WTA mat and keeping vinyl clean.

rayh23a

Re: WTA mat and keeping vinyl clean.
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2011, 11:33 am »
I have a Herbie's Audio Lab Well Excellent II 3 mm mat for sell . One minute used. It suck the life out from my Amadus. It might work in a bright system. It is going back to Herbie's , good thing they have a 90 days return policy. :thumb:

MRC

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2011, 01:30 pm »
It's very difficult to change variables with the Amadeus because it really works as a complete system. I'm glad you can return it without loss!
I took a plunge and bought the Furutech Destat II. Reading about it, it had really excellent 0 static measurements and it was designed to take over the Orb, so I did it again... on sandwiches diet for this month and next!
It has been left on charge and I'll test it soon. I don't know if it is the answer, but it sure is exciting. Remember, the humble Zerostat really did improve sound on vinyl, so...
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2011, 10:40 am by MRC »

MRC

« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:08 pm »
Well, I can report that, on first trial, the Destat II did not release the WTA mat from a record... and I gave it something like 30 seconds. Most disappointing. It's great for sound, but... This has led me to consider again if sliding the mat to hold it at the edge with a clean cotton pad would soil the record. It's a fact that the mat's label area, which we touch with our fingers, will make contact with the record's groove area. But then again, it does that EVERY TIME we slide a record in and out of its sleeve. But this is another topic. I'll try the Destat II again, this time holding it closer to the record. Who knows? I'll report back. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:50 pm »
Finally broke down and ordered the Auditorium mat. Will report back on impact on static and sound...

MRC

« Reply #24 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:12 am »
Here goes: at close range, the Destsat II DID uncling the mat from a record, improved sound in all areas, including bass extension and articulation, and when it doesn't uncling, it lowers statistical results from 4 in 5 lps clinging to 2 in 5 lps clinging (zapping mat for ten seconds, ten seconds side you're not listening to, and ten seconds side to be played. I like it better than brushing the record). Whew. The thing is, found a method which unclings lps every time so far:
Let motor and platter spinning after listening. Hold Lp edges at two opposite points gently but firmly, any pressure applied horizontally, and feel the mat and platter rotate under the record. Gently remove record while this happens. Mat stays put. 

rayh23a

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2011, 01:10 pm »
The Auditorium mat came , still the OE mat sound better.

threadkiller

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2011, 03:12 pm »
Did you adjust the vta to accommodate the thinner Auditorium mat?

rayh23a

« Reply #27 on: 6 Dec 2011, 01:42 am »
Yes i did adjust vta. I get a wider sound stage and more attack on highs with the oe mat.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2011, 06:50 pm »
I do not own a WTA but on my WTC I use a 3mm Funk Firm Achromat non sticky platter mat

threadkiller

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2011, 07:07 pm »
We tried that on the Amadeus... No good.  Maybe on the Classic, but doubtful... Wasnt designed to have anything on... And please use the clear acrylic platter as furnished.  Do not use that black damped piece of #### from Transparent. 
Lol.  Didn't mean to sound like a crab...:)

code4246

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:20 am »
amen on the black crap !
well tempereds are like linns, unmodified originals are best.

ADiG

« Reply #31 on: 3 Oct 2018, 07:02 pm »
guys, I changed the amplifier, I no longer have electrostatic discharges and the original foam mat from WTL Amadeus  GTA, not to attack the disk anymore! I switched from the McIntosh MA7000 to the Accuphase E-470 with the Phono AD-50 card. Wonderful. regards