TX102 wiring tips

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
TX102 wiring tips
« on: 18 Jun 2004, 10:59 pm »
Hello!

Just updated the word doc fopr kit assembly to include this but thought I'd post it here in case some folks don't spot it there. I put a few tips to do with tinning and also to do with getting a good connection at the switch.

----------

Pasted from the kit assembly word doc:

A note about the wire.....

With the kits we now supply continuous cast copper wire that has been cryogenically frozen . This very good quality wire is from Chimera Labs and is used to make their interconnects.

This wire has an enamel coating on it. The ends of the wire will need to be tinned before you use each wire section. First cut the wire to the length you will need. To tin the wire hold a hot soldering iron to the end of the wire and apply a bit of solder. Hold this until you see the enamel coating on the wire start to bubble a bit. Now drag the iron along the wire and apply a bit more solder to the iron/wire. The wire should accept the solder. Only tin the length you will need for the connection you are making. Typically this will be about 3/16”. Cut some 2” lengths of wire to practice on before tinning the leads for use in the wiring. Unless specified in the instructions tin the end you are connecting first then once one end of the wire is installed and soldered cut the wire to fit and tin the other end.

NOTE:  Be sure to use a metal plate or something similar under the wire so if the solder drops off the tip of your iron (which it will!) it will not damage anything it may fall on - like your table top!  A cheap baking sheet is good for this but don’t cook on it later! Also it is nice to have a fan to ventilate the area. Once of those small (and typically useless) room air cleaners with a carbon filter and a small fan built in placed right near where the end of the wires are being tinned works great to keep the smell and fumes down.

An alternate way to tin the wire is to use a desoldering tool. Just tin the end of the tool and then slowly insert the end of the wire you’d like to tin you want to tin into the hole in the iron tip. Push the wire in far enough to tin the length you need tinned. This is a very nice method and cuts down on smoke so please use it if you have access to a desoldering iron or even a desoldering iron tip in a regular soldering iron.
---------------

Please post any questions to do with wiring in here.

Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

-------------

And also from the word doc this tip on switch connections.

TIP! - Wiring the level control switch if very finicky and time consuming. Even after wiring lots of them it still takes me at least 2 hours to wire the 2 decks. One want to make this job easier is to locate a small allen key (about 1/16" size) and coil the wire around it and then slide it off. This little coil can be then slid onto the post of the shallco switch and pushed on with a small flat screwdriver end. This makes a really good connection with lots of surface area.

andrew

TX102 wiring tips
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2004, 01:19 pm »
I've just been wiring up my 102's. Sadly I don't have a desoldering tool. I found that coiling the wire around a allen was a great tip - so was using a fan to keep to smoke out of my face.

Once the wire was cut to length and coiled I then got some solder and tinned the newly coiled wire. This left a big blob of solder on the end of the wire which I then removed with a solder sucker. Worked really well, be warned tho' it uses lots of solder.

cheers,