Odyssey or sanders ?

Arcticdeth

Odyssey or sanders ?
« on: 19 Jul 2015, 05:46 pm »
Still looking at the sanders audio Magtech monos. Only problem is price is double that of a pair of kismet monos. I could have a pair of kismet and stratos mono extremes for same price.

Sanders does have a lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING, parts, labor, shipping etc etc.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS !!!!!!!

KLH007

Re: Odyssey or sanders ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2015, 08:31 pm »
The Magtech amps I've heard sound threadbare and thin, my Kismet monos have more meat on the bone and convey emotion better.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2015, 11:15 pm »
The Magtech amps I've heard sound threadbare and thin, my Kismet monos have more meat on the bone and convey emotion better.

thank you, will continue to research.

need to hear a sanders amp for personal eval.

KLH007

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2015, 11:29 pm »
One client bought a pair of Maggie 3.6s from me to replace his Quads. We tried his Magtech for 2 hours, then went back to his conrad-johnson tube unit, we both were relieved that the thin/bleached sound was not speaker related.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2015, 01:16 am »
One client bought a pair of Maggie 3.6s from me to replace his Quads. We tried his Magtech for 2 hours, then went back to his conrad-johnson tube unit, we both were relieved that the thin/bleached sound was not speaker related.

First I have heard this characterization of Sanders. Will have to look into this further.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:43 pm »
Both high current designe. Both roughly same price.

Sanders 500W 8ohm 900W 4ohm. Stable to 1 ohm.

Odyssey 200W 8 ohm 360?W 4 ohm stable to 1 ohm

Hmmmmmm. Ive had my heart set on kismet momos for quite some time.

I hate decisions. Im trying to email a guy couple towns over to audition his sanders amp. They are something special!!

Ive heard many thoughts on the sanders. Sterile sound etc. only initially. As like the odyssey amps , sanders r recommended on at all times.  Goddamnet i dislike making decisions.  30 day inhome trial. Shipping both ways picked up by sanders. No one ever returned a sanders amp to date.   Hmmmm nDAMNET!! 

Angaria

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:51 pm »
While I've enjoyed Odyssey amplifiers, I have to say that it is at least possible for the magtech amps to NOT sound bleached out, as they sounded great with his panels at AXPONA.  Not meaty per se, but definitely not bleached.  I'm typically a fan of tubes, so I'd say I am sensitive to such issues.

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:51 pm »
[quote author=Arcticdeth link=topic=136076.msg1446523#msg1446523 date=1437347714

thank you, will continue to research.

need to hear a sanders amp for personal eval.
[/quote]

Sanders:
30 Day In-Home Trial

" Our 30-day, in-home, risk-free trial works very simply and easily.  We will ship you any equipment that you wish.  You use it in your own home to listen to your familiar music, in your own listening room, with your own associated audio components for up to 30 days." That should give you the opportunity!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2015, 04:58 pm »
For a while I had both a Sanders Magtech and a pair of VTL MB250 Signature mono block tube amps with Magnepan speakers.  I'd go back and forth, using the tube amps when I wanted a bit more lush sound.  I sold the VTL's because of the heat and needed $ for other stuff, and am completely satisfied with the Magtech.  In my system there is no way the Magtech sounds threadbare and thin.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:59 pm »
I suppose it is possible to have both. This means selling my emotiva mono's.

Nice thing is if i wanted to go sanders monos with massive power. I heard he will give you full value of used stereo amp towards the monos.

Maybe ill buy kismet monos. Ans sanders stereo amp.  Save then use old sanders for monos upgrade. I love and hate this hobby

Must sell off most of my old gear if this will happen

Arcticdeth

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:06 pm »
For a while I had both a Sanders Magtech and a pair of VTL MB250 Signature mono block tube amps with Magnepan speakers.  I'd go back and forth, using the tube amps when I wanted a bit more lush sound.  I sold the VTL's because of the heat and needed $ for other stuff, and am completely satisfied with the Magtech.  In my system there is no way the Magtech sounds threadbare and thin.

Out of the box sound. Or week or so to fully charge for best sound. ?

Please describe sound. Definitely not thin? 

Ron D

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:40 pm »
Maybe I missed it or its probably covered in another thread but what are you matching up with your choices of amps - preamp, speakers, etc.?

How big is the room, how loud do you like to listen?

Maybe a little more info will allow responders to offer more informed opinions.....

Arcticdeth

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2015, 07:12 pm »
Energy RC-70's - cerwin vega modded D-9's
Onkyo p-308 - parasound p-5(soon) B&K pro10 mc
Pioneer elite dv ?? As cd player.
Ipod
Technics sl-1200mkii

advanced101

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2015, 07:35 pm »
These amps will power your Energys?

Arcticdeth

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:14 pm »
These amps will power your Energys?

YES, and it will be amazing.

There is a sound i like when playing speakers with this much zest. There is an airy quality i love. I always have overpowered amps. I like the sound. Much different than a 100w anything. There is just something about it, and i love it. Plus my cv d-9's will gobble it up.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:16 pm »
I like somewhat loud. But i also enjoy low volume as well around the house on weekends when home.

rooze

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2015, 08:56 pm »
Just buy the bloody Odyssey amps for cripe's sake. You know you want them, you've been stalking them for almost two years...they're GREAT amps.

Ron D

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2015, 09:17 pm »
Nothing wrong with your speakers & system but unless you are looking to upgrade them in the near future the Sanders stuff will be overkill (IMHO) and I think that any amp that Klaus builds with sufficient power for those Energys will mate nicely with your speakers.

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2015, 10:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with your speakers & system but unless you are looking to upgrade them in the near future the Sanders stuff will be overkill (IMHO)...

Yeah, either choice would be extreme overkill with your current system, unless you plan on upgrading everything and you're starting with the amps. Right now, the Odyssey or Sanders would be "too good" for the rest of your system.

Ron D

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm »
Stratos Stereo Extreme would do very nicely. For the price its a no brainer. Too bad you missed the pair of used monoblocks that were for sale a few weeks back - I thought they were a very good deal but thats water under the bridge this point...

I think the "SSE" would be a very nice marriage with your speakers