played for almost two hours with a lot of improvisation, they were clearly having a good time on stage. The music is not like anything Bela has done with the Flecktones so if you like world music this duo is a must see.

Bela and Toumani will be playing at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival tomorrow, Friday - June 19th, so this performance was a great opportunity to see them playing in an intimate setting.

Find more info about Toumani Diabate and listen to his music here:
http://www.myspace.com/toumanidiabate
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89656766

Bela's tour dates can be found here:
http://www.belafleck.com/tourdates.html

Wayne

mjosef

« Reply #436 on: 26 Jun 2009, 03:56 am »
Femi Kuti and Positive Force free concert at the Brooklyn Prospect Park Bandshell. 2009/06/25-9.00pm

The sound system was kicking, man those drum kicks packed a punch. I dream of having that same impact on my stereo.  aa
As for the music, it was ok I guess...never did warm up to Femi...this was the second time I have heard him live, and still nothing to make me go, waw. I saw his father a couple times live and he made me go ...waw, wow-waw. The original ital.  :drool:

Delacroix

« Reply #437 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:41 am »
Brasil Guitar Duo, United Methodist Church Hall, Village Center, Austin, Friday night. Unamped dual nylon string guitars playing a mix of classical and contemporary Brasilian in a relatively intimate setting (a little more than a hundred people). Forget soundstaging or bass punch, this was low volume, detailed yet clear;  you could hear every little finger stroke on two instruments intimately bound in the hands of players who could react to each other in real time. It was music, not hifi.

roscoeiii

Sunn 0)))
« Reply #438 on: 3 Jul 2009, 03:14 pm »
Wow. Saw Sunn 0))) in Chicago last night. Something completely different AND NOT FOR EVERYBODY. But damn was I impressed. They sometimes refer to Sunn 0))) (pronounced "sun" and named after amplifiers!) as sludge metal. There is none of metal's fast paced riffs. This band is all SLOW AND LOW. Bass heads take note. The bass was felt for the entire duration of the show. Unrelenting waves of it. Beautiful, slow and cathartic. Topped off with massive use of smoke machines and the band members all wearing full-length hooded robes that obscured their faces while they played. Perhaps the show would best be referred to as a "sonic experience" than "concert" in the normal sense of the term. But well, well worth it. Their new album Monoliths and Dimensions is also excellent, and will put the bass end of your system to the test. Sunn 0))) recommends "maximum volume for maximum effect." And it does have a visceral effect.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #439 on: 4 Jul 2009, 02:24 am »
Saw "Wicked" on Tuesday night, great show, revisionist and very Ozmopolitan.