Considering experimenting with different belts

peckjed

Considering experimenting with different belts
« on: 31 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm »
Hey everyone! So I’ve got a Scheu Premier MKii with the 80mm platter, VPI tonearm and Grado wood cartridge. Recently the string used as a belt broke when transporting my TT to a friends house. That has stemmed the idea of experimenting with actual belts and possibly swapping out the motor pulley with a multi belt pulley. I figured I’d come here and get peoples opinions on various belt styles.

While I’m on the hunt I’m trying desperately to figure out what kind of belt this is!

bacobits1

Re: Considering experimenting with different belts
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2019, 04:37 pm »
Nice table! Looks like a Graham arm not VPI on that one.
I wouldn't mess with that belt, Look for a replacement.
I like the idea of a tape drive, I don't like the VPI arms, but theta's me..........

peckjed

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:17 pm »
Nice table! Looks like a Graham arm not VPI on that one.
I wouldn't mess with that belt, Look for a replacement.
I like the idea of a tape drive, I don't like the VPI arms, but theta's me..........

That’s not my table. I’m trying to identify what kind of tape that is in addition to weighing the pros and cons of a normal belt!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:44 pm »
I know jack about turntables, but that sure looks like Mylar tape on drive belt. Quick Google confirms there is such a thing. That should get you started.

drrsutliff

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2019, 02:56 am »
Origin Live makes a belt with a lot of positive reviews. Multiple sizes including custom can be ordered.