PS3: Which one to buy?

JDUBS

PS3: Which one to buy?
« on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:00 am »
Guys

Would love to get your recommendation here.  I'm going to buy a PS3 and am trying to decide which one is the one to get.  It doesn't seem like the hard drive that it comes with is a big deal as it can so easily be swapped out with a bigger one.

Any paricular setup better than the others?  I'd love to pick up that Metal Gear Solid package...but it seems kind of expensive (on eBay that is).

-Jim

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: PS3: Which one to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:25 am »
If you DON'T need to use the playstation 2 backwards compatibility don't get the metal gear solid bundle...
you can get the game cheaper used.

I think thats the only significant benefits there are
"Both the 80GB and 40GB PS3 models come standard with Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.), Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) player, built-in HDD, 1080p high-definition output, Wi-Fi connectivity and SIXAXIS™ wireless controller.

In addition to the larger HDD capacity, the 80GB model focuses on offering the incredible graphic quality, stunning gameplay, improved audio and visual fidelity that PS3 games are known for by maintaining the PlayStation®2 backwards compatibility through software instead of hardware. The 40GB model does not have PS2 backwards compatibility, although does maintain backwards compatibility for original PlayStation titles.  The 40GB PS3 has 2 USB ports, where the 80GB PS3 has 4 USB ports.   In addition, the 40GB PS3 does not have the multi-media memory card slots. Consumers can use a variety of after-market accessories for transferring their media to PS3 via the USB ports.  "

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2008, 02:42 am »
I have the 40GB version.  Bought it about 4 months ago.  Have 6 games.  Only use it for games.  I'm sure I'll eventually watch movies on it.

I have no need for the extra card inputs, etc.  I'm happy with mine.  Great graphics, etc.  Blueray, too.  I haven't played a Blueray movie through it, though.  It's hooked up via HDMI to a 4 year old 26" Philips LCD.

I probably would have sprung for the 80GB version, but when I bought it, it wasn't out.

p

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:06 am »
If you plan on using it as a media center, the usb ports on the front of the unit and the memory card readers come in handy for when friends bring photos/media over.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:50 am »
Thanks guys!  This is very helpful.  It'll likely get a hefty workout as a blu-ray and general media server, so maybe I should pop for the 80gig model given the extras it has.

Plus PS2 compatability is a nice bonus.

-Jim

Toka

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:38 am »
Dunno if SACD support is something that will interest you, but know that the newer models do not support it.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2008, 02:59 am »
The 80gb MGS4 USA ps3 package still has sacd capability.

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2008, 03:10 am »
Cool.  I pulled the trigger on the MGS4 package!

-Jim