LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:08 am »
All,

The BALANCED INPUTS and OUTPUTS modules should be out sometime in August. 

Pricing and details coming soon (next month).

- Vinnie
ANY idea of rough cost?  I promise I wouldn't hold you to it.  Also, how many pairs of XLR (Truly Balanced) outputs will it have?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:21 am »
ANY idea of rough cost?  I promise I wouldn't hold you to it.  Also, how many pairs of XLR (Truly Balanced) outputs will it have?

Hi jtwrace,

Under $500 for each module.

They will each have 1 L/R set of XLR's, and 2 L/R sets of RCAs.

The Balanced INs/OUTs will be 50-ohm, "true balanced" (active stage).

Again - I'll post more next month when we have it all finished and ready for production. 
Until then, feel free to email me with questions.

Ok - back to AVC/Tubestage discussion...  :wink:

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:35 am »
Hi Mitch,

If you are only using LIO as a dac (feeding into another preamp), then you would not need this module.

If you are using LIO as a dac + preamp to feed another power amp, then YES - it would improve sound quality.

Hope this helps,

Vinnie
[/quot

Vinnie The improvement would also apply to a unit with DAC, Pre, and Amp functions as well.. correct?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:40 am »
Hi yardbird,

Correct  :thumb:

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:17 am »
Thank you for your response

I think I will have it order too

Bear with my English, the trade in option you offer is the module (part) that we need to swap and not the whole LIO, right ?

Ultralight

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:07 pm »
Continue to follow your developments with interest in light of the fabulous realization of conception to execution. Two questions:

1. This takes one slot?   If so, this means that it actually opens up a slot compared to RVC/Tube.

2. Assuming the AVC/Tube and RVC/Tube both cost the same, is it conceivable that a fair percentage of listeners would prefer the RVC/Tube sound or is it so stark a difference that almost all would prefer AVC/Tube?

Thanks.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:31 pm »
Thank you for your response

I think I will have it order too

Bear with my English, the trade in option you offer is the module (part) that we need to swap and not the whole LIO, right ?

Hi Mitch751,

Your English is fine!  Yes, with the trade-in you would trade-in your RVC and Tubestage for this new module (AVC/Tubestage combo
module).  I would send it to you to install, and you would send back the RVC and Tubestage (not the whole LIO).

Continue to follow your developments with interest in light of the fabulous realization of conception to execution. Two questions:

1. This takes one slot?   If so, this means that it actually opens up a slot compared to RVC/Tube.

2. Assuming the AVC/Tube and RVC/Tube both cost the same, is it conceivable that a fair percentage of listeners would prefer the RVC/Tube sound or is it so stark a difference that almost all would prefer AVC/Tube?

Hi Ultralight,

1) Yes, the AVC/Tubestage takes the slot of the standard LIO Tubestage (or standard LIO AVC).  So if you have RVC and Tubestage,
the RVC slot would be free.  This is the location that goes on top of the LIO INPUTS (if one has LIO analog INPUTS module).  With AVC/TUBESTAGE in place, you would simply install a small jumper board in place of RVC.  It's all quite simple to do.

2) The RVC + Tubestage is quite a bit less expensive than the upcoming AVC/Tubestage.  But even if they were the same price, it would be hard to believe that one would prefer the sound of RVC + Tubestage modules vs. the AVC/Tubestage combo module, but it is possible and wouldn't make it "wrong" - we all have our distinct tastes in sound and that is what keeps it interesting!  :)

Vinnie

yardbird4

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:10 am »
Hi firedog,

Yes, if you want to change from AVC/Tubestage mode to AVC mode (or vise versa), you remove the two thumbscrews and slide
the top cover off.  Then swap the two jumpers and you're ready to go.

Thanks, BRM!

Yes, you can order the XLR INPUTS module and/or XLR OUTPUTS module later and swap with the standard INPUTS / OUTPUTS module.  They will be compatible with everything.

Hi TomS,

I can't think of anyone who loves RVC + Tubestage that will not love AVC/Tubestage even more.  I put in a solid listening session last night.  AVC + Tubestage is the perfect marriage and they really compliment each other.

Compared to RVC + Tubestage (which as you know is very impressive already), AVC/Tubestage:

- Even better transient response and dynamics
- More open and transparent sounding
- Finer low-level (low volume) detail retrieval. 
- Even better unraveling of subtle textures and nuances in the music
- Worth noting for those who have not tried the AVC:  It uses different relays (Pickering England)
that are virtually silent when you change volume level. 

Just configured as a LIO preamp (linestage, with INPUTS and AVC/TUBESTAGE modules only) - I don't know of
any preamp that comes close to sounding this good anywhere at this price point, and I'm talking Aug 1st prices.
At current pricing, it's a steal!   

30-day return policy lets YOU be the judge.  :singing:

Vinnie

Vinnie

What I would like to know is what are the differences/improvements of the AVC-Tube Stage over the AVC without tube stage?  At least as you see it what additional sonic pleasures can we expect in this matchup?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:52 am »
Hi yardbird4,

Compared to the AVC, the AVC/Tubestage delivers a richer midrange (but not overly dense / this is NOT an overly tooooby kinda sound), and there is added texture and tonality.  Vocals and superb!

But NOT as the expense of speed, openness, detail, low volume detail.  You really do get the best of both worlds with this one!  :drool:

The sound will also have dependency on the tubes you are using.  My comments above are with the stock JJ E88CC tubes, as that is what comes with the AVC/Tubestage module.  With some of those nice NOS tubes, it gets even better!  More on that later...

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:22 am »
What do you think ,instead of trade in, shall I just order the new AVC/Tubesage, ? Since the  sound taste of both are different, then I can swap them anytime I want  :D :D

yardbird4

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:09 pm »
Hi yardbird4,

Compared to the AVC, the AVC/Tubestage delivers a richer midrange (but not overly dense / this is NOT an overly tooooby kinda sound), and there is added texture and tonality.  Vocals and superb!

But NOT as the expense of speed, openness, detail, low volume detail.  You really do get the best of both worlds with this one!  :drool:

The sound will also have dependency on the tubes you are using.  My comments above are with the stock JJ E88CC tubes, as that is what comes with the AVC/Tubestage module.  With some of those nice NOS tubes, it gets even better!  More on that later...

My order is in! 8)

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2015, 05:12 pm »
All,

LIO AVC/TUBESTAGE combo module is here:

http://vinnierossi.com/store/#!/AVC-Tubestage-combo-module/p/51938116/category=13223079

(I'll be adding it to the main page / drop down menu this week).  8)

A few more are scheduled to ship this week, as well as complete LIO systems with this module installed!

Thank you,

Vinnie

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2015, 08:53 pm »
Sweet.

TomS

« Reply #33 on: 11 Aug 2015, 01:05 am »
My AVC/Tubestage combo is singing sweetly as I type this  :thumb:

Oh, and the install itself was about 5 minutes from package to playing, other than the power recycle for the cap banks.

denjo

« Reply #34 on: 11 Aug 2015, 09:41 am »
Hi TomS

Lovely photos of the Lio innards with the AVC-Tubestage in place.

What are some of the initial differences you've noticed between the RVC- Tubestage and the AVC-Tubestage? How hot is the Lio Integrated with the lid closed? Are you able to place your palm on the lid without needing to move away because of the heat?

Best Regards
Dennis

TomS

« Reply #35 on: 11 Aug 2015, 01:30 pm »
Hi TomS

Lovely photos of the Lio innards with the AVC-Tubestage in place.

What are some of the initial differences you've noticed between the RVC- Tubestage and the AVC-Tubestage? How hot is the Lio Integrated with the lid closed? Are you able to place your palm on the lid without needing to move away because of the heat?

Best Regards
Dennis
Dennis,

Hopefully I'll log more listening time this weekend as we have family in town all this week, but I already sense the similar clarity and immediacy of my balanced TAP-X, with just the right touch of tube sweetness. It is definitely a step up from the RVC/Tubestage, which was already very, very good. I think Vinnie's description is spot on  :P

yardbird4

« Reply #36 on: 11 Aug 2015, 02:13 pm »
Dennis,

Hopefully I'll log more listening time this weekend as we have family in town all this week, but I already sense the similar clarity and immediacy of my balanced TAP-X, with just the right touch of tube sweetness. It is definitely a step up from the RVC/Tubestage, which was already very, very good. I think Vinnie's description is spot on  :P

The closed LIO is only moderately warm. You can place your hand on top and leave it if you wish.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #37 on: 11 Aug 2015, 05:56 pm »
Hi TomS,

Thank you for your early AVC/Tubestage impressions and pics!

I also forgot to post this, showing where you swap the jumpers if you want to run in pure "AVC" mode (vs.
AVC + Tubestage mode, which labeled "TUBE" on the board.

Before removing the board, make sure you waiting a few minutes after turning your LIO off (cool down) and unplug
the power cable.

I will say this - after trying it both ways, I will never go back to AVC mode.  AVC + TUBES =  :drool:

Are you able to place your palm on the lid without needing to move away because of the heat?

Hi denjo,

You need not have any concerns with heat (even with the tubestage).  The top barely gets warm, and you can even locate
LIO in an area of little ventilation if you have to.

All the best,

Vinnie

BobRex

« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2015, 07:35 pm »

I will say this - after trying it both ways, I will never go back to AVC mode.  AVC + TUBES =  :drool:

All the best,

Vinnie

You're welcome  :lol:

I had a hunch this would be something special.  Now one of these days I gotta cough up the bucks for one.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2015, 09:33 pm »

I also forgot to post this, showing where you swap the jumpers if you want to run in pure "AVC" mode (vs.
AVC + Tubestage mode, which labeled "TUBE" on the board.

All the best,

Vinnie
Are you kidding me?  You can do it both ways with the SAME module?  Why wasn't this ever mentioned?   :bawl: