Poll

How many members are in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia Washington area?  Who's out there?

Yes, let's get together and share some love for Music, Equipment and Food!
22 (81.5%)
Yes, let's gather once in a while and show off our stuff!
5 (18.5%)
No, too much rain, I am NOT going out!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???
« Reply #320 on: 28 Jul 2017, 12:17 am »
I've heard rumors suggesting Aldcoll has barricaded himself in his home because he is listening to his CDs all over again.  8)

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #321 on: 28 Jul 2017, 12:21 am »
And anybody within 100 yards.   It's been a while since I have pushed the Modwright :flake:

Alan

JakeJ

« Reply #322 on: 28 Jul 2017, 01:03 am »
Your first post and it's written more like an advertisement (WRONG THREAD, dude!). Read the rules before posting.

[I toned my retort down, Jake. Thanks for letting us know.]

Thanks, Mike.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #323 on: 28 Jul 2017, 02:16 am »
And anybody within 100 yards.   It's been a while since I have pushed the Modwright :flake:

Alan

Oh Ya Alan! it's been, let's see, 6 days now:lol:

Regarding Epic, I don't know what a Washington group means? Anyone is welcome as far as I'm concerned, but I would like people "if they are coming to my place anyway" to have a history here at AC.

After last Saturday, I have come to the conclusion that 10 people is pretty much the limit for attendees at my place. I had an amazing time, and I mean that in the truest sense. What a great bunch of people audiophiles are. So trustworthy and giving of their time and resources.

No worries Michael on your assessment of the dacs that were at play. I pretty much agree with you but I really did like both of the dacs that Jakej and Roy brought but still thought the Lampi was king in the end. So much clarity, kind of like your Don Sach pre I was lucky enough to here at the last G2G.

Laura, I will take you up on your offer but I can most likely only get my cousin and maybe his son to come over for music. The food will probably only make it easier but it would still just be them. Very kind of you to invite and it's much appreciated.

O.K., I think that's it for now. I feel really bad that Michael doesn't really like his speakers, I think he'll get used to them :lol:.     

wisnon

« Reply #324 on: 2 Aug 2017, 05:24 pm »

Here is the list of DACs that were present for the day's G2G: Metrum Octave, Metrum Pavane, Denafrips Venus, MP-D2 (2 units with different tubes and caps!), Lampizator Atlantic w/preamp function added. I think that's all, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I forgot one. Throughout the day, we switched DACs in and out to compare this one to that one. And, yes, the Mac threw us some nasty curve balls just when we began getting over-confident. There were nine participants, so there was usually lively conversation, bodies moving in and out, and plenty of distractions. Aren't we audiophiles solitary creatures who just listen for hours at a time? :scratch: :icon_lol:

Important announcement: If I say something less than wonderful about your DAC that you don't like, please remember I'm stating my impression. I'm not attacking you personally. I'm not shit talking your favorite DAC. If you get upset, take a walk or drink a brew. Chill the f#*k out, dude. It's no different from my casually saying I prefer dome tweeters over ribbon tweeters. I'm simply offering my preference. Thank you.  :roll: End of announcement.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I was about to trash talk people's DACs, but ever-so-politely. The Metrum DACs and the Denafrips Venus DAC are R2R DACs. I'm still learning what the means sonically. This was the first time I had ever heard one - let alone three. I can't tell you yet how they sonically differ from 'regular' DACs. I spent more time listening to the Venus, JakeJ's MP-D2, and the Lampi Atlantic than the others. I didn't try to avoid any. It just happened that way. Here is the order in which I like these DACs (least to best):

Metrum Octave
MP-D2 with the oil caps (I think)
Metrum Pavane (didn't listen to it very long)
Venus/JakeJ's MP-D2 (differences, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other)
Lampi Atlantic with preamp upgrade

MCA told me all the upgrades to his Lampi, but I didn't write them down. Perhaps he can remind us here? This DAC stood out from the pack. It is a WOW!! DAC. I get why folks fall in love with this beast of a DAC. It's not cheap though. It's more than double what most of the other DACs cost. Sure, it has an excellent sounding preamp function, which is a big plus if you don't already have a preamp. Mike, do I recall correctly that this DAC costs ~$6500 new?

There was a lovely tube sound coming out of JakeJ's MP-D2 that just made me feel like I'd been sipping a really nice Scotch on a cool winter evening. I'm sure he can fill us in on his tube and caps selections. I can't help but wonder if my adding this to my D Sachs Model 2 tube preamp/D Sachs KT88 Kootenay 120 tube amp combo would create too much tube sound. I probably won't try it, but I might try it with a SS amp someday. Jake, how much would your DAC cost with all the upgrades that you chose? It's worth it in my opinion.

Peace.....enjoy your music!

Michael
The Lampi Atlantic plus (tube recti) I see there is Balanced with Volume Control. That is the most maxxed out configuration short of going to the Golden Atlantic (copper case and premium parts , price circa 8K). Basic Atlantic single ended with solid State recti is circa 4K. Balanced, tube recti and Vol Control drove the price up to 6.5K as you said.

Unless your system is balanced, you waste money adding that. If you already have a great preamp, you save there as well. I would ALWAYS go for the tube recti and superclock on the Amanero USB input.

Please note that the Atlantic has ZERO Dac chips! Its R2R discreet ladder for PCM conversion and "chipless" DSD. Its a hell of a Dac.The output tubes are directly heated PENTODES in triode mode.

One last point, what was the recti used? There are expensive new production and vintage ones like Takatsuki 274b and WE vintage 274b. People also like the Lampi Kron 5u4g. However, the bargain of the century is the double mica/ceramic spacer 5R4GY from Fivre/Haltron/Zaerix/Brimar/CEI/Certron, etc. Forget overpriced Fivre and get one of the others from Ebay at less than $50 delivered! These tube are all the same, except for the labels stuck on them and they work soooo well with the Atlantic circuit...Totally blowing away the stock recti that comes with the Atlantic.

aldcoll

« Reply #325 on: 2 Aug 2017, 05:33 pm »
I'll let MCA give the skinny on his dad. It was sweeeeeeet.

We ran it balanced to the Modwright amp.  And it was a crowd pleasing event.

Alan

mca

« Reply #326 on: 2 Aug 2017, 07:24 pm »
The tube in my DAC was an Emission Labs that I borrowed from the distributor.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #327 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:18 pm »
Jake,
I know that we discussed what tubes were in your MP-D2 but I don't recall which signal tubes you were using. Was it
 Tesla's? Also, I believe you're using a Mullard rectifier but don't recall what vintage.
Everybody at the gathering seemed to prefer the sound of your unit so now that I've blown one my signal tubes, due to my mishandling, it may be time for some rolling. Maybe your Mundorf S/G vs. my silvers had some influence on the sound too. :scratch:

Best regards,

Roy

JakeJ

« Reply #328 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:40 pm »
I am using JJ E88CC Gold Pins cryo treated from Cryoset Tubes.
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=410&osCsid=imjsd12vvisqgi5gogsl7acub6

And the rectifier is a Scott branded Mullard copper plate 5AR4 from the early 60's.

Since I haven't rolled any caps I do not know what the effect of them is.  I just went with the Mundorf Supreme S/G/O as that's what is recommended for running fully balanced.  Plus the previous owner had two already installed for single-ended operation and he bought them from SonicCraft so it was easy to get two more well matched ones as they had all the data form the first pair.  All four caps matched to within 0.02%!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #329 on: 8 Aug 2017, 07:28 pm »
I am using JJ E88CC Gold Pins cryo treated from Cryoset Tubes.
http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=410&osCsid=imjsd12vvisqgi5gogsl7acub6

And the rectifier is a Scott branded Mullard copper plate 5AR4 from the early 60's.

Since I haven't rolled any caps I do not know what the effect of them is.  I just went with the Mundorf Supreme S/G/O as that's what is recommended for running fully balanced.  Plus the previous owner had two already installed for single-ended operation and he bought them from SonicCraft so it was easy to get two more well matched ones as they had all the data form the first pair.  All four caps matched to within 0.02%!
Were you running balanced at the gathering? I was running single ended there ... I think. If it was hooked up balanced, the tubes weren't matched. They were different brands. The superfluous tubes are just placeholders, matched in voltage only but necessary for single ended to function. My DIY Tortuga pre is single ended.

JakeJ

« Reply #330 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:32 pm »
Were you running balanced at the gathering? I was running single ended there ... I think. If it was hooked up balanced, the tubes weren't matched. They were different brands. The superfluous tubes are just placeholders, matched in voltage only but necessary for single ended to function. My DIY Tortuga pre is single ended.

My MP-D2 was in the system twice.  First time was early in the day before everyone got there and it was connected single-ended to Greg's preamp.  Later towards the end of the gathering it was installed with my A2 preamp and running fully balanced.  Which was better?  Too far apart in the day to tell.

Sonny

ISO: Walnut Plank/Board
« Reply #331 on: 11 Aug 2017, 05:47 pm »
Local guys,

Where can I find some decent Walnut planks, say 46x20x1 for top and bottoms of a rack?

Any local in the Puget Sound?

Thanks
T

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #332 on: 11 Aug 2017, 07:18 pm »
Edensaw Woods  is the best hardwood supplier that I've encountered. They have an incredible walk around warehouse that's a pleasure to visit.
http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/Store/CategoryHome/1092

-Roy

aldcoll

« Reply #333 on: 11 Aug 2017, 07:25 pm »
Are you looking for a finished or raw product?

These folks are in Portland and will have anything from a whole tree to craft products.  http://www.gobywalnut.com

If nothing else look for a Woodcraft store.

Alan

mca

« Reply #334 on: 13 Aug 2017, 05:35 pm »
Y'all missed a real treat, I brought out the big guns for Greg to hear on his fabulous system and it really rocked the house!

JakeJ

« Reply #335 on: 13 Aug 2017, 06:18 pm »

So...don't keep us in suspense, Mike, what is that little jewel?

mca

« Reply #336 on: 13 Aug 2017, 06:43 pm »
I tried for at least half hour to fix that image!

Just a cheap little Chinese amp running a pair of 6L6 tubes for about 5wpc. We tried it with the Lampizator and it sounded like.... a $200 cheap Chinese amp, LOL.

JakeJ

« Reply #337 on: 13 Aug 2017, 10:47 pm »
LOL, Mike you really had me there.  :fishing:

So then the big guns were...?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #338 on: 14 Aug 2017, 12:41 am »
Mike,

A little bird told me that system of his is set to fly even higher soon.  :thumb: Man, he is one lucky guy.

Now I know how to improve my system.  :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #339 on: 14 Aug 2017, 04:37 pm »
When Mike came over he made me laugh. He told me he brought over the big guns, pulled that amp out of his rig and said "here's the Lampi" :lol:

Then he brought it in and I said, what amp is that? "that's my little pea shooter" :lol:

It didn't sound too bad really, as long as we had the server subs on  :thumb:
Like Jake mentioned I am buying Mike's Lampizator Atlantic, I just love how it sounds with the Super Vs. What's amazing is you can turn it all the way up with no distortion and that's using the power house Butler 2250 on a Coax rated at 97db.

I'm a very happy man for sure :D :D

Oh, and Mike, I have had nothing but trouble trying to get images to show up right side up. Somehow I finally got lucky and it worked, still not sure what I did different.