Poll

Would you like to see an Open Baffle Circle here on Audiocircle?

YES
48 (94.1%)
NO
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: 8 Sep 2006, 09:52 pm

Poll for a Open Baffle Circle here on Audiocircle

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Poll for a Open Baffle Circle here on Audiocircle
« on: 1 Sep 2006, 09:52 pm »
All,

This poll is to see if there is interest in a dedicated Open Baffle Circle.  If yes, I will get a hold of JohnR and get this rolling...

Background info (from the Gravity Well of a Darkstar thread):

I think it will be beneficial for everyone if we take JohnR up on his offer to start a dedicated Open Baffle Circle (special interest group).  This thread has an amazing wealth of info, but it think it would be best for everyone to have some breathing room where they can start their own threads in this Open Baffle Circle.  Hopefully it will attract others to join in when they see that they have some more play space, and keep more peace between everyone.

We are all in it for the same thing, which is that GREAT OB SOUND, but it is obvious that many of us have our own approaches and experiences with regards to getting there and our own opinions as to what and where "there" really is.  Separate threads in a dedicated OB circle seems to me like the best way to go.  I think it will also be easier to find information this way than starting at the beginning of this thread and going through all the pages here.  I think it is nice to be able to view the subjects of various threads and see where they each are going....like a big tree whose root spread out in so many directions.

As for this Gravity Well thread, I can copy it over to the new OB circle because I want everyone who comes to the new circle to be able to refer to this thread.  It is one of the best ones on Audiocircle, IMHO!   

Thanks,

Vinnie

chadh

Re: Poll for a Open Baffle Circle here on Audiocircle
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:22 pm »

As long as somebody is prepared to moderate the circle, I think this is a great idea.  It seems that the thread on AC has garnered a lot of interest from people not associated with AC, even to the point of garnering mentions in the audio press.  A circle dedicated to this topic would surely raise AC's profile, and attract new visitors and (hopefully) members.

Chad

JeffB

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:31 pm »
I think an open baffle circle is a good idea.
It is too difficult to read through the massive number of pages that is the Gravity Well of a Darkstar to find old information.
I think with more topics in a circle the discussions would be slightly better indexed.

I also think that a wiki would be nice.  This would allow more factual information to be stored instead of simply a flow of ideas.  The flow of ideas is also very important so the thread based discussion should definitely stay.  However, if I want to know what Dmason's baffle looks like or Richard's, it would be nice to go to a wiki.

Various facts I could see on the wiki, are driver parameters, cut-outs, methods for isolating drivers from the board, methods for reducing bounce of the boards, the mathematics of baffles.

I suppose we could add such information to wikipedia.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:55 pm »
I am a bit indifferent to a dedicated circle, but I would most likely participate if there was one.  So I guess a yeah is in order.  I am building open baffle speakers as we speak but I have a more SL Orion style approach (i.e. full range as opposed to 'full-range' drivers).  :green:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2006, 10:57 pm »
I will volunteer to moderate such a circle - I have spent a fair amount of time around here, have a system primarily built of gear from, or modded by folks here, have a fair number of posts here, and actually do own a set of OB speakers.

Not sure how one becomes a moderator, but if such a circle is born, and you need someone, I would do it.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2006, 11:10 pm »
Someone mentioned a wiki. While that may be beyond the scope of AC and its forums, I would be happy to help out with creating a separate site or "compendium" for all things open baffle. I've only briefly experimented with an OB system myself, but I love all those I've heard, and am working on getting some more ideas for the future. I work in web and interactive media, so any ideas in anyone's head is fair game.

-Richard-

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2006, 11:29 pm »
Yes... Vinnie... for all the good reasons mentioned so far ~

I agree that a systematic method of organizing information: OB designs, measurements,
treatments to optimize driver baffle integration and so on would be most helpful ~

I believe Mark in Canada would be a wonderful moderator... our Canadian friends are
so civil and good natured ~

My main interest above and beyond the information we love to share with each other
is to keep all the threads on AC fluid and free-spirited... so we can have some fun
while we are learning ~

Warm Regards ~ Richard ~

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2006, 02:00 am »
I'm not sure how much activity an OB circle will have, but I think it's worth a try.  I would also offer to be a co-moderator. 

Thanks to all who have contributed to the Dark Star thread - it has been a fantastic read and sharing of knowledge/experience/ideas.

markC

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2006, 12:57 pm »
Very generous of Mark and Brad to offer up their time to moderate. I'm confident this new circle would be an asset to AC.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2006, 02:23 pm »
I would like to see a dedicated OB forum also. As one who recently (almost) finished a pair of Obs with a set of inappropriate drivers just to see what all the rage is about, I'm hooked. Robbing drivers from a set of "store boughts" that I've logged many hours with to install OB, I was simply amazed at the difference. After reading DarkStar, and numerous Decware threads on the topic I had to give it a try. OB discussion (seems to me) like an "underground subject" until recently. A dedicated forum to better organize would be nice.

I'd love to come play in your open baffle sandbox!  :wink:

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2006, 03:35 am »
Circle Title - Open Baffle Speaker Circle
Tagline - A friendly place, where folks can share recipes, and discuss speakers built on an open baffle

The borg tells me that we are to have an Open Baffle Specific Circle, so I will post here what I think it should be all about, as the guy who offered to assist in working to keep it fun, and useful.

This circle should be a place for folks who are interested in, or build, or have heard, open baffle speakers.  I am sure there is a good definition somewhere, but I figure if you build a speaker, and it it not enclosed in a box, then it is open baffle -  this will include flat baffles, U baffles, H baffles, Z baffles, etc.

Hopefully, we will all work hard to share what we find, and respect that others hear and desire different results.  It is important to remember that we are all speaking a second language here - the written word lacks all the inflection, and emotion of the spoken word, so often people will interpret things in ways that were not necessarily intended by the person who typed them.  The use of emoticons works for some, other will bracket laughter to help folks know that they are kidding etc.

In any case, let's work to keep it clean and fun, while we share our passion for speakers, without the box!

I know that open baffle speakers are not a silver bullet, and there are many exceptional examples of other types of speakers that I enjoy, but I find that open baffle speakers are one excellent way to enjoy the reproduction of music.

I look forward to learning more about the configurations that folks come up with, the associated gear, how rooms interract differently with different configurations, and ultimately what different designs people end up with.

Objective information welcome, as is subjective reporting of experimentation, etc.

Be well all,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2006, 05:39 pm »
All,

Thanks for all your participation with this poll.  So far 42/45 votes are YES for the Open Baffle Speaker Circle!  :thumb:  I doubt I'll need to poll for the full 7 days for this one.

Hi mcgsxr and Brad,

I'd love to see you guys in charge of moderating and thank you for volunteering....very cool!  I think this circle will generate a lot of traffic and attract more people to AC from all over the world. 

Hi fiveoclockfriday,

Thank you for offering to build a wiki.  If you go forward with it, hopefully there will be a "sticky" on this circle with a link to it for easy reference.

All,

If this new circle can be kept fairly organized and act as a large enough sandbox for everyone to have room to play nice together, it is going to be a BIG success IMO!  :D

Thanks again,

Vinnie

theborg

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2006, 09:51 am »
Thank you everyone for your interest. The new circle is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

Your hosts are mcgsxr and Brad. Mark, if you could post a sticky with the guidelines, and then let's go :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2006, 11:48 am »
Thank you everyone for your interest. The new circle is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0

Your hosts are mcgsxr and Brad. Mark, if you could post a sticky with the guidelines, and then let's go :thumb:

YES!  :dance:

Thank you Borg, thank you everyone for participating, and thanks to Mark and Brad for hosting!

Let's all make this new circle a great one!

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2006, 12:28 pm »
Done, let's party, open baffle style!  Ahem, the circle is ready and waiting, for the fun to begin, let's go have some, and keep it gentle folks!