Kismet Ref. Speakers

Randy

Kismet Ref. Speakers
« on: 5 Jan 2023, 10:45 pm »
Still looking at these but the website lacks a few details.  Anybody know the dimensions, the frequency response, available finishes?

Are these the type of monitors that bottom out at 60Hz or do they go down near the 40 Hz pt.?  Are they over-revealing or too bright?

I tried some Wharfedale Lintons. What a disappointment, dark, wooly sound, almost muddy, and I have good sources and amplification. On the other hand, I have some speakers that are the opposite, pure clean sound, but you hear all the warts in bad recordings and choral music is unlistenable.  Assuming the Kismets are in a different ballpark.

Any help?

JMW73

Re: Kismet Ref. Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2023, 12:52 am »
As with most answers on here... call Klaus!!  HaHa!  But really, he'll be happy to answer your questions and will likely ask you some.  His number is on his site.

GeneS

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2023, 01:23 am »
I have the Kismet Reference monitors. I actually have ones that Klaus used to demo his stuff at a few of the audio shows, and before he started showcasing his Liquids. The dimensions are on the Odyssey web site. They have the beryllium tweeter with the Scanspeak driver. They are ported in the rear. Over half the height of the speaker is actually the stand, and these things weigh a ton.
Frequency wise, they go low enough for me. I listen to a lot of rock, female vocalists. Placement is important, and Klaus has some excellent set up advice. When I saw these at the shows, I looked for a sub but there wasn’t one. These go plenty low for a kick drum, 5 string bass guitar and most keyboard stuff.
I traded up to these from the Lorelei’s and it was a definite move up.
Hope that helps.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2023, 04:16 pm »
I have the Kismet Reference monitors. I actually have ones that Klaus used to demo his stuff at a few of the audio shows, and before he started showcasing his Liquids. The dimensions are on the Odyssey web site. They have the beryllium tweeter with the Scanspeak driver. They are ported in the rear. Over half the height of the speaker is actually the stand, and these things weigh a ton.
Frequency wise, they go low enough for me. I listen to a lot of rock, female vocalists. Placement is important, and Klaus has some excellent set up advice. When I saw these at the shows, I looked for a sub but there wasn’t one. These go plenty low for a kick drum, 5 string bass guitar and most keyboard stuff.
I traded up to these from the Lorelei’s and it was a definite move up.
Hope that helps.

Not too bright of overly revealing?    I looked at the website and didn't see dimensions or freq. response. Will look again.   I probably wouldn't get the stands as I have some already that ought to work.   Thanks for the reply.

I see the stands are 10 x 16 so assume the speakers are the same? . 65 lbs.  Those are some big and heavy stand mounts.  They don't look nearly that large in the photo.

GeneS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2023, 09:07 pm »
My apologies.
I got lazy on my last reply to you. I have since broken out a tape measure and report the following:
The height of these is about 41 1/2”
The width of the front is about 9 1/4”
The width of the rear is about 14 1/4”, so yes, the speaker cabinet gets wider from front to back. May have something to do with the advantages of non- parallel walls?
The tweeter center is about 36 3/4” up from the bottom of the speaker.
The midrange driver center is about 31” from the bottom of the speaker.
The center of the rear port is about 4” down from the top. The WBT binding posts are about 9” up from the bottom.
I can only guess that the actual “speaker” (or monitor) part of this tower is, maybe, about the top 14”-15”. This particular speaker does not look like any of the ones on the web site. These look like tower speakers. There would be no way to “not” use these stands. They are an integral part of these speakers.

I first heard these at AXPONA, I believe. I heard them again at Capital Audio Fest. What I heard was fantastic sound on a variety of music (I had brought my own to Cap Audio). What I told myself was that these components were capable of delivering this sound. If I got them home and the bass was anemic, or the highs overly bright, it wasn’t the speakers. It was my room, setup, some other environmental factor. Klaus recommends getting them off the rear walls and giving them space. He is also an advocate for nearfield listening, thus eliminating many issues with the room. Placement matters. Slight toe in, maybe 10-12 degrees is working for me. Oh, and get them off the floor. A huge difference was made by putting them on speaker platforms and decoupling them with brass footers.
I’ll attempt a picture, which may help make sense of my drivel above. Please let me know if you have any questions.

tparm

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2023, 05:04 pm »
My apologies.
I got lazy on my last reply to you. I have since broken out a tape measure and report the following:
The width of the rear is about 14 1/4”, so yes, the speaker cabinet gets wider from front to back. May have something to do with the advantages of non- parallel walls?
The center of the rear port is about 4” down from the top. The WBT binding posts are about 9” up from the bottom.
I can only guess that the actual “speaker” (or monitor) part of this tower is, maybe, about the top 14”-15”. This particular speaker does not look like any of the ones on the web site. These look like tower speakers. There would be no way to “not” use these stands. They are an integral part of these speakers.

I first heard these at AXPONA, I believe. I heard them again at Capital Audio Fest. What I heard was fantastic sound on a variety of music (I had brought my own to Cap Audio). What I told myself was that these components were capable of delivering this sound. If I got them home and the bass was anemic, or the highs overly bright, it wasn’t the speakers. It was my room, setup, some other environmental factor. Klaus recommends getting them off the rear walls and giving them space. He is also an advocate for nearfield listening, thus eliminating many issues with the room. Placement matters. Slight toe in, maybe 10-12 degrees is working for me. Oh, and get them off the floor. A huge difference was made by putting them on speaker platforms and decoupling them with brass footers.
I’ll attempt a picture, which may help make sense of my drivel above. Please let me know if you have any questions.

17” deep right? Awaiting my Liguids (about two weeks out) and just ordered plinths (maple platforms). Just want to make sure the ones I ordered are deep enough. Thanks

GeneS

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2023, 05:40 pm »
Actually, mine are about 14” deep.
My platforms are about 20” deep X 14 1/2” wide.
That picture I took is not great from a perspective standpoint. The speaker is not tipped back like it looks and the platform is not as big as it looks in the pic.
I love the Liquids. Every time I hear them, I love them all over again. Someone bought the demo pair at Cap Audio, or I would have been all over them (assuming they would have fit in the car!😆)
You have every right to be excited!

Lemmy is god

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2023, 11:37 pm »
Did you,allow 300 hrs for break,in of the driver/tweeter?

My,speakers took a good 350 hrs before they totally opened up and every time I press play or needle,drop, the goosebumps hit arms, head, neck. Love it.

Bought for,a goof garage pair, the BIC venturi dv64 towers. Shocked, after several hundred hours, the tweeter was so airy, and the soundstage was massive! Keepers, only $199 pair. Great,for garage

tparm

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2023, 06:58 pm »
Actually, mine are about 14” deep.
My platforms are about 20” deep X 14 1/2” wide.
That picture I took is not great from a perspective standpoint. The speaker is not tipped back like it looks and the platform is not as big as it looks in the pic.
I love the Liquids. Every time I hear them, I love them all over again. Someone bought the demo pair at Cap Audio, or I would have been all over them (assuming they would have fit in the car!😆)
You have every right to be excited!

Thanks very much and yes I am excited! Inside the two week mark. I did the same monkey wood as ones this year at CAF, but my routed edges, sides and back will be glass black.

Baemer

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2023, 12:34 pm »
Hi @GeneS-
Thanks for the detail on the Kismet Floorstanders!  Yours look amazing, and I'm sure they sound the same.  It looks like my upcoming Kismets will share similar specs as I selected the 42" high cabinets.

Can you share the dimension of the depth of the speakers?  I am selecting some maple speaker plinths, and want to ensure they are big enough to support the speakers without edges hanging off the sides.  Thank you for your input!

B

My apologies.

GeneS

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2023, 04:12 pm »
The depth of my speakers  (front to back) is about 14 inches. The platforms that I have them on measure 20” deep x 14.6” wide. The are 3” thick. It gives me plenty of room and provides a nice, stable base for these speakers. They’re a bear to lift up if you’re also going to use footers!

Baemer

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2023, 12:36 pm »
Thank you very much, @GeneS!  Super helpful.  Will report back on my Kismets when I've got them in house.
Have a great one -
B