help: bare wire connection

sjvilla79

« on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:34 am »
what’s the best way to solder the bare wire ends on speaker cable? specifically, i’m wanting to secure a bare wire connection by putting solder on the ends to, among other things, improve longevity of the connection. yes, i’m plugging these connections into the spring loaded inputs on the backs of my speakers. do i heat the solder or the cable’s bare wire? any advice appreciated.

skchow

« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:24 am »
I think what you're looking to do is called "tinning" the speaker cable.   To do this, you would heat the the speaker cable, and apply solder to the cable itself and not onto the soldering iron.  This should be pretty easy to do if the soldering iron tip is properly cleaned and has a thin layer of solder over it to help heat transfer PRIOR to heating the speaker cable.

I guess since you're going to stick it in a spring loaded input, it'll be okay, but otherwise (say you wanted to use these with binding posts) I would suggest you not to tin the end of the speaker cable.  Even though the layer of solder helps prevent against corrosion, it makes the ends of the speaker cables very STIFF and this makes using the speaker cables a pain in the butt.  I've done this before, and in retrospect, I think I would have preferred to leave it bare or go to Radio shack and get some cheap spades.  Hope this helps...

Sunny.

sjvilla79

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:44 am »
skchow, thanks for the comments. it's something for me to think about.

I think I would have preferred to leave it bare or go to Radio shack and get some cheap spades.

now, forgive me for sounding stupid, but how could i use spades to connect my speaker cable to a spring loaded input? again, my apologies for asking this.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:54 am »
Yeah, you can't quite use spades on a spring post.

But you can use these...

Just crimp 'em on and you're set. :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:57 am »
Monster Cable (and probably some other companies) make a braided flexi-pin that would work well for your application.  I'm not crazy about the solid pins, but they work okay.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:07 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Monster Cable (and probably some other companies) make a braided flexi-pin that would work well for your application.

Yeah, kinda like these

sjvilla79

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:08 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Monster Cable (and probably some other companies) make a braided flexi-pin.

do you have any links? can't seem to find anything.

Quote from: bubba
But you can use these...

i can't find them here in australia (angled gold pins). i've been to a few places and they don't stock 'em. arghh....

- edit -

okay, i see what you mean. now all i need to do is find a stockist in australia.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:13 am »
Quote from: sjvilla79
i can't find them here in australia (angled gold pins). i've been to a few places and they don't stock 'em. arghh....

Have you tried checking someplace like eBay? or maybe http://www.percyaudio.com?

Hell, if you relly want 'em bad I could pick them up and send 'em to you if you can't get them elsewhere. I just sent JohnR a bunch of DVD's. So another package to Australia wouldn't be so bad...

sjvilla79

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:24 am »
Quote from: bubba966

Have you tried checking someplace like eBay? or maybe http://www.percyaudio.com?

found the aussie link for MC --> http://www.e-hifi.com.au/home.html i'm going to rummage through this list of about 20 stores and see what i can come up with.

Hell, if you relly want 'em bad I could pick them up and send 'em to you if you can't get them elsewhere. I just sent JohnR a bunch of DVD's. So another package to Australia wouldn't be so bad...

that would be great. thanks for the kind gesture. i'll see how i go with local stockists and send you a PM if i don't have any luck. thanks again mate.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2004, 07:36 am »
Just checked Percy Audio. They've got both Vampire & Cardas pin connectors for $1US each. If you can't find anything locally, give Percy Audio a try (unless you don't want Cardas or Vampire connectors).

DIYCable.com also has the Cardas pins. They have a circle here if you need to ask questions about them or shipping to Australia.

sjvilla79

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2004, 08:00 am »
all good mate. i'll be in touch. thanks again for your help.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2004, 08:05 am »
Glad to help. After all, that's what we're here for, right?

skchow

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2004, 08:20 am »
Sorry about the confusion, when I said Spades, I meant it for binding posts.

Sunny.