Thoughts on Upgrade - LRS to .7 or 1.7i

Saturn94

Re: Thoughts on Upgrade - LRS to .7 or 1.7i
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2020, 03:08 pm »
The imaging to me is less important than the sound stage. 

As I said to achieve correct imaging I have to move the LRS in and away from their stowed position (see picture for stowed)  But to this comment that is only about 1/3rd of the time I listen.  The 2/3rd's most of the time, heck that number may be higher, is me sitting on the couch typing replies, to stereo forums ;)  , surfing the computer, chilling.  When I really critical listen its when the wife is busy elsewhere and no one is home.  This is that Sat/Sun afternoon with a glass of brown liquid and my dog joining me on the couch. 

I do turn the music on quite often just to fill the room. 
I run a JL E110 sub with my LRS  FYI

Also to clarify, the LRS sound excellent, even in the stowed position. 

The picture below hopefully clears up the reason for the doors :)  This was last night, And FWIW we streamed the Man in Black as we sat with friends around the fire.  Imaging was the least thing in my mind, LOL

Beautiful view!  I wouldn’t want to cover it up either.

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2020, 04:30 pm »
I would not do that upgrade. If I was going Magnepan, the LRS is what I would buy. Then I would add a pair of the awesome Rhythmik Fn-8 subs. They go up to 200 hz crossover. I would add a digital behringer crossover and cross the Maggy's at 200hz to start. I would also raise the speakers much higher, at least a foot, but more like 2' from what you have. 

This way you get the height of a Maggy 3.6, with most likely better imaging due to the narrower LRS panel. Then you would have world class, tight, bass that will match the LRS. That combo could well be a destination speaker for most people. By relieving the LRS of the bass they would be able to play loud without compression and would also open up quite a bit sound wise. This is killer advice. You can thank me later.

Rocket Ronny

RR,
Suggestion on the cross over.  If I only have 1 pair of Maggies and 1-2 sub woofers what do you suggest?

My thoughts, future related, are a set of sub's possibly DIY that are powered by my 2nd TFM-45 that pass thru the C-11 preamp.  I have the E110 JL now, but would love a new sub that I am better able to place,  and hide under the coffee table or couch.

Paul

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2020, 05:39 pm »
For your size room, the 1.7i's are more appropriate.  You will get a huge sound stage.  I own the 1.6's  and the original MMG's about the same size as the LRS's and there is no comparison in the size of the sound stage. 

I use dual Martin Logan original dynamo subs because they are small (WAF).  They are fast, musical and integrate seamlessly with the Maggies.  And they just disappear.  Take a look at the new Dynamo 800 and 1100.  They are small and you can place them anywhere with a wireless module.  My original dynamo's sound better  than many more expensive subs at the time.  However, if you want earth shattering bass then you will need larger subs.