Help! $100 for diagnostic to fix dishwasher ??!!

werd

Re: Help! $100 for diagnostic to fix dishwasher ??!!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2016, 04:16 pm »
Dishwashers are light enough to move. Go back to where you bought it roll it out the back of the truck and leave it there. Drive off and then go buy a dishwasher from somewhere else.  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2016, 04:33 pm »
On a side note, I hate the new "driverless" washing machines that are all automatic.  No ability to set load size, the machine does it for you by weight and locks the lid so you can't add the dropped sock without knowing the secret password.

Adding missed laundry items is of course only a problem with front load washers that lock the door so that the water doesn't "fall" out!  But wait - Samsung has come to your rescue with the WF6200, WF6500 and WF7500 AddWash™ models that have an extra small door within the door to add those socks!

Makes you wonder why all front loaders didn't have that feature from inception, as it is an all too common laundry mishap.

Steve

werd

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2016, 05:13 pm »
I will never buy another front end loader so as long I live. They leak and the door boots need to be changed out at $100s each every 2 or 3 years.

randytsuch

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2016, 05:31 pm »
My rant
I remember when appliances were built to last, dishwashers, fridges, washing machines would last 10+ years no problem.
Maybe the ice maker would stop working, but everything else was fine.

Just had to replace a fridge that was maybe 6 years old, decided it was not worth repairing.

Randy

srb

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2016, 05:33 pm »
I will never buy another front end loader so as long I live. They leak and the door boots need to be changed out at $100s each every 2 or 3 years.

I guess I got a good one.  6+ years on my LG and it's never leaked a drop and the door gaskets look, feel and work like new.

Steve

fwinston

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2016, 05:40 pm »
I have a 14 year old Whirlpool Duet front loader.  It's never leaked a drop, has the original door seal, and has never required service.

Don_S

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2016, 06:14 pm »
Adding missed laundry items is of course only a problem with front load washers that lock the door so that the water doesn't "fall" out!  But wait - Samsung has come to your rescue with the WF6200, WF6500 and WF7500 AddWash™ models that have an extra small door within the door to add those socks!

Makes you wonder why all front loaders didn't have that feature from inception, as it is an all too common laundry mishap.

Steve

Steve,  When was the last time you shopped for top-load washing machines?  All the models I saw when my sister and I bought one for our mother had lids that locked.  Some new energy efficient thing.  They are designed to minimize water usage and only use HE detergent. Maybe there are still older-style top-loaders without locking lids but nothing we saw in the price range we shopped in.

My mother will be 93 on Thursday and did not need anything high capacity.  We did find one with a mini agitator that only sticks up a little ways from the bottom.  That was great for my mother because blankets and bed sheets used to get wrapped around the agitator and she had difficulty taking them out. That was a big selling point for that washer.

srb

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2016, 06:33 pm »
Steve,  When was the last time you shopped for top-load washing machines?

~ 25 years ago !  :oops:   I was not aware that modern top loaders had locking mechanisms as well.  Well, I suppose at least with a top loader I might be able to cut my own AddWash™ door in the top ..... after the warranty expired!

My LG has been perfect so far, but I would be lying if I said I didn't mutter an occasional prayer to the Electronic Gods to please protect my mainboard, CPU and control board in this age of digital appliances!  On the other hand I'm amazed that the mechanical timer/cycle switches of yesteryear lasted as long as they did.

BTW, have you seen the Samsung Family Hub™ refrigerators?   ;)

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:29 pm »
[quote
BTW, have you seen the Samsung Family Hub™ refrigerators?   ;) Steve [/quote]

No, I had not seen those.  Next they will connect them to the internet and they will automatically order groceries for you.  :o  How do they take pictures of what is on the rear of the shelves? 

randytsuch

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:54 pm »
[quote

No, I had not seen those.  Next they will connect them to the internet and they will automatically order groceries for you.  :o  How do they take pictures of what is on the rear of the shelves?

Glass shelves  :lol:

BTW, my SIL was looking for a fridge, asked the repair guy, and he said the samsungs break alot.  Think they have too much tech in them.

srb

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:59 pm »

"There's an app for that"!  ;)

It's already connected to the Internet so you're looking at still photos from 3 cameras on your smartphone current as of the last time the door closed (wouldn't make much sense to have live video).

There's a whole gaggle of apps including a calendar the family syncs to, remote setting fridge/freezer temps, music streaming services (Pandora and TuneIn but I don't see Spotify or Tidal!), mirroring of your smart TV and Groceries by Mastercard, which lets you order groceries from FreshDirect and ShopRite.

However, I'm going to assume that the built-in speakers, amp and DAC will be a disappointment to most audio geeks!

"Please do not disconnect power from your Family Hub refrigerator while firmware is updating" or you'll be the proud owner of one really really expensive brick!

Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2016, 08:22 pm »

Steve

My Bosch washer (bought at least 10 years ago) lets you open the door and add stuff.   

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2016, 08:24 pm »
I have a 14 year old Whirlpool Duet front loader.  It's never leaked a drop, has the original door seal, and has never required service.

I have a Bosch washer (10+ years ols) that hasn't leaked, but has needed the main ring replaced (due to our own fault).  However, if you use the "wrong" laundry detergent, it will smell. 

ctviggen

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2016, 08:35 pm »
I have a 10 year old Maytag that cleans the heck out of dishes. We no longer waste time cleaning dishes before putting them in there other than to get the excess food off. My dad was watching me load dishes the other day and asked, "aren't you going to clean those first?"

If this one dies however, I'm getting a Bosch. My daughter recently bought one and man is that thing quiet.
Also, I purchased a new Maytag washing machine two years ago. What a piece of crap. Thank Maytag execs for ruining a great brand with $hitty parts. No more Maytag for me.

If you ever watch them install a Bosch, you'll see why they're so quiet:  they use a ton of heavy duty insulation.   I've had Bosch dishwashers for the last several decades.  I'm on m third, one for each house.  I bought all three.  I do have one problem with the one we have now (3 years old):  a plastic piece between the front of the door and the handle broke.   I have the pieces to replace it, but it looks like a few hours (for someone with no manual and no idea how everything is put together) to replace.  Will try this weekend.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jun 2016, 10:04 pm »
I had a Bosch dishwasher for 10 years and it was great. One thing people never mention thou is they are a lot smaller inside because of all that insulation to make them so quiet. The service guy who came out to look at it said the Bosch dishwashers always last just 10 years and then die.

We replaced it with really nice LG that is even quieter but is very roomy inside. If you read reviews on it a fair amount of people don't like the racks because they stand pretty straight up and down and their dishes fall over. We don't have this problem and love the small top rack that holds all of our big cooking utensils.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2016, 02:45 am »
I had an LG dishwasher which was whisper quiet but I had to replace the electronic board twice.  The third time it broke I bought a Kitchen Aide that was supposed to be as quiet but isn't.  The board went out after 3 years and then this year it broke again.  But I looked online and found out that many times it is the fuse that blows in the control board.  I bought a new fuse and much to my surprise the problem was solved.  That is probably what happened the first time but the repairman makes more money selling me and installing the board.

A few years ago my appliance repairman said that today's appliances are built to last 7 to 10 years.  So my 10 year old Maytag washing machine just died and I went out an bought a commercial grade Speed Queen with no frills and no electronic boards or controls.  All metal gears and built to last 20 to 25 years.  It cost $850 so I hope it lasts.  I thought about going cheap and buying one on sale for about $450 figuring I can just buy another in 7 or so years.  Time will tell if I made the right decision.

Thirsty

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:27 am »
My 25 year old Whirlpool dishwasher is still going strong (knock on wood), but I'm not so happy with the Whirlpool top loader HE clothes washer, I had to fix it three times within the first year.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:34 am »
I know this is about dishwashers but many have commented on their washer and dryers. 23 years ago we bought a Maytag washer and dryer, I don't think front loaders were really around yet. Just two months ago I had a tech. over to work on our also 23 year old Sub Zero frig. which was getting really noisy and our dryer that wasn't heating anymore. He knew exactly what was wrong with both but didn't have the 2 coils he needed for the dryer. He called his shop, showed me the door in front that gets you to those coils and showed me how to replace them. I went down, spent $24.00 and that was it. They are the best washer and dryer I have ever owned, they clean the clothes well and that is the first problem we have had with either one of them.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:35 pm »
The problem with Maytag these days is that they are not owned by Maytag anymore.  Whirlpool bought them in 2006. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:49 pm »
The problem with Maytag these days is that they are not owned by Maytag anymore.  Whirlpool bought them in 2006.

Yes, and I bet they don't last as long anymore either. There are only a few American manufacturers of appliances these days so you get what you get with them or buy something built somewhere else.