Any experience with Morrow OB?

Canyoneagle

Any experience with Morrow OB?
« on: 3 Oct 2006, 07:20 pm »
Does anyone here have any experience with the Open Baffle speakers from Morrow Audio?
These utilize a 15" P-audio coax (single capacitor crossover) driver with a HUGE magnet - 99dB sensitivity, 8 ohms.
Michael
http://www.morrowaudio.com/

morayjames

Re: Any experience with Morrow OB?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2006, 10:15 pm »
check out audio asylum as there has been discussion of the P Audio drivers there. You can also have a look at the big Radian coax and the Beyma as well as the 18 Sound coax drivers. Regards Moray James. PS: don't forget the Altec 604 coax perhaps the most famous studio monitor ever.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2006, 10:31 pm »
Something to keep in mind is that a huge magnet can mean a lower Qts, which would give less bass on an OB than the same driver with a smaller magnet.

Dave :)

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2006, 12:10 am »
Monster driver built for PA, but may sound great.  Bass augmentation definitely required.
The baffle is a joke and should come free with the drivers.  $426 plus shipping for that
baffle...They should be ashamed of themselves. :nono:

morayjames

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2006, 10:34 pm »
Is that a cable tie holding the crossover to the frame?
OHHHH, the Note says that from now on they'll use furniture grade plywood.... :roll: :lol:
John, you're correct, they should be ashamed. 
They say they're "upgrading" to plywood?! My god man.
Michael, moral of the story is, even if your not very "tool oriented", you could build a better rig for less cash.
You CAN do better.

Bob
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2006, 11:57 pm by Bob Jackson »

Canyoneagle

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2006, 05:08 am »

Is that a cable tie holding the crossover to the frame?
OHHHH, the Note says that from now on they'll use furniture grade plywood.... :roll: :lol:
John, you're correct, they should be ashamed. 
They say they're "upgrading" to plywood?! My god man.
Michael, moral of the story is, even if your not very "tool oriented", you could build a better rig for less cash.
You CAN do better.

Bob

Yes. I agree.
At this point, I'm firmly in the DIY camp for OB (and possibly horns, etc).
I've never worked with solder/electronics, but I have worked with wood enough to know my way around a well equipped shop.
My primary inquiry (I guess) was about the "P-Audio" drivers.
That MDF baffle is ridiculous for the cost bump.   :shake:

I just picked up a pair of Omega XRS, and plan to get an OB project started in the coming months.

I'm sure I'll be around on this circle.
Thanks, Michael

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2006, 12:18 pm »
Michael, I'm a fresh little virgin in the world of OB. Have one set of "test baffles" with junk drivers, just to see if OB was for me (By the way, my first set of "tests" look better than those Morrows  :roll:).
I've learned volumes by a couple of the individuals that have responded to your thread.
Amazing what OB can do. Even done "wrong". Funny thing is,... you almost can't do them wrong, and still sound great.
Don't worry about soldering. If your capabilities include woodworking, which it appears they do, soldering is a breeze. The folks here can help troubleshoot wiring issues as they come.
Good luck Michael

....Be seein' ya'.
Bob

Canyoneagle

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2006, 03:44 pm »
Thanks,Bob.
I tend to be pretty handy, and I love working with my hands, so I'm not worried about soldering (speaker terminals are probably much less daunting than something lige resistors and capacitors on a teeny circuit.
I'd also like to fab up a nice set of speaker cables to compliment my set of Chord co. Carnivals (old version).  There's a nice set of John Risch design twisted pair cables with full instructions over at Audiyo.com.

This kind of stuff helps preserve my sanity from working in an office all day!

Cheers,
Michael

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2006, 08:15 pm »
This kind of stuff helps preserve my sanity from working in an office all day!

Works well for dealing with the public too.
Don't forget the pictures.  :D

Bob