Hello! I'm new around here. An old guy, but AudioNewbie

Sansui_76

Hello! I'm a member on other sites, but new to posting. So please bear with my Newbie-ness. Mostly before I've just tried to learn all I can by reading others comments. But recently I was given the go ahead to spend real money (say, about 1k)on a present for myself... This has never happened before!!! (...and might not ever again). So I'm openly looking for help. My main system now is: B&W Matrix1 standmounts, Velodyne ULD 15 sub,Nakamichi CA-5 pre. Adcom gfa555 & gfa535. Nak.OMS-5AII CD player. Cambridge Audio NP30 Network player...a recently acquired Cambridge Audio 752bd. I am hoping to find a 1-3 year old external dac...or dac/digital music player that would be an upgrade to the NP30. I'm reasonably happy with existing sound, but always greedy for better. Any suggestions?? :o
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2018, 05:57 am by Sansui_76 »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello! I'm new around here. An old guy, but AudioNewbie
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2018, 12:28 am »
Welcome aboard Sansui :thumb:
You could check the Trading Circle for the current offers:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=102.0

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2018, 01:09 pm »
In that price range, I would look seriously at IFI Audio DAC's, used or new. It would be around $500 or less and will compete with the $1000 dacs easily. Then you have $500 more to treat yourself to something else. :D

Music Direct sells these new and you have 60 day return policy if you don't like it.

Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2018, 01:40 pm »
Welcome.

In the fast changing world of DACs I'd avoid older models as being completely obsolete and not cost competitive.  Don't bother with anything 10 years old., besides caps age could soon need replacing. 

It also depends on the quality of your library.  New DACs can reveal the warts on older CDs.  I home auditioned a $1300 Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit (balanced design) a year ago and it made 10% (the very best audiophile recordings) of my collection sound better but 30% (music I love mostly from the 70's/80's but poorly recorded) sound worse.  Sent it back, as I want my system to serve my library.

NOS (Non-OverSampling) DACs are very smooth, to the point of putting one asleep IMO (limited dynamics/detail).  Do you have interest in higher resolution formats (they get a lot of press but sources are limited/expensive)?  Had a $500 Emotiva DC-1 balanced DAC/preamp/headphone amp, the opposite of NOS sound, but rough around the edges.  Then moved to a $900 DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core, another small balanced piece (DAC/preamp/bass DSP) that sounds better (compared to the Gungnir MB) but has an really cheap remote that I'm still using two years later.  I like the Schiit approach of upgradability and no nonsense design.  The Schiit BiFrost MB (single ended) is only $599.

iFi has a following around these parts, but no remote, too tiny for me (dip switches), not balanced design, limited flexibility, and based on a stop here on a tour of the iTube2 - color me quite unimpressed sonically.

Check out audiogon.com.  Pre-owned DSPeakers are available for $500.  Benchmark DACs are solid.  Saw some Hegel, Bryston, and Mytek DACs there for under a grand.  Also saw an Auralec Vega for $1500 (over your budget but a wonderful piece). 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2018, 03:13 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Sansui_76   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2018, 03:23 pm »
Welcome!

Sansui_76

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2018, 03:30 pm »
Very good suggestions in deed. I've been checking all of these out and have seen several that may work. :D