Question about plate amps and DXO

simon wagstaff

Question about plate amps and DXO
« on: 18 Jul 2010, 01:56 pm »
Is there much difference between a passive set up with an integral plate amp for the woofers vs. a two way DXO set up?

I have an AVA U70 that I would want to use to drive the planar drivers and tweeters.  I realize with the plate amp that the u70 would still be "seeing" the bass frequencies but would not be asked to provide current to drive them.

With the DXO the crossover point would be for between the woofers and the upper dirvers, say at around 280 hz or so therefore the U70 wouldn't see anything below that. I understand that the analogue crossover would be inserted into the signal chain, but where is the most "current drain", going to lower frequencies or from the upper ones?

Thanks!

John Casler

Re: Question about plate amps and DXO
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2010, 08:43 pm »
Is there much difference between a passive set up with an integral plate amp for the woofers vs. a two way DXO set up?

Hi Simon,

Are you asking about the PBS? Powered Bass System?  We still have that as an "outboard" option but not a plate amp. (although that could change)

It can be used with either the OXO (passive analog XO) or the DOXO (Digital XO), but it requires a "line level" signal source.

I have an AVA U70 that I would want to use to drive the planar drivers and tweeters.  I realize with the plate amp that the u70 would still be "seeing" the bass frequencies but would not be asked to provide current to drive them.

With the OXO, the signal would follow this path:

Preamp output-->AVA U70--->OXO---->Speaker

So yes the AVA U70 would be receiving FR (full range) signal from the preamp.

With the DOXO the signal path would look like this:

Preamp output--->DOXO---->AVA U70----> Speaker

So with the DOXO the AVA U70 would receive ONLY the frequencies for the Neos and FST.

With the DXO the crossover point would be for between the woofers and the upper dirvers, say at around 280 hz or so therefore the U70 wouldn't see anything below that.

Correct.

I understand that the analogue crossover would be inserted into the signal chain, but where is the most "current drain", going to lower frequencies or from the upper ones?

The most "efficient" use of the amp is with the DOXO since it doesn't have to push the OXO circuitry.