I've been working on new LGK drivers

Danny Richie

I've been working on new LGK drivers
« on: 21 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
The company that made the LGK drivers for me has merged with another company and they no longer have access to or can no longer get the exact materials that were used in making the original LGK drivers. So they have been working on a new version but have not been able to get it done correctly. I don't think they have the engineers that they once had. I have tried several variants as well as some drivers that they thought I'd like. So far we haven't produced the driver that I am looking for.

I am very particular with regards to accuracy within the frequency response. They also can have no stored energy issues or resonances that show up in the impedance response. I'm about to my wits end with these guys, and may have to look elsewhere for new drivers.

And of course they have been closed for Chinese new year. They shut down everything for about a month over there for that.

I have been working on replacements since last summer. And I don't have a lot of the standard LGK drivers left.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: I've been working on new LGK drivers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2019, 04:38 pm »
Bummer. It must be hair pulling to constantly have drivers becoming unavailabe.

Is there no way to get the design/manufacturing so somebody else can build the driver? Or reverse engineer one youhave?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2019, 06:28 pm »
Well that's no good. Hope you can find an equivalent soon, or maybe even something better at the same price point.

I can understand why some manufacturers design & build their own Drivers. Having a supplier discontinue a model you still want to use has got to be frustrating.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2019, 06:37 pm »
Now you guys know another reason why I like designing our own drivers and having them made for us. I need to have some control of availability and know that I can have more made at any time.

I wasn't counting on this company not being able to produce more of them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:47 pm »
You would think if they chose not to produce them anymore they would provide you with what you needed to get them produced elsewhere.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2019, 07:50 pm »
You would think if they chose not to produce them anymore they would provide you with what you needed to get them produced elsewhere.

They didn't chose not to produce them. They can't. They have sent samples of their latest efforts and they just didn't cut it.

And they can no longer source the fabric material that they used for the surround.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2019, 08:37 pm »
Sounds like no amount of what if or wishful thinking is going to get more LGK drivers. Here’s hoping your efforts pay off.

How many LGK drivers do you have left?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2019, 08:40 pm »
Sounds like no amount of what if or wishful thinking is going to get more LGK drivers. Here’s hoping your efforts pay off.

How many LGK drivers do you have left?

Not many left.

But I will get some more drivers made at some point.

cody69

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2019, 11:54 pm »
Really sorry to hear this news... really love those LGKs!
Good luck finding an alternative for 'em!

rockdrummer

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2019, 12:04 am »
Looking forward to seeing what happens with this. I do feel for you Danny. I haven't been able to get my replacement for the super v I sold. Hoping I can get the wedgies in the future, or an equivalent.

Good luck, Danny.
Ben

RonP

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:22 pm »
Any word on the LGKs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2020, 12:11 am »
Any word on the LGKs?

No good news yet.