Comparing MMG to LRS

Merckx1

Comparing MMG to LRS
« on: 30 Jul 2020, 06:48 pm »
Hello!
Any resources for direct comparison of these two speakers? I’m considering the upgrade but I’d love to read some qualitative comparisons first. Thanks in advance!

Craig B

Re: Comparing MMG to LRS
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:17 pm »
Doesn't the LRS come with return privileges for auditioning?

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2020, 02:02 am »
Well I know the LRS is not sold at dealers, and I don't believe the MMG is either. Well except for Audio Consultant's in Chicago and they are now defunct, not sure how the current Magnepan dealer in Chicago. Quintessence Audio does things.

So good luck with a side by side, however I was truly impressed by the LRS. Not by a small margin either, have you read Herb Reichart's and Johnathan Valin's reviews? Anyway I don't believe you will be disappointed, I thought their soundstage beat my 3.6's in my acoustic treated main listening room. However they are still small Maggies, so you have except limitations of volume and deep bass.

I think it competes with one of the best speakers of all time the original Quad 57, which was also at AXPONA last year. Besides do you really think all the buzz about a small $650 speaker is just fake news, it's not you can tell just from the post's and comment's all over the internet.

It is a Significant Upgrade, period.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2020, 03:59 am »
Magnepan gives you a 30 day trial. Call and ask them. Then just try them and let us know.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2020, 01:25 pm »
I started out with MMG's when they first came out. I've had MG12's and IIIA's since but I've downsized to the LRS and couldn't be happier. The LRS is a much more refined speaker than the MMG in every way. The MMG's were bright  and harsh at times while the LRS are smooth and even across the frequency range. Their midrange is wonderful. I can listen to the LRS for hours without any fatigue. I couldn't say the same for the MMG's. Considering they're in the same price range, the LRS are a no brainer.

Steve

DancingSea

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:51 am »
Magnepan is giving a 60 day home trial on the LRS.  I ordered a pair 3 weeks ago and they said they’d ship some time in October, hopefully.

Merckx1

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:16 am »
I just ordered my LRS's. 15 weeks until they get here! I will definitely A/B with the MMG's for awhile. Can't wait!

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:27 am »
I just ordered my LRS's. 15 weeks until they get here! I will definitely A/B with the MMG's for awhile. Can't wait!

Sweet!  :thumb:

oldchemist

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2020, 02:59 pm »
Good morning! Excellent thread...

tomoy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2021, 05:35 am »
I had MMG's in a previous system, different house.  Once paired well and set up well, they were great. Smooth, integrated, fast, rich as in a slight mid bass hump, and rolled off on the high end, making them listenable for long stints, and forgiving of bad recordings.

I just pieced together a new system with similar amplification. Took 20 weeks to ship!  Barely broken in.  Still setting up.  With the 1-Ohm resistor, they're really similar to the MMG's - as in deja-vu memory.  With a good wire jumper, the LRS's gain a little sparkle in the high end that the MMG's couldn't do, and seem to have a little more detailed an edge.  At first they were void of bass, but that's broken in and they punch pretty well. I think they hold their detail at lower levels a little better than the MMG's did.

Variables though - different setup, different house, 2 years since I gave my brother the MMG's, aging brain, LRS's still have some more breaking in to do. Hope you get yours soon!