Difference between Alnico 6" XRS and Alnico 7" XRS?

beowulf

Difference between Alnico 6" XRS and Alnico 7" XRS?
« on: 26 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm »
Hey Omega Fans, has anybody heard the differences between the two Alnico speakers ... the Alnico 6" (Hemp) $2995 vs Alnico 7" (RS7A) $2300? 

Since the specs seem pretty similar on paper I was wondering what the sounds differences were between the two offerings that would also differentiate the substantial price difference of the XRS vs RS7A? 

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking the hemp cones (being a more exotic material) would be more expensive to produce in comparison, but in what ways do they differ sound wise and are we talking Sublte or OMG? :lol:

Thanks!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Difference between Alnico 6" XRS and Alnico 7" XRS?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:41 am »
Still a difference, but I think the Super 7 XRS Alnico would be $2400 or $2600 depending on level two or three finish - the Alnico XRS is $3000 regardless of finish.

That said, can't answer the sound question.  I do know the RS7A sounds sublime!

.......Peter

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2014, 08:41 pm »
Yes, I would have to agree about the finishes Peter.

Canada Rob ... how about you?  Can you give any feedback on the 2 Alnico speakers that Louis offers?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2014, 04:13 am »
Canada Rob ... how about you?  Can you give any feedback on the 2 Alnico speakers that Louis offers?
Fully loaded the Super 7 Monitor and XRS get close to the Alnico Monitor and XRS in price, in which case I personally would go for the Alnico Monitor or XRS.  The Super 7 pages and the "My own drivers" page on the website basically describe the sound of the alnico vs ferrite.  The top of the line Alnico is more refined in every way than the Super 7 alnico (the sound signature will be similar though), and for a few hundred bucks more than a decked out Super 7, the Alnico still IMO appears to be underpriced...because a decked out 7 is a steal.  Where the Super 7s have their advantage is when ordered in the EKO finishes - $2150 gets you an alnico driver in an XRS speaker.  Back to the Alnico: look at the physical differences in the two alnico drivers - big.  The Alnico HempCone driver has been Louis top of the line for years, and for good reason.

beowulf

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2014, 04:50 am »
Fully loaded the Super 7 Monitor and XRS get close to the Alnico Monitor and XRS in price, in which case I personally would go for the Alnico Monitor or XRS.  The Super 7 pages and the "My own drivers" page on the website basically describe the sound of the alnico vs ferrite.  The top of the line Alnico is more refined in every way than the Super 7 alnico (the sound signature will be similar though), and for a few hundred bucks more than a decked out Super 7, the Alnico still IMO appears to be underpriced...because a decked out 7 is a steal.  Where the Super 7s have their advantage is when ordered in the EKO finishes - $2150 gets you an alnico driver in an XRS speaker.  Back to the Alnico: look at the physical differences in the two alnico drivers - big.  The Alnico HempCone driver has been Louis top of the line for years, and for good reason.

Thanks CR, that's a good explanation and what I was looking for. :thumb: