What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?

Freo-1

What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?
« on: 18 Sep 2019, 09:34 pm »
Let's hear your inputs for the best high efficiency speakers for low wattage applications?  Pictures are most welcome!

Blackmore

Re: What are the top speakers for low wattage systems?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2019, 09:58 pm »
I've heard the Volti Rivals twice at AXPONA driven by BorderPatrol amps and DAC.  Always a fun time listening to them.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:16 pm »
Today my fave are this big cone that was out of the line and came back:
https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15cfspecs.jpg
99dB and 50Wrms must delivery some performance.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:22 pm »
It's not as easy to say a speaker is efficient or inefficient as it used to be.  For example, most of the GR-Research speakers now include open baffle servo bass modules, but the planar magnetic sections and smaller mid woofer sections may run easily on 10W and down.  So would you say these require 200W or 8W?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:32 pm »
Given that when people are talking about low wattage systems they are saying they want to use an SE tube amp.

Here the highish output impedance of the amplifier means a fairly flat impedance curve in the loudspeaker, or a FR and impedance that work to stretch the extention at both ends.

Efficiency itself is not as important as some may think, but flat impedance is important (and a bass alignment that takes the high output impeance into consideration).

So the question becomes: What is your low wattage amplifier?

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:39 pm »
Volti Rivals

Ugly impedance curve:

Ugly FR:

But it looks like with a hign output impedance the big bump in the impedance at XO is compensated by a big shallow in the FR (as measured with a low output impednce amp). But it probably won’t fill in the whole dip. No aid in the top, but some extension at the bottom may happen — but only if the speaker is designed for a high output impedance amplifier.

dflee

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:45 pm »
I haven't heard a whole lot but the Forte III is one I would drool over.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:50 pm »
I suppose flat impedance requirement apply only to speakers with xover, FR drivers already have a flat impedance.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:59 pm »
I haven't heard a whole lot but the Forte III is one I would drool over.

I have those in my 2nd system, on the main floor.  They are pretty awesome, and a clear step up over the prior iterations (which were all too rough/bright). I like the Forte 3 even better than the new Cornwall 4 I heard at RMAF. 

They are also very easy to get to sound good with SET amps.  I rotate between an 18 watt Almarro A318B, an 8 watt Japanese Elekit 300b and a 2 watt TAL Korneff Type 45 amp.  All of them sound great and all of them can rock out with plenty of bass and also do finesse with jazz or classical.

They aren’t as refined and don’t image as well as other audiophile speakers, if you want that, look at GR Research or Spatial Audio for really good open battle designs that are often very SET friendly.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2019, 01:13 pm »
for really good open battle designs
Or if they don't have enough space, they could try the opposite, a closed conflict design.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:03 pm »
What are opinions regarding Klipschorns?  It's been MANY years since I've listened to them, but I do remember that they were one of very few speakers that sounded like the music was live when standing in an adjacent room.   

Yomaha

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:20 pm »
What about Devore 0/96's?  I keep reading stunning reviews of them.  Of course, that doesn't make them great, but I have yet to see much criticism of them.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:36 pm »
Or if they don't have enough space, they could try the opposite, a closed conflict design.

Stupid autocorrect, lol.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:46 pm »
I gave up on SET's 15 years ago, couldn't find high efficiency speakers that weren't colored and/or lacked reasonable bass response.

The best solution is a 4-5 inch driver with a subwoofer (or 4) added.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:55 pm »
I gave up on SET's 15 years ago, couldn't find high efficiency speakers that weren't colored and/or lacked reasonable bass response.

I'd have agreed with you 5 (and especially 10) years ago.  But things have changed.  The Forte 3s are a bit of a game changer, as are the speakers with powered bass sections and high efficiency midrange/high sections, like GR Research and Spatial Audio make.  SETs definitely require careful speaker matching, but once you achieve that, it's totally worth the time/effort/money.

ZENTISH

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2019, 03:01 pm »
 Hi,    I have the SONIST -"CONCERTO 4's" that are powered with a 5 watt amp. They reach down to 27 hz and the spl rating is 97db. I've also owned their little brother the stand mounted CONCERTO 2, both speakers sounded pretty much the same with the 4's having more and lower bass and the ability to fill a larger room with sound.

TISH

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2019, 03:49 pm »
  Omega, Spatial, Rethm. A good place to start. 

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2019, 03:52 pm »

With FR speakers you are using drivers where it is no longer possible to improve them or it is difficult to improve them currently, to get an idea of the situation the color of the cones influences the sound of the speakers, most cones are black, few are white, some dont use dyes and have that beige/light yellow color.

This grade of precision you want is possible only with some expensive headphones.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:42 pm »
Agree about the Sonist Concerto 4. Very good speakers for low power SET. They were out of business for a while but appear to be back. Reasonably priced too.

http://sonistaudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=48

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2019, 06:49 pm »
I suppose flat impedance requirement apply only to speakers with xover, FR drivers already have a flat impedance.

That is typically the case, but they do have a tendency to rise at the bass resonance, and if no copper sleeve, at the HF. These rises in impedance used with a high output impedance amplifier can be used to extend the FR.

dave