Alex Yoon / Wave Touch Audio

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Alex Yoon / Wave Touch Audio
« on: 21 May 2014, 05:19 am »
Guys,

This whole situation flusters me a bit because I'm such a no-voodoo guy.

Today I went to visit Alex Yoon at his factory in downtown Los Angeles.  It's on a little street where at least 30 unfortunate homeless folks have set up residence.  Inside, it's obvious that a mad scientist is at work. 

Here's Alex himself avoiding photographs.  He's shy.

Here's his home theater rig, in the back of the office.

Here's his wave guide contraption.  Looks like "Batman" right?

Here's the explanation, which sounds to me that he's creating a tunnel to the listener.  Whatever it is, it's working for me.

http://www.wavetouchaudio.com/tech.html

Here's the damn pair of speakers (Grand Tetons, Piano lacquer) in my house after I bought them.

The Tannoys will be going back to Amazon.  To quote Roger Sheker, they're "dog shit" compared with Alex's Grand Tetons (aka, Batman).

If you're wondering how they compare to Audience THE ONE... it's hard to compare.  Alex and I both agree that THE ONE is one of the best speakers ever made for the vocal range.  They're unbelievable.  In a larger room where you want more juice and if you like -- as I do -- the AMT sparkle, I'd prefer the Grand Tetons.  For close listening and off-axis, THE ONE is the champ.

Speaker stands are coming tomorrow.  Wife is away and doesn't know that the living room has been taken over.  My resolve will be tested.

So here's the deal.  Alex has agreed to send a scuffed and dented/punctured (whatever) pair on tour.

Who's in?

Seth

PS - he has a couple pairs up on Audiogon.  The birch ones are really special in person.  Awesome craftsmanship not withstanding the strange holes in back.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-factory-defective-grand-teton-speaker-wavetouch-audio-the-most-beautiful-sounding-s-2014-05-15-speakers-90015-los-angeles-ca

ericlp151

Re: Alex Yoon / Wave Touch Audio
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2014, 09:14 am »
http://www.creative.com/products/speakers/tech/?id=81436  kinda same concept except his device isn't attached to the speaker.

ah well... I'd have to hear it first.  :)  Interesting tho.

Chris Adams

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2014, 02:46 pm »
Can't resist.  I just ordered a pair. :o

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2014, 04:55 pm »
Chris - that's awesome.  These things are very cool (if a bit strange).

Chris Adams

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 04:59 pm »
Just got off the phone with Alex and paid for speakers.  What a nice guy!  It was a pleasure to speak with him and hear his passion for his product.  Can't wait to get these in the music room. :D

I don't mind the strangeness, in fact, I think it adds to the cool factor. 8)

Rubbbq

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 05:03 pm »
Can you give us a better description of how the speakers sound?
Put me on the list for the listening tour.....

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 05:18 pm »
We'll make you first on tour.  Please send me a PM and send $40 for shipping to paypal: "listening@virtueaudio.com"

What I'm hearing is tons of detail and plenty of volume (92 db sensitivity), even without a sub.  Imaging is huge and there is literally no distortion or muddiness in the upper ranges.  Mid-bass is incredibly satisfying.  Jury is out on vocals (around the cross-over point) but it's not bothering me. 

Alex's sound profile is "soft" although I'm hearing something exciting.  A bit reminiscent of Zu Audio.  The Tannoy's sound really laid back and muddy by comparison, although perhaps a bit fuller in the bass due to more surface area.  But I'm not missing bass in the Wave Touch.  It's very much an "oh, yeah" kind of presence. 

They're super directional obviously.  When you're standing over them they sound like a clock radio.

It sounds more "live" than anything I've heard in a very long time.

This is with the ONE.3 with a presently disconnected sub.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 06:32 pm by virtue »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2014, 06:50 am »
Any other WaveTouch listeners out there yet?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2014, 09:12 am »
Phase plugs have been around the extended range driver camp for years, but Alex's explanation would have us believe that his device turns a cone into a horn and produces a laminar wave flow.  I don't know what to think of it, but goes counter to the controlled directivity camp that uses wave guides to the opposite effect.  Still looks like a mad scientist contraption, so I'll wait for the next generation (and hopefully a more refined/finished product).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2014, 02:53 pm »
Danny Richie would know.

I think he's selling the MDF speaker for $1,000.  It's really a hug step-up from my $600 and up speakers.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2014, 05:49 pm »
The tour has begun!

Andrew first.  Post impressions here!

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2014, 08:29 pm »
They're super directional obviously.

So an extremely small sweet spot? Like, head-in-a-vice size?

My SET tube amps have only one output tap, so not a choice between 8 and 4 ohms. Would these work OK for me (his web site specifies 4-ohm)?

(92 db sensitivity)

His web site specifies 94 db. Did you measure differently, or is your spec a typo?

Wavetouch

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:20 pm »
Hi Gentlemen,
I've just registered. I am happy to be here! Thank you for this thread!

Back to questions from Rockadanny,
Grand Teton speaker is 94 db. 92 db is typo.

One output tap is OK. I always connect 8 ohm tap even if there are 4 and 8 ohm taps. Grand Teton is 4 ohm thou.

Every speakers should have a very small sweet spot where is same distance from left and right speakers. If any speaker doesn't have that small sweet spot, the sound may be diffused and delayed in circuits like a church PA system or just not a good speaker. If a listener will not perceive the different distance with left and right speakers, those speakers are not for hi-end music reproduction.

Grand Teton has a pinpoint imaging. If one side speaker is moved ¼ inch, the listener hears clearly. Since Grand Teton has clear sound images, finding a sweet spot is easy and obvious. It's OK to seat outside of sweet spot with Grand Teton. There are plenty of musicality and sonic satisfaction outside of sweet spot. Just any listener (even non-audiophile) will know where the sweet spot is with Grand Tetons.

Many recording studios use speakers that are not capable. With diffused and unclear sound, the recording engineer won't make an accurate recording. Even the performer is not perfectly centered in many recordings. Grand Teton is a super detailed and revealing speaker that I can hear flaws in recordings. It's fun to find out something others can't hear. I have few emails from pro-sound engineers and it's good that more recording studios will use Grand Tetons for their work.

Grand Teton is all about mid-range purity, transparent sound stage (no headache), no listener fatigue, musicality, etc.

Alex

Wavetouch

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:35 pm »
Grand Teton's sound is very open and realistic that one doesn't have to be in a sweet spot to enjoy music.
Alex

jonbee

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:15 am »
I'm signed up for the tour. I've been looking at them for awhile, and there is only one way to sort out the talk from the walk.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2014, 03:18 am »
Keep us informed, Jon. 

As you know, headphone are fairly directional ;-) 

I think these are similar.

srb

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:07 am »
As you know, headphone are fairly directional ;) 
I think these are similar.

With headphones you can move your head 1/4" or 4 feet and the sound doesn't change.

Steve

ricardojoa

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2014, 09:46 am »
Sounds like these are great speakers, anything else sucks :roll: :lol:

rockadanny

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:04 pm »
Thank you Alex for the informative reply.  :thumb:

worldcat

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2014, 12:10 am »