LLC62W-8A Woofers For Group Purchase

GeorgeAb

LLC62W-8A Woofers For Group Purchase
« on: 22 Mar 2023, 10:03 pm »
Started a new thread as this discussion was buried in the VMPS speakers for sale section. I never received a formal quote from Misco. I did recieve an email if I purchase 10 they will keep the price down to $100/driver.  I have no problems purchasing 10, but really only need 2 possible 4 units.

If you have interest, let me know how many drivers you will commit to purchasing. Price will be cost shipped to me plus shipping from 98382. In the interim I will request a formalized quote for 10 units. These were the last iteration of drivers used in the 626, RM30 and RM-V60 and have the largest magnets, bullet shaped phase plug. 

GeorgeAB & AVB,

If there is an extra pair of the Misco LLC62W-8A woofers available count me in on the group buy.

George, if you've asked for a quote you might also consider a quantity of 10 to get the price down and I would commit to 4 units.  Plus selling the remaining drivers you don't want will be a cake walk.  Food for thought.

TIA,
Jake

tbrooke

Re: LLC62W-8A Woofers For Group Purchase
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2023, 01:51 pm »
Is this the woofer paired in the RM 30?

LenzIntFin

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2023, 02:43 am »
4 or 6

GeorgeAb

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2023, 03:52 pm »
Is this the woofer paired in the RM 30?

Yes, it is.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2023, 04:08 pm »
4 or 6

Thanks Lenz. That brings us up to 6 total. When I get a firm commitment for a total of 10 units I will go forward with the order. 

tbrooke

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2023, 07:22 pm »
Wasn't there an upgrade to a mega woofer - a larger magnet -- I have the series one with the phase Plug and I also have a pair of 626R with the same woofer -- I assume the new ones won't have the phase plug and I wonder if it is needed-- I'm still on the fence - my woofers are OK but I have noticed both with one of the RM30s and one of the 626s a chafing sound with test tones I have been using for measurement - a certain low frequency cause a chaffing almost like something is torn-- I replaced the small passive radiators -  I wonder if it could be the woofers

I am on the line other than this the woofer are fine but a spare or two may not hurt

GeorgeAb

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2023, 08:31 pm »
JakeJ just committed to 4. I have enough of a committment to puchase the 10. When I received the formal quote Misco wanted to ship in even quantities of 4 so it was for 12. I am pretty sure they will sell just 10 as previously they committed to that. 

GeorgeAb

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2023, 08:40 pm »
Wasn't there an upgrade to a mega woofer - a larger magnet -- I have the series one with the phase Plug and I also have a pair of 626R with the same woofer -- I assume the new ones won't have the phase plug and I wonder if it is needed-- I'm still on the fence - my woofers are OK but I have noticed both with one of the RM30s and one of the 626s a chafing sound with test tones I have been using for measurement - a certain low frequency cause a chaffing almost like something is torn-- I replaced the small passive radiators -  I wonder if it could be the woofers

I am on the line other than this the woofer are fine but a spare or two may not hurt

The new (LLC62W-8A) ones will have the phase plug. It will be the bullet style used in the last iteration of speakers using the 6.5" drivers out of VMPS. I believe the magnet is slightly larger then the previous version (bother versions were considered a megawoofer by VMPS). The previous version had the wood phase plugs with curve edges and flat top that were installed at VMPS.

I have committment for a quantity of 10. So let me know if you want 2 and I will order 12. No hurry, but I would like to know by Friday as that is when I intend to place the order. 

GeorgeAb

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2023, 08:47 pm »
So far I have this:

User                    Qty
George Ab             2
JakeJ                    4
LentzIntFin            4
AVB                      ?
tbrooke                 ?

I sent RJ (AVB) a PM to confirm how many he wants.   

tbrooke

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2023, 12:14 am »
Thanks @GeorgeAb - I think I'll pass mine are OK and I can't see spending the money just to have spares - I may regret it - but I'll see

G E

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2023, 03:17 pm »
I have a couple spares. Also several neopanels. . It isn’t that much money for peace of mind. 

My RM30 series 2 sound jaw-droppingly good. They are not embarrassed by top-notch electronics. You’d likely need to spend $20k to beat the sound, and I’m not sure there is anything out there that matches the midrange of a properly set up RM-30.

tbrooke

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2023, 11:43 am »
@GeorgeAB - I'm sorry if it is not too late count me in for 4 speakers on the Group buy - I haven't found a better replacement for less than $20,000 so I figure $400 is decent insurance. I added a picture to be sure this will be a match - I know that Brian changed drivers some

GeorgeAb

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:46 pm »
@GeorgeAB - I'm sorry if it is not too late count me in for 4 speakers on the Group buy - I haven't found a better replacement for less than $20,000 so I figure $400 is decent insurance. I added a picture to be sure this will be a match - I know that Brian changed drivers some

Yes, those are the drivers. Size is 6.5" from edge to edge of diameter.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2023, 03:54 pm »
This is what I have on orders:

User                    Qty
George Ab             2
JakeJ                    4
LentzIntFin            4
mjosef                  2
tbrooke                 4

I am going to PM each one of you just to verify that you are committing to purchasing and not flake. Order will be placed on Monday the 17th.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2023, 04:24 pm »
Just a point of clarifiation. The LLC62W-8A Woofer is used in the 626R, RM-30, RM-V60, and Large Ribbon Center (LRC) speakers. This is 100%. On the original website they are listed as 6" drivers; however, the actual outside diameter (mounting diameter) is 6.5". On the LRC the diameter of the cut out is larger (7 5/8" vice 6 1/2") so Brian could use this driver or the larger diameter MCM audio select driver. When Brian used the LLC62W-8A (offered by VMPS as an upgrade) for the LRC there was an addditional spacer ring (shown below) to account for the extra space.

There are two variants of the 6.5" "megawoofer". Mounting dimensions are identical along with materials other then magnet weight and phase plug. One megawoofer has a 28 oz magent and has the wood phase plug that is flat on top and curved to the side. The other has 40 oz magnets and has a bullet phase plug. Pictures of both are below. The LLC62W-8A Woofers being ordered have the 40 oz magnet weight and bullet shaped phase plug. 

G E

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2023, 09:11 pm »
The 40 Oz version is a very worthwhile upgrade.

It’s amazing the bass capabilities of four 6.5” woofers

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2023, 05:31 pm »
In for 2 ✓

GeorgeAb

« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2023, 06:40 am »
Order placed. Will update when I have a ship date from Misco.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2023, 10:53 pm »
Per Misco, expected to ship on 5/18/23.

tbrooke

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2023, 05:41 pm »
Sounds Good  :D