open baffel

china

open baffel
« on: 9 Sep 2006, 11:29 am »
Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if wood is the only thing that can be used? How about a different material like marble? If that is permitted it may be stable enough to reduce some problems? Can the design include more than just one speaker? Such as a woofer and a midrange/tweeter combination?  Or more than one speaker such as pair of woofers or whatever? Sorry to show my ignorance. But I am curious.

Now for the strange one! What does "bump" and "pm" and all the rest of those strange little things on the message boards mean?

As always, all the best.

From China

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
Re: open baffel
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2006, 12:18 pm »
A baffle can be what ever you want it to be. I have made at least a dozen and have found that the more stable the baffle is, the better focused the sound is. Better micro detail as well. Also you can put as many drivers in the baffle as you like, and can run them 1 way,2 way 3 way etc, just roll your own :D

Happy listening
Nigel

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2006, 01:16 pm »
Good questions China - PM is a short form for Private Message.  Bump, is a term that people use, to move their thread (usually selling something) back up to the top of the list, where they hope more people will see it.

I currently run a full range driver (Visaton b200) and a 12 inch woofer, in the same baffle.  I intend to try another 12 inch woofer per panel, and have even more fun, and associated vibration.  I will explore thick baffles, or a gapped baffle, to reduce that vibration.

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2006, 05:03 pm »
I'm not sure of the material, but the Gillmore/Glacier Audio speakers are multi open baffle and the material has a marble look, but I think it is a synthetic.  There's a link on the manufacturer listing post

markC

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2006, 06:12 pm »
Just testing to see if I can share some pics.

Hey! it worked. Lousy pic though.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2006, 06:27 pm »
...and for the rest of those acronyms, see http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm .

I'm fantasizing about creating an OB (open-baffle) MTM+ (MR/tweeter/MR, as in a D'Appolito [sp?] configuration) system, each using two 6-1/2" drivers pulled from a pair of old Kindel PLS-As, wired in parallel, driven full-range, plus a tweeter to fill the top octave, plus 1 or 2 10" hi-sensitivity woofers driven thru a low-pass inductor.

As oldtimer wrote, build it any way YOU want!  But remember--the bigger the baffle, the less wrap-around cancellation you'll get, equals the stronger the bass will be.

BTW I added baffles to my existing OB system, Eminent Technology 8s.  See it here http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1126390461&read&keyw&zzjeffrey%20s .