Soundstage

sm4r2d2

Soundstage
« on: 28 Dec 2004, 07:56 pm »
Hi, New to this forum stuff and VMPS products. Went about 10yrs. w/out a stereo, didn't want crap. Kids grew up so took on new debt. I'm disabled and can't travel much, only 2 mid-level audio stores near. I settled on a surround sys. (SACD & Concert DVD's-no movies) of B&W N805's & Rotel & Sony dvd. Sound quality o.k. but soundstage isn't. Also, I'm starting to think I don't like metal tweeters. This is leading to my interest in VMPS.
  My sound stage stops at about 44" high. Most all fo the music I listen to is performed by people standing, Classic Rock, Jazz, Folk, Bluegrass etc.,. Would you good folks help direct me to speakers that give more of a stage presence? Thanks

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Soundstage
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2004, 08:45 pm »
I have no clue what VMPS speakers would give you "higher" stage presence than 44''.  In fact I am not sure what you mean by your sound stage ending at 44" with the B&W N805s.  Do you mean that your speakers on their stands are physically at 44'' and the music sounds localized at this level? I think you need to give a little more details about your system -- how many N805's, what surround sound processor, source and amplification, and room acoustic information -- for someone to be able to help you out.   I suppose your budget would also play in what line of speakers best fits your need.  

I like my RM 40's and they certainly throw a large sound stage even if the sweet (listening) spot is vertically challenged.

sm4r2d2

Soundstage
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 09:15 pm »
Most of the speaker reviews state that the tweeters should be close to ear heighth, and a lot of manuf. put them at the top of their cabinet (speaker array), as are mine. I'm not sure what frequency range male and female voices are(as well as some instruments,flute,harmonica,violin), but I thought that the speakers covering those freq. would sound more lifelike at close to natural heighth. I was wondering if the RM 40 or one less expensive was designed with this in mind. I think I miss the concert wall of sound and also the feeling that the performers are "right there". Even from the next room my sound seems to be in the lower half of the room.  Oh well,  THANKS for your time.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Soundstage
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 09:38 pm »
If you want a wall of sound, I think any VMPS floor stander will do.  Even though the super-tweeters are at different places, RM40, RM30 and RM/x all have a "wall" of ribbons that go down to 200 Hz.  With the proper amplification you can choose your seat at the concert -- first row to upper deck family circle!  
But something isn't right with your set up if are perceiving no sound above 44"  Have you tried different stands for your N805's and are you using a sub(s) with your system?  What is your listening position?

sm4r2d2

Soundstage
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:12 pm »
My system is: Front speakers B&WN805 on B&W 24" stands, Rotel RB190 w/ 360 watts per, 2 pair of Audioquest CV-6 spkr. wire. (Rotel has 2 sets of binding post per channel)
Center channel : (used for multi-chnl SACD) B&W HTML, Rotel RB170 bridged for 340 watts, AQ Granite bi-wire cable
Rear: 2 B&W N805, 36" Bell'O stands, AQ Granite spkr. wire, Rotel RB180 w/ 200 watts,   spkrs facing in at the ends of a couch
Rotel RSP 1066 processor,  Sony NS999ES CD/SACD/DVD, All AQ Viper interconnects,  HSU VTF3 sub,
 TV and equipment rack between mains.  Front speakers and seating position form 7.5' equallateral triangle. Front speakers are 33" from wall.   Sound is quite directional and doesn't seem to come from above the speakers. It it 39" from floor to middle of tweeter and 34" to the middle of the other speaker (ported 2-way).
Hence my interest in tall VMPS.
 Also where can I get info on the RM30. Am I going to the wrong manufacturers web sight? Never seen it.
Thanks very much for your time.

warnerwh

Soundstage
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:31 pm »
Go here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10838
The VMPS website is sorely outdated and the best place for info is right here.  You're on the right track coming here. You'll find that B&W cannot compete with VMPS on a per dollar basis at all.  As for your soundstage problem it may be that is room acoustics related.  A pic of your room may be helpful otherwise I don't know why the B&W's would have such a short height.  If you go to the above list of dealers and find someone nearby if possible they will be able to give you anything you want.  The RM 40's throw a wonderful soundstage btw.

John Casler

Re: Soundstage
« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: sm4r2d2
Hi, New to this forum stuff and VMPS products. Went about 10yrs. w/out a stereo, didn't want crap. Kids grew up so took on new debt. I'm disabled and can't travel much, only 2 mid-level audio stores near. I settled on a surround sys. (SACD & Concert DVD's-no movies) of B&W N805's & Rotel & Sony dvd. Sound quality o.k. but soundstage isn't. Also, I'm starting to think I don't like metal tweeters. This is leading to my interest in VMPS.
  My sound stage stops at about 44" high. Most all fo the music I listen ...

Hi SM,

I know exactly what you mean.  Just listen to the Gallo Ref 3s and they have this "short" soundstage (or should I say vertically challenged)  I think Marty DeWulf even mentions it in his BFS review.

Heard the Vandersteen 5As a short while back and found the same thing, (although it could have been because I was sitting too low) where the soloists are about 3-4 feet high, or you are on risers listening "down" to them.

I have to say that most VMPS speakers project a close to lifesize image, but this can be adjusted in set up and positioning.

My RM40s had James Taylor sitting on a tall stool (voice seemed to be maybe 5' 9" tall) right in front of me.

My 626Rs have almost that image height too.

I always thought the image height of the RM40s strange, since, in my case, the tweeter was "below" my ear.  I guess the high column of neopanels was what caused the higher image.

The RM30's also have lifesize images with most nearfeild listening distances.

Being a big soundstage nut, I notice things like that.  I am not one who appreciates sitting in the bleachers and listening "down" to the performers.  It drives me crazy. :nono:

I think you'll find the VMPS RM40, RM30, and 626R will give you full soundstage height when set up properly. and sitting in the sweet spot. :mrgreen:

sm4r2d2

Soundstage
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:52 pm »
Thank you John C.
 I was starting to think it was just me that was so destracted by this. Now , on to find the cure---

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Soundstage
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2004, 11:57 pm »
I too find that "miniature" sized performers is a distraction, particularly since I listen to a lot of classical music, and I want to be able to hear a large hall or a large instrument reproduced properly at "life size", which includes height.  One thing I have notices is that only big speakers with a lot of radiating area really accoumplish this.  Outside of the RM40's, I've only heard a few speakers accomplish this, namely the bigger Magnepans, Apogees, and some Line Arrays from Selah Audio and GR Research.  However, each of these other speakers had specific limitations that bothered me (except the Selah Audio stuff).  I'd have to say though that the RM40's are probably the best "complete" sound I've heard at anywhere close to their price range.

John Casler

Soundstage
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2004, 03:03 am »
Thank you John C.
 I was starting to think it was just me that was so destracted by this. Now , on to find the cure---

They call me Doctor Casler 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Soundstage
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2004, 03:43 pm »
  My sound stage stops at about 44" high. Most all fo the music I listen ...

i am not gonna try to talk ya outta vmps speakers.  in fact, i hope to be soon building a custom iteration of rm40's from a kit i recently purchased.   :)

that said, i can safely say that all metal domes are not created equal, & you can in fact get great soundstage from them - even height.  at the same time, i can also say that i've never heard a pair of b&w speakers that floated my boat.

i have a pair of meret re monitors that use an older iteration of the focal inwerted titanium dome tweet & an eton carbon/kevlar midwoof.  excellent soundstaging, including height.  i have also heard & enjoyed jmlabs speakers, which of course also use their own focal inverted metal dome tweets.  and, there are other metal dome speakers i've enjoyed, like those from totem acoustics & aerial acoustics.  implementation is key.

doug s.

John Casler

Soundstage
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2004, 05:29 pm »
In listening to my 626Rs which are sitting on top of my LARGER Subs (22.5" high) which makes the FST tweeter 42-43" high and the vocal image is 5' 9" nearfield.

Very Lifelike. :mrgreen:

My RM40s were probably around 6' nearfeild.

I think you will find the image reduces slightly the further away you sit from the speaker.

KJ

Soundstage
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2004, 05:55 pm »
sm4r2d2,

Perhaps the sound stage is compressed due to needed room treatments?  I am in the process of replacing my B&W M805s.  Although the imaging is not nearly as good as the VMPS line, I do know that my lack of room treatment limits the imaging capabilities.  Just a thought.

-KJ

warnerwh

Soundstage
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:55 am »
Room treatments very definitely affect imaging quite significantly.  Not only imaging but tonal balance as well.  If you can put room treatment in your room that is a great idea. You'll be glad you did as usually the reward per dollar is quite good.

buffer

Soundstage
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2005, 08:46 am »
sm4r2d2,

I would not tell you what to buy.  What I will tell you is my VMPS FF1 SRE has as big and broad a soundstage as I've heard from any speaker.  I have the FST ribbon treble as an upgrade.  Sound extents to the ceiling and way beyond the edges of the speaker.  On certain recordings (especially ones that utilize Q-Sound) the sound can come from behind me or to my side.

My detailed review can be found at the audioasylum.

Brian U.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
Soundstage
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2005, 04:32 pm »
Hopefully you can get to a dealer and start to listen. You will get realistic sound from any of the speakers mentioned. When sitting in the correct location in stereo I can get holograghic sounds. I often need to check that the center channel or surrounds are not playing. In surrround surround sound 5.1 or above it is just another layer of sound. If watching moives or concert dvd's you are there and part of the action or concert.

The current setup that you have is nice but these will just give you a more "realistic" event. A "your are there" type of event. Of course, not with all recordings but with good recordings, pretty amazing.

With Norah Jones( my new love....heh I am a late bloomer to her) she is sitting right in front you playing away. Midrange is unreal and clear.

Try to get a listen somewhere and you will see what we are all talking about.

Larry