No sound from tweeter of my RM40

smarterence

No sound from tweeter of my RM40
« on: 15 Sep 2006, 02:46 am »
Hi all !

I owned a pair of RM40 and am located in Singapore.

Recently, while trying to play on the different listening positions of my RM40, I realised that there is no music/sound coming out from the left speaker's tweeter. The rest of the 4 ribbon panels and the sub-woofers are OK, as well as all the speakers on the right side speaker.

What do you guys could be the problem? Could I have possibly blown the delicate ribbon tweeter?

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

warnerwh

Re: No sound from tweeter of my RM40
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2006, 03:12 am »
The tweeter is very fragile but could be ok. You may want to pull it out and see if the wires are connected to it. If they are then contact Brian for a new one. I'm sure it's an easy swap.

Hopefully you're aware that even blowing on the tweeter's diaphram could cause damage. Vacuum cleaners could also ruin it. I know that powerwise it would be extremely difficult to blow as I've driven my speakers to very high levels, 105db at the listener position, and mine work fine.

If you pull it out be extremely careful as the magnet is very powerful and will pull the little wrench right out of your hand.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 03:34 am »
Warner is right and hopefully it is just a connection that may have come loose.

Also take a flashlight and look at the "ribbon" itself to see if it is torn or has any damage that can be seen from visual inspection.

And I too caution you to be careful with metal objects especially things like screws and screw drivers, as that magnet IS very strong.

smarterence

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 02:50 pm »
Hi guys !

Many thanks for the advise.

Realised the reason why there is no sound. I must have turned the screws at the back of the speakers too much while tuning. I saw the mark is over at the 4 O'clock mark and turn it back to between 1-2 O'clock and the sound from the tweeter came back !

Problem solved now ! Thanks again !

Regards

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2006, 07:46 pm »
GOOD!

Now back to your regularly scheduled listening :thumb: